Corys in a 10 gallon?

1. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Would cory catfish(not very particular in what kind) work in a 10 gallon planted tank?

2. Nathan9 Initiate Member

Yes, you could probably have 5-6, depending on other tank mates.

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry but I disagree.
    A 10 G is to small for all fish (some killlis maybe) to my believe.

4. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

The thread dedicated to 10 gallon fish stocking makes me hesitant to believe you on this.

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

A small school of pygmy Cory's might be ok depends on your filtration,but since it's planted you should be fine.you should upgrade to a 20 long soon you will be able to have more fish.

6. cheese Member Member

I was told I can't even keep pygmies in a 10 by one of the stocking experts on here. because of the activity level, and where the cories hang out (on the bottom) they need at least a 20 long, no matter what species you get. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

8. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Ok, if no Cory would work. Is there another fish (if any)that would work with a school of tetra. My LFS has some really small orange tetras. I think they are ember tetras but can't remember.

9. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I would look at aqadvisor.com. With a 10 gallon, about 7 to 8 small tetras will max you out.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

11. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

From what I've seen on here, it seems like most users say that aqadvisor isn't extremely accurate or don't trust it whatsoever.

Not trying to be difficult but I just want to make sure. Thanks for all the replies.

I have looked at that stocking list a little. But if I remember correctly it doesn't show combinations of fish that would work together and not overcrowd the tank.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't trust it, and many other members don't either. Some do though.

And find fish you like from that list and we can help you stock them appropriately :)

Or if you tell us what kind of fish you like (colors, shapes, etc.), we can suggest species.

13. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Would platies work with the tetras? I am looking for fish that I could have a few of and are pretty cheap.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do 1 male platy with a school of ember tetras. Or you could do two male guppies. Or even something like this:
    8-10x Ember tetras
    4-5x Hara jerdoni (Asian stone catfish)

15. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Ok thanks! I'm still a ways out from getting this tank planted let alone the stocking part. I want to wait until I get the stocking complete in my 55 gallon African cichlid tank.

16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    No type of cory imo is suitable for a 10g.

17. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Thanks for the welcome.I just wanted to make sure cories weren't an option before writing them off my list. Right now Im thinking about ember tetras and platy.

18. Pikachu13131 Member Member

One time aqadivisor told me that 6 guppies would stock a 30 gallon tank to 101%.i don't use it anymore,i don't think anyone should.

19. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

So I was at my LFS and while looking around I came across a gourami (I think) that really caught my eye. Can someone ID this fish and tell me if it would work with ember tetras in a 10 gallon? If so it would replace the platy I was planning on.

[​IMG]

This is my first picture so tell me if it doesn't open correctly or anything else that went wrong.

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like a honey gourami, and also not appropriate for a 10 gal.