Corys and River Rocks?

1. Jahnikar Member Member

I've had river rocks (the kind you get in the crafts section at Walmart) in my tank as a substrate for several months now. Since I've finally upgraded to a 10 gal, I want to go ahead and get 3 panda corys. I'm a little concerned though since I know their "barbs" are sensitive and people typically recommend sand for them. I really don't want to change to sand if I can avoid it. The rocks have been tumbled so they have a smooth surface. Will they be okay?

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Id say it would be fine, I keep my cories in tanks with regular gravel and they are ok.

3. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

I'd say fine also, with one caveat: size. The pandas can damage their barbels by pushing the rocks around to scavenge for food.

Should be okay. I would keep the level low, though, unless you have plants. No more than 1 inch IMO.

Keep us posted! And we LOVE pictures around here, don'tcha know?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

river rocks are supposed to be smooth, so that part of it shouldn't be a problem.

5. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i've always had river rocks in my 29gal and when i had cories in there i never had any problems at all.

6. Lupinus Member Member

The most important part seems to be that is is smooth with no sharp edges.

7. apple429 Well Known Member Member

+1

+1

They will be okay, but I would recommend you keep an eye on them for a while. They are used to sand, but gravel will work, so if they do loose a barb, or fin, pay close attention for infection... these guys tend to be VERY sensitive. Hope this helps!

8. Jahnikar Member Member

Good to know! Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses! :;th I'll be doing a close inspection of the rocks this weekend when I do a water change but I'm pretty certain they are all very smooth. And I do keep a low level, just enough to cover the glass but not really be piled on top of each other.

Oh and don't worry, pics will soon follow ;)

9. Jahnikar Member Member

Got my pandas from Harpua2002 today! All 3 are happy and healthy and yes I will be posting pics tomorrow ;)

10. JQL Initiate Member

I heard that it is not because of gravel, it is because of nitrate level too high. Any thoughts?