Corys Bored Or Tired

1. fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone I really love my corys and I wanted to ask a question so when I don't walk by my tank as much I see that my corys are basically sitting being bored or tired but when I walk over to look at my fish the corys start to swim and get all excited and move around the glass it the area I am at as if trying to get my attention but when I leave that area I spy on them and see that they go back to being bored and dosing off in to space sorta thing so I was just wondering if any of you had the same experience here's pics of them staring off into space 28cdae0662be4471904ec6bef6dbde53.jpg 3408ebccf0d951c36a328803210aef8b.jpg e23bdaa859bdd25b886fb9364ca697f1.jpg

And also i haven't seen that one cory scratch at all the past days so it was problemly a one time only thing

To show a better visual this is pretty much all my fish on one side of the tank trying to get my attention and yes I'm working on donating the goldfish dd90d16622bbeab259b3a9630a7ae321.jpg da2256f679c478f0a5d2e44573312c36.jpg

2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Have you done any water tests: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates?
    How long has tank been set up?
    Any new additions?
    Tank size? Occupants? Temperature? Ph?

3. OP
    OP
    fish time

Tank size 20 gallons tank has been cycling for a while all fish show no signs of sickness no new additions yet temputerature is about 74 or 73 degrees occupants are 1 small dojo loach, common goldfish soon leaving though , 2 pepper corys upgrading school though , and 1 rescue panda cory from bad conditions can't find my water testing tubes yet but the tank is running nicely

And I did a water change about 2 days ago and the reason why I will donate the goldfish later is because I rescued him from a feeder goldfish tank and has been with me for about 3 months now as he gets It least 2 inchs I will donate him I just don't want to take him to his death at the feeder tanks

4. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

The two Corunna varieties won't mix community wise so you would need to up both schools, which you don't have space for.

Lack of the minimum 6-8 school would totally explain their behaviour, though they are some beautiful Cory you have there! You have many stocking issues but seem to be remedying them yourself so well done for that.

5. OP
    OP
    fish time

Yeah I originally had 2 panda corys but the day I got them and acclimated them 1 did not make it so I just have a lonely panda

6. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

That is a pretty bare tank.
    My cories do the same, they rest a lot and anytime I come close, they get busy.
    Nevertheless, you should add more plants for cover, they don't like being exposed and would enjoy places where they can rest under and things to investigate.
    Check out @DoubleDutch tanks, he has wonderful tanks for his cories with leaf litter to explore, etc.

Not sure if you own a pleco too, but most likely those pleco wafers are for vegetarians only and suitable for corydoras. Corydoras are mostly carnivorous and need something like sinking shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.

7. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

It's good that you are aware of your stocking issues. Try to work those out as soon as you can.

Since you are doing a fish-in cycle, it's really important to locate your testing tubes so you can monitor the water parameters. You will likely need to change the water frequently until your cycle is complete.

In terms of your cories, I agree that they should feel more comfortable with a larger group. I would suggest 6 in a 20-gallon. The panda should be rehomed. The loach will need to be rehomed as well. You do not have enough space in a 20-gallon.

I also noticed that your tank appears very bright. The substrate is such a bright white and your background (if you have one) appears very light. There isn't much plant cover. The cories will feel much more secure with more plant cover. Maybe consider some driftwood or a cave-like structure. Real plants have many benefits if that is something you'd like to try. I understand if you don't want to change your substrate, but I would at least consider a dark background.

I think your first priority needs to be rehoming the goldfish, panda, and loach. Monitor your parameters and complete your cycle. While that is going on, you can add a dark background and some more plant cover. After the fish are rehomed and your cycle is complete, you can get more of the same type of cories. Then you can add a small school of peaceful fish and maybe a small centerpiece fish.

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would lower the temperature. 23-24c is too warm for the goldfish, dojo and peppered cories.

9. OP
    OP
    fish time

I guess that my tank is pretty bare it only has 3 plants and 1 terracotta pot in there but here is another better visual 9e30650b904d47d53f685c13006fabde.jpg e2792a137b543dc1473c9d053951d974.jpg d5d68d68c96c5bda6334bb63dcae59bc.jpg e65a93b9dad2950be49b9c42fd362677.jpg c2681698113dbeb2d75523e1df388261.jpg and also i see what you mean by upgrading the pepper cory school both my peppercorys and sometimes my panda will all school and if one swims away I notice the other follows behind and reunite again

10. Samuel97

They are a fish that love each other's company, you will be blown away by the difference when you get six of them together.

11. OP
    OP
    fish time

The petsmart I went to last week I remember they had 6 pepper corys and 1 sick dying one only difference is that the pepper corys they had were a lighter color not sure if that changes anything

12. Samuel97

Yours or theirs may well have discoloured due to stress, but don't buy fish out of a tank with a sick one in it as they may carry it, try another lfs? As long as it's the same genus they will be happy just different genus such as peppered and panda will not school.

13. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I always look at a tank and consider if I were in it. If I were a Cory, I would fear birds. That's instinct. They are a major danger in nature, and your Cory doesn't get "indoors".
    If I were in a group of two, as a fish that lives in large groups, I would wonder what had eaten all the others. I'd get a little wary, feeling like we were the last survivors in a zombie movie..
    If I were in a bare tank with white gravel, I would first dial down my colours. I would not want to be seen from above.
    If I didn't want to be seen, I would not move around much, unless I could feed. I'd need that. Extra movement? Not worth getting eaten for.

It kind of adds up.

The solutions - add a few more paleatus. Put in some rocks with overhangs for cover. If a fish has somewhere to run to, it will venture out. I would also get some plants in, once the plant eating goldie is gone. Areas of cover, shade from above, cover from "birds" - they will be transformed.

14. filtered_light

filtered_light Valued Member Member

I also made the mistake of too few peppered cories, so I sympathize!

I got java moss, water wisteria, and an Amazon sword (I am totally new at tropical planted tanks so aimed for what seemed hardy/easy.)

My little guys LOVE to hang out in the cloud of Java moss, and forage up the leaves of the others.

Also, I wanted to do all natural decor, but my boyfriend bought a few of the soft (feels like a jelly toy) fake anemones at Petsmart or somewhere, and we put those in to help give cover until the plants got bigger. And darned if the cories don't LOVE the fake anemones. I think because they are not only hiding areas, but soft and gentle on corydora skin.

Wishing you and your fishies much good luck!

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Funny thing is my Peppers seem to be the most social Corys I keep. Scavaging the tank after feeding like little submarines. See the (bad) pic of my albino peppers doing so
    So please follow the advices of the others. One tip crumble food so they have to search for their food.

BTW : Peppers come in different colors (darker and lighter). But never buy fish from a shop with dieing fish ! db1536c95434fc71c733bddc236c20a8.jpg