Corys Dying With Red Spotch!!! Help

1. FishyFan2018

FishyFan2018 Valued Member Member

Today 2 of my coryes a green and an albino dead were found dead at different times. Both had a big red spotch on one side. What is it???? Is it contagious???? How can I treat it. Water paremeters are good. Did 25% water change day before yesterday. I have several other corys and fish in this tank, will they catch it??? HELP!!!

2. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Here is picture of one.

Attached Files:

3. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

That looks an awful lot like an injury. Are there any fish in the tank that might try to suction onto the side of the cories? Any decor that they could get caught in/on?

4. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

I have 2 plecos buy they don't bother the corys. 1 was found when we got back from town at around 1 cst and then the albino just died about 15 minutes ago. Both had same thing. They were both fairly new I had only had them since wednesday. If it was an injury would it delay? Nothing in there is agressive or unstable that might cause injury. I'm just worried about my other cories. They were literally perfectly fine right before they died then they died. Swimming fine playing fine then sinking to the bottom dead. I will definately be keeping an eye out for agressive fish though in case. So should I just watch and see if any others die?

5. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

When did the red splotch appear? Do you mean they were perfectly fine, then they died, and THEN the splotch appeared? Or were they swimming around with the red splotch and then died? Do any others have a red splotch?

6. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

The first we didn't see but the albino pictured was swimming fine no redness then all the sudden swimming irratically red spot dead in like a minute. Albino had been eating and playing and swimming just fine prior. No other fish seem to be sick but these didn't either.

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

8. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

I checked it yesterday and it was at 0. I will retest though just to be sure. My paremeters have stayed pretty steady at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 4-5 ppm nitrate. I just checked nitrate and nitrate is 4. But didn't test ammonia so will do that now.

9. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

10. Stumpy_Demon

Stumpy_Demon New Member Member

I can not figure it out. The parameters are good ( ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 4) and new corys went in day after i did 2/3rd monthly exchange and cleaning. Is a very docile group in that tabk. Havent done anything that could injure them and havent disturbed tank since they were introduced. Just concerned as 2 of the 3 newest corys have suddenly died today within 5 to 7 hours apart same strange red pattern only on one side. Have never seen this before and worried might spread to my other corys..

11. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I have no idea, but I have seen my BN fin a couple of corys in the past , one died hit in gill the other fine other than a red mark on it's side. I've never seen or heard anybody mention it in the past and have not seen it happen with the new BN.

12. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

My baby sailfin avoids all the fish and mr. Pleco is big he would have ended up consuming the poor cory. I don't think that's it but I will definately watch for that though as I'm worried and I can always move the plecos to one of my other tanks if I need to I just prefer to leave them in my big one as it is the biggest and has the most algae to consume.

13. Sarah73

Did you add anything new or not common? Any new water?

14. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

No nothing.

15. Sarah73

Your pleco started sucking on the dead Cory because he was just eating. What kind of pleco? Most eat veggies. Like zuchhui, pepper, water melon, etc. No need to move the pleco. Now for the cory tell me exactly what you have done since you found the dead Cory. Did you acclimate?

16. f

fudge New Member Member

Maybe blood pooling from filter suction

17. Sarah73

Never heard of that.

18. f

fudge New Member Member

Probably shows more on a white fish

19. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

The pleco never sucked on the cory that I know of dead or alive. We did acclimate. We floated for 10 minutes then did the 1 cup of tank water in the bag every 15 minutes over I think an hour or 45 minutes. (That was what I had read to do when I first started my tanks and killed my first batch on accident making rookie mistake of just dumping them in) now I always acclimate plus I don't want any bad water going in my tank from the stores so I don't dump the bagged water in the tank water.

20. f

fudge New Member Member

The more I read it does seem more like ammonia burns do water changes add plants up the biomedia