75 Gallon Tank Corys and Dojo Loaches?

Gameynerd23

Hello, I've got a 75g stocked with 5 Dojo Loaches ranging from about 5-7 inches in length for the bottom and a few less than 40 assorted danios to occupy the rest of the space. I was thinking about Corys, how big some get, and how a lot of them like their water a little cool. I keep my 75g at 72-73 farenheit. It's got sand substrate with some large rocks scattered throughout. I run a Penguin 375 and a Penn Plax Cascade 1500. What I'm trying to ask is, can some kind of Cory occupy the bottom space with the Dojos or will the get picked on/ eaten? If it's a no, that's whatever, but Corys are so cute and I haven't been able to incorporate them into any of my other tanks. Thanks for the help!
You must be registered to see images

I asked someone at my LFS and they said it'd work if I got a large enough Cory that could kind of stand up for itself. What species of Cory would that be?

Freshfishguy

Hello, I've got a 75g stocked with 5 Dojo Loaches ranging from about 5-7 inches in length for the bottom and a few less than 40 assorted danios to occupy the rest of the space. I was thinking about Corys, how big some get, and how a lot of them like their water a little cool. I keep my 75g at 72-73 farenheit. It's got sand substrate with some large rocks scattered throughout. I run a Penguin 375 and a Penn Plax Cascade 1500. What I'm trying to ask is, can some kind of Cory occupy the bottom space with the Dojos or will the get picked on/ eaten? If it's a no, that's whatever, but Corys are so cute and I haven't been able to incorporate them into any of my other tanks. Thanks for the help!
You must be registered to see images

I asked someone at my LFS and they said it'd work if I got a large enough Cory that could kind of stand up for itself. What species of Cory would that be?
Since you already have 5 Dojo loaches I don’t think so. BottomDweller said in a post asking about this a while back: “The dojo loaches need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and the cories need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. Dojo loaches need at least a 55 gallon tank but even I that size tank I don't think you could have both.” We’ll see if someone else chimes in and says differently since you do have a large tank.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Since you already have 5 Dojo loaches I don’t think so. BottomDweller said in a post asking about this a while back: “The dojo loaches need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and the cories need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. Dojo loaches need at least a 55 gallon tank but even I that size tank I don't think you could have both.” We’ll see if someone else chimes in and says differently since you do have a large tank.
Thanks for your input. I'm still just researching this idea.

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Thanks for your input. I'm still just researching this idea.
Of course! Beautiful tank btw.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I don't see why not as long as you think there is room. It's not like Dojo's should be considered bottom dwellers.
As long as they aren't a dwarf species they should be fine. Anything from Pandas to Peppered should do well.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I don't see why not as long as you think there is room. It's not like Dojo's should be considered bottom dwellers.
As long as they aren't a dwarf species they should be fine. Anything from Pandas to Peppered should do well.
From the research I've been doing. I think something like Emerald Corys (Brochis splendens I believe) would work best. I'll keep looking into it, though.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

From the research I've been doing. I think something like Emerald Corys (Brochis splendens I believe) would work best. I'll keep looking into it, though.
I think whatever you prefer as long as they are comfortable at the temperature =)

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Quick Update:
I decided on Corydoras Splendens (Emerald Corys) and I called one of my LFS to get their input. The employee said they had some Emerald Corys and I got a group of them. Then, one of my local Petcos said they had Emerald Corys and J got a group of them, too. Come to find out, neither group is C. Splendens, but both are color variations of C. Aeneus. I was told by another LFS that tougher Corys that could stand up for themselves would work best with Dojo Loaches, so I'm curious if the ones in the tank rn will be able to or if I need to try to return them. The loaches haven't really been bothering them, btw.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jimbo Slice
Replies
Views
Plecomaker
90 Gallon Tank Which Loach?
Replies
Views
Miyyaro