Corys In 10g Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ajoyfulbettta, Jun 18, 2018.

1. ajoyfulbettta

ajoyfulbettta Valued Member Member

i've heard corys are fine in a 10 gallon with a betta or guppies, and my most trusted fish person said it safe for them, but on here i mostly heard negative things about corys in a 10. what would be the reason for saying they wouldn't be a good fit? i want a small community, and i wanted corys in it out of al the fish! it just be them and two guppies, is i could add anything else i would, but that would be overstocking. please give your opinion!

2. Photobelle

Photobelle Valued Member Member

If you get the pygmy cories they would do ok in a 10 g I have heard. They are pretty cute too

3. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Pygmy cories (6 of them) can go in a 10 G with 1 betta or 1 or 2 guppies, you want to keep the tank at 77F, and have a good heater to be able to hold that temp, the cories don't like it too hot and the Bettas don't like it too cold.

4. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Well Known Member Member

It's mostly the 1" of fish per gallon rule. So basically you could have a maximum of 10 total fish in a 10 gallon tank and that's overcrowded due to smaller fish needing more than 1" per gallon vs larger fish.

5. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

i really wanted a classic looking one, like a speckled or panda, would those still be ok?

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Cories are very active, need a larger group (at least 5, they show much more natural behavior), and are fairly dirty fish as they are not cleaning fish, despite what some stores will tell you (they need their own diet tailored to them, they are not algae eaters as it provides little nutrition to them). Most cories get over 2 inches, and a ten gallon is only 20 inches long, which is not enough room for them to swim like they normally would. Temporarily or as a Qt it would work, but long term can affect their health.
    Dwarf and pygmy cories are able to live in a ten gallon as they stay very small, pygmy and hastatus cories are not bottom dwelling like other cories, while habrosus is mostly on the bottom part of the tank. Since they remain smaller the length of the tank is acceptable for swimming room as it is 15-20 times the length of the fish itself. My biggest habrosus is barely over an inch (female), my biggest pygmy is just under an inch. Both of my schools (7 pygmy, and 7 habrosus) are in ten gallon tanks with shrimp. The pygmy are more active than my habrosus, the pygmy also use the whole of the tank for swimming, my habrosus are mostly along the bottom with very little midswimming action.

7. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

As said above pygmy would be recommended. Sure you could keep normal size corys alive in a 10 but thats like keeping an elephant alive in a small cage barely bigger than it. Just because it can move and is fed and cleaned doesn't mean it's good for it. A tank too small will effect their health in the long run. Maybe upgrade to a 2o long if possible? You'll be able to keep 6-8 normal corys and that would open up possibilities for other fish as well.

8. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

would these be fine and how many?  

9. Mcasella

With a betta I would only do 5-6. You do not know how the betta will react to them.

10. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

not a betta, two guppies!

11. Mcasella

Same amount, the betta and guppies would take up the same amount of space in a tank and you never know how they are going to react to the dwarf cory.

12. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Corys are a very active fish and enjoy large schools. A 10 gallon just isnt an ideal situation for them as you cant keep a small school in there and theres hardly any swimming room for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice