Corys and River Rocks?

1. Jahnikar

Jahnikar Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've had river rocks (the kind you get in the crafts section at Walmart) in my tank as a substrate for several months now. Since I've finally upgraded to a 10 gal, I want to go ahead and get 3 panda corys. I'm a little concerned though since I know their "barbs" are sensitive and people typically recommend sand for them. I really don't want to change to sand if I can avoid it. The rocks have been tumbled so they have a smooth surface. Will they be okay?

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Id say it would be fine, I keep my cories in tanks with regular gravel and they are ok.

3. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +148
    I'd say fine also, with one caveat: size. The pandas can damage their barbels by pushing the rocks around to scavenge for food.

Should be okay. I would keep the level low, though, unless you have plants. No more than 1 inch IMO.

Keep us posted! And we LOVE pictures around here, don'tcha know?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +236
    river rocks are supposed to be smooth, so that part of it shouldn't be a problem.

5. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i've always had river rocks in my 29gal and when i had cories in there i never had any problems at all.

6. Lupinus

Lupinus Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The most important part seems to be that is is smooth with no sharp edges.

7. apple429

apple429 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    +1

+1

They will be okay, but I would recommend you keep an eye on them for a while. They are used to sand, but gravel will work, so if they do loose a barb, or fin, pay close attention for infection... these guys tend to be VERY sensitive. Hope this helps!

8. OP
    OP
    Jahnikar

Jahnikar Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Good to know! Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses! :;th I'll be doing a close inspection of the rocks this weekend when I do a water change but I'm pretty certain they are all very smooth. And I do keep a low level, just enough to cover the glass but not really be piled on top of each other.

Oh and don't worry, pics will soon follow ;)

9. OP
    OP
    Jahnikar

Jahnikar Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Got my pandas from Harpua2002 today! All 3 are happy and healthy and yes I will be posting pics tomorrow ;)

10. JQL

JQL Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that it is not because of gravel, it is because of nitrate level too high. Any thoughts?