Corys Are Strange And Wonderful!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Greengirl87, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Greengirl87

Greengirl87Valued MemberMember

So about a month or so ago I needed a fish to go in a tank with my angelfish. He is picky and hadn't gotten along with swordtails or snails. Someone on here suggested corys. So I got 3 albino corys(that was all walmart had of albinos), and so far I love them! My angel, castiel, isn't bothered by them one bit! They aren't bothered by him either. Although, he does try to eat their shrimp pellets and algae waffers, because no matter how much I feed him he always wants more. Lol!

The corys' behavior is so entertaining as well! I love watching them shoot up to the surface for air. And when they nap in a little pile it is adorable. They have another strange thing they do, that I wish I knew why. I have a bubble curtain along the back wall, and they love swimming back and forth through it. This mostly happens at night, but not only. Does anyone know why they do this? I mean, it doesn't really matter, I'm just super curious.

One more question. I have one of the 3 whose fins were all severely nipped when I got it. They've all grown back nicely at this point, except one of his front side(pectoral?) fins. Will this fin just not grow back properly? Or do they take longer? The little dude gets around just fine with this stubby fin. I just wondered if there was anything extra I could do to help? All I've done so far is keep the water quality good, feed a well balanced diet, and when I first got them I used seachem paraguard for about a week. Maybe I should use it again? Idk. Tia for any replies!

2. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Hello and welcome to the cory addiction. I have over 100 cories right now. I have many baby cories that range from an inch to 3 inches. Now the nipped fins will grow back as long as your water is clean and your cycle is done. 100 May seem like a lot but I have over 70 babies right now. Second question you asked was why they like to swim through your bubble currents? It's just something they find enjoyable. They are also getting used to your tank, so dont worry about it. 20180617_111039.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

Wow that is a lot of corys! Ok, so since his one fin was pretty much gone, it is just taking longer to grow back. I wasn't terribly worried, since he/she gets around fine. I did want to get 3 more, so I have a total of 6, and walmart finally got more albinos in. But they are quite a bit bigger than mine. Will this be ok?

4. Sarah73

Of course it is alright. How much bigger though? Like it maybe harder for the little ones to get as much food as the bigger ones. I had to separate my smaller ones into another tank because they were never getting enough food, but that was because I had over 20 adults in my 60 gallon. I have them now in a 20 gallon long and there bellies are fat as heck. Yours should be fine though.

5. Adriifu

AdriifuWell Known MemberMember

I have two full grown peppered corydoras with seven tiny ones. Everyone does fine together, so I'm sure yours will as well. In case you have room left in the tank, here's a chart on angelfish compatibility:  

6. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnsonValued MemberMember

Cory’s are my absolute favorite! And mine happen to do the same thing with my bubble walls. I would imagine it’s almost comparable to a roller coaster and just fun and an adrenaline rush for them haha but definitely get more when you have the chance! They should be in schools of 6 or more, and the more you have the cuter it gets. I have a total of 11 and I’m obsessed with them.

7. Sarah73

Just looked at that chart and it's not the best advise. Kribs will attack angels fins or any other fins when breeding. Not a good choice.

8. Adriifu

Thanks for letting me know. Is everything else okay?

9. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

I would also like to know opinions on the other fish on this list. Though I think it is going to just be trial and error with my angel. I found out that when he was a baby, the people my friend got him from had him in with a koi. Which obviously didn't go well and they got rid of him. And for the almost 3 years I've had him, he was alone, except for I had a mystery snail in there. But he loved to pick on it. Though I think perhaps the corys have had a calming effect, because since I put them in he doesn't bother the snail as much. Swordtails are on that list, but my angel hated them. So I adopted them out. I'm thinking of trying rasboras. People have suggested them to go with angels. Can anyone tell me if they'll be fine with corys? I assume so, since the corys are just so chill.

10. Adriifu

I think a lot of them would work, but it also depends on the angel's personality.

I have kept harlequin rasboras with corydoras. They're perfectly fine.

11. Small TanksValued MemberMember

Cories are my favorite fish too!

Make sure you have at LEAST 6 of the same breed. You'll see a lot more shoaling behaviors and they'll be significantly more active.

12. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

Wow! It is hard to believe that they'll get more active! Lol! Yeah I know I need 6. But like I said, they only had 3 albinos when I went to get them. I considered getting some bronze, because a member here told me the albinos are albino bronze, and they should get along fine. But I decided to just wait for more albinos. And I was at walmart picking up camping stuff this weekend and diacovered that they finally got more in! Yay! But since I went to the lake this weekend, I didn't think it'd be a good time to add new fish. But it is def on my agenda for this week!

13. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

I’m new to cories too, had mine about a week and they are absolutely adorable. I have them in with celestial pearl danios. They get along so great!

14. Ohio Mark

Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

I've only had my cories a few months. I have panda corys in one tank, bronze in another. I'm fascinated with them and already hoping for more.

15. Sarah73

Yes, though mollies are big waste producers so you need a great filter along with non aggressive ones. Some mollies are very aggressive. You can't really pick them out. Like each one has a different personality. Someone told me to try angels and albino sharks together.... terrible idea (when I was a beginner. Lost all of my angels including some cories). You just have to see the temperament of your angel and plan to get peaceful fish.

16. Adriifu

I agree. I also think it depends on the tank size. Did you ever tell us the size, OP?

17. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

I did not. It is a 37 gallon. I run an undergravel filter and a tetra whisper 40i that I upgraded to be more like a canister filter. According to aqadvisor I'd be fine with the angel, mystery snail, 6 albino corys, and 6 harlequin rasboras. 92% stocking level and 102% filtering capacity, so it is pushing it a little. Of course that doesn't take into account the upgrade I made to the filter and having an undergravel.

I'm still on the fence about the rasboras. It is recommended that I have a slightly lower temp than what I keep it at if I add them. Plus they might be too quick for my castiel, he is a very jumpy angelfish. But they do have them at walmart like always. And if they didn't work out, I have a friend with a tank that would accomodate them, and they'd probably take them.

I'd really love to have a gbr or similar ram. But nowhere remotely close to me sells them. Plus I've read they are finicky. Not to mention expensive. So I gave up on that idea.

Then I thought I'd really like to have a dwarf gourami. Walmart where I live doesn't always have them, but sometimes they do. And they could be kept at my tank temp. Plus they are gorgeous and labyrinth fish are so cool! But I just don't know how castiel would react to a fish that large and bright. So I need to have a plan of what to do with him should it not work out.

18. Adriifu

Well, what's the temperature of your tank? I don't know if I'd go for a dwarf gourami. Seems a bit risky.

19. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

About 79-80F.

20. Adriifu

I keep my harlequins at 78 degrees with no problem. They usually prefer 73 to 82 degrees, so your tank should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice