Corys Crazier than normal.....

1. Emze17

Emze17 Valued Member Member

Sorry for the long post...
    Sunday I done a major overhaul of my 26 gallon. I pulled out all the old ornaments, replaced with new, repositioned all the plants and just generally changed everything.

While doing this I noticed 2 of my pandas have round bellies - more round downwards than outwards.
    Ive 6 pandas in total but all are eating and active.

Ive noticed an increase in their chase/play behaviour aswell these last couple of evenings (they mostly rest through the day). At some points after chasing they seem to be pinning each other down (see pic). This is my first time owning pandas and while im used to their very playful nature something has definitely changed!

Ive managed to get 2 videos - one of them chasing and one of them doing the pinning down thing. However on the pinning down vid, someone on the TV swore so have taken stills from it instead!. The other is ok! Just to say, the panda being held down is flat bellied, its the round bellied one thats holding him there!

Im really hoping your going to say this is mating behaviour just so its normal! Ill be devestated if somethings wrong with them :( theres no signs of illness, unless the round bellies are....

I did test water this morning using API Liquid - 0, 0, 10

Ok, i dont know how to attach a video, hopefully pic has showed up though.
    1467750916536.jpg [​IMG][/URL]

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're spawning, the "pinning down" you're seeing is the female taking sperm from the male to fertilise the eggs before she lays them, it's called the T position

3. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

congrats!;) my bloodfin tetras are doing the same thing, hopefully you'll get eggs out of it!

4. OP
    OP
    Emze17

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I was so worried i'd caused a problem by changing everything around on Sunday. They were quite stressed after all the change, in fact my Neons/Cardinals were more relaxed about it all and were out and about exploring much much quicker than the Pandas. I'm not worried about having babies - of course if they lay and any actually remain long enough to hatch then fantastic, but i prefer to worry about what I already have rather than what I could have. Just love these guys so much :) I can breath then :D

That would be amazing, but i've just read that cory eggs are like caviar to fish lol. If they do lay and some hatch then amazing, but if it doesn't happen, i'm happy just knowing these guys are OK :)

5. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

Oh well, maybe a few fry will make it. Cross your fingers! :)

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They'll spawn pretty regularly now they've started though in a community tank most of the eggs will probably be eaten though you may be lucky & get the odd survivor every now & then

7. OP
    OP
    Emze17

If they lay and any are lucky enough to make it, we've a few stores that may well take them. I know i had difficulty in finding somewhere with any in stock as they sell so fast. Will let nature take its course though i think