corys and snails

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by jerilovesfrogs, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

:animal0070: hi!.....i have a 20H that has two nerite snails. they eat leftover food, debris and algae (when i get some!). i have wanted to get a few corys, but i am not sure if that would be too many "leftover food eaters" or not. i know corys don't eat algae in the tank, so that's where the snails come in. i don't know if having both would be over kill or not.

2. RhanWell Known MemberMember

You can always invest in some sinking foods for bottom feeders and have both :)

My cories get sinking crumbles fishy food, as well as a few shrimp pellets a few times a week :) cories still need their own food source, even though they happily eat leftovers - sometimes greedy guts fish (e.g. my finny pig platies!) don't leave much if anything for them.

3. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

yes sinking foods are a must for corys.....but can they live mostly on those, then have leftovers once in a while? also will they be too fast for the snails, and then they wouldn't have any? i do feed the snails 1 algae wafer once a day.....i know snails don't eat as much as fish. but would they fight over the wafers? obviously the snails aren't too fast.

4. RhanWell Known MemberMember

I have a mystery snail, and it is happy munching all over the tank. I pop in a slice of cucumber a few times a week (I'm going to try zuicchini next) to supplement it's diet, as well as algae wafers here and there. So far it seems to be doing well, it's shell visibly growing :D The cories are fat and happy too hehehe I think it's just a matter of balance really :)

5. REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

Just get some sinking omnivoire pellets or wafers from hikarei other wafers pellets will do also..

6. marina3Valued MemberMember

I have purchased the algae wafers from Hikarei for cory, and although the cory loves it, so my platies!!!
    Rhan, I tried the zuchinni for my snail...it went on by the zuchinni and not even stopped to see what it was???!!! I don't know what he is eating, really...it must be just leftover food!!!

7. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

hey marina! my snails were going crazy today over the zucchini! they left holes in it lol. maybe it takes them some time to get used to the idea? since they prob weren't fed that at the pet store.

i'm going to get the omivore wafers.....i already have the algae ones. so the corys can enjoy both. so i guess i'll go for the corys, seeing as the wafers will supplement what other food they don't get.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice