Question Cory's and Ghost shrimp?

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm about to purchase some ghost shrimp (that is once I get my air conditioning problem fixed ...it breaks down almost every other day) Anyway I'm pretty sure the ghost shrimp will be fine with the platy, my x-ray tetras and apple snail. I'm a little concerned about the Cory Catfish. He is easily the biggest fish in my tank right now at 1 and a half inch. Will the shrimp be safe with him around?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No shrimp is safe after a molt but I'd worry more about the platy than the corys. My platys got very curious about the RCS I added to the tank and nibbled on them. I have no doubt that they would've been eaten had they been a bit smaller and/or newly molted. My corys have paid no mind to the new snails in the tank, sometimes they even go right over top of them on their quest for food and don't seem to think they're anything but rocks so I feel like they'd do the same with shrimp. My barbs, platys and mollies on the other hand still try to nibble them thinking they're food.

-Lisa

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awwww poopie! And I'd just ordered the shrimps yesterday. They'll be here tomorrow. Maybe it'll still be alright. My remaining female platy is quite non-aggressive. (I did have two extremely aggressive platys but they both went back to the pet store. The male platy to this day stays in a tank all by himself. That's how mean he was.) We'll see what happens.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just make sure there are a lot of hidey holes that only the shrimp can get into, give them lots of plants to hide in, especially moss, and they should be ok. The two invincible RCS in my 20g hide so well that I almost never see them if I'm not cleaning the tank. I thought they were dead for a few weeks because I didn't see them until I did a deep gravel vac. They like to burrow into the gravel and manage to get into little cracks and crevices that the fish could never get into.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom