Corys darting to the top

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

My corys are rushing to the top of the tank to get air I think does this mean there's not enough oxygen, I do have a air stone in there

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Mine do that a few times a day from what I know its normal.

3. bescher Member Member

Cories naturally will dart to the top to gulp some air. They don't do it all the time but will
    Do it. Some days more than others. This is natural for them so don't worry about it.
    It's when your other fish start staying at the surface and gulping water is when you need to start worrying about oxygen levels

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Perfectly normal behaviour, corys have an organ adaptation that allows them to take oxygen from the air & store it as well as from the water.
    Oxygen levels at the bottom are less than higher levels so coming up to take a gulp of air every now & then allows them to stay at the bottom much longer, it's nothing to worry about unless they're doing it constantly :)

edit: clarification

5. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Ok thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They are an anabantid?
    Wow never knew that.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oops, I didn't mean to say labyrinth organ as in the same as Bettas, but they do have an adaptation that allows them to store air, I've edited the post, sorry for the confusion

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh lol