Corys and a Betta, are they compatible?

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone, just a quick question. Right now all I have is a 10 gallon tank full of Java Moss and a Marimo ball with only one Betta in there and I'm just curious, would I be able to house four or five Cory Catfish with him? He's had the tank to himself for almost a whole month now, my ammonia and nitrite levels are both at 0 and my nitrate levels are almost at 0 (I have to update my aquarium info )
But yeah, I'm just looking to get some more movement in my tank and am just wondering what is compatible with a Betta, if anything at all.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The answer is sometimes. It depends on your Betta. Unfortunately it may just be trial and error and a back up plan is useful. Some people feel the risk is too much to trial it and always keep Bettas alone. I think they work well because it gives you movement in the bottom and top of the tank and my Bettas leave my corys alone. You also need to think about stocking levels. Corys are schooling fish and like to be in groups of at least 4, 6 better and can grow to 3 inches. That is a lot of fish for a 10g. There are a few threads debating it in the Betta section of the forum. A search there will give you quite a few people's opinion.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with claudicles. It really depends on your betta. I generally don't recommend it, particularly if your betta has been alone for a while. They are solitary fish by nature and are perfectly happy alone. Although several members keep bettas together with corys in ten gallon tanks, many recommend that corys be kept in larger tanks than a 10. Pygmy corys which stay pretty small are the only species of cory I see regularly recommended for 10 gallon tanks. You will get different opinions and different experiences from just about everyone, although most agree, if you decide to try it, have another tank ready to move either the betta or corys into in the event that it doesn't work out.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pygmy cories (C. pygmaeus, hastatus, or habrosus) are generally fine in a 10 gallon with a betta. I've kept them together many times myself. A backup plan is always needed, though, in case it doesn't work out.

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright seeing how I don't have a second tank quite yet I'm going to let the idea slide because I don't want any hurt fish, I'll do a search and read up some more just for the future.
Thanks for the input also, greatly appreciated.
The tank just seems kinda dead but I thought I could give it a little more life but I can always hold out for a new tank if I can find a good deal.

Thanks again.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cory's and bettas are generally fine together. I've yet to meet a betta that could do any damage to an adult cory. I've kept cories with bettas for years with no problems whatsoever. You could easily keep 4-5 cories in a 10 gallon with your betta. (Though you will typically see better schooling and movement behavior in a little bit larger tank. (20L or 29)

Joe

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with Treefork. Usally there okay together as long as theres enough space and hiding places for them and there no agression that harms the cory

Chris

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Another option is Kuhli loaches. I haven't heard of anyone else trying it, but I keep 4 in with my two betta boys and they love it. They wiggle in between the divider and play in the bubbles of the filter. The bettas don't really pay them much mind (I haven't ever seen them so much as acknowledge their presence) and they definitely add more motion to the tank. I've also heard of people having success with oto cats.

All of this does depend on the fish, though. My boys seem pretty peaceful (except to each other!) but my mom's fish has a habit of terrorizing or killing anything she puts in with him. Which to date is a shrimp, a few snails, and some white cloud minnows. Though the minnows were barely even bite-sized at the time so he probably just thought he was being given some gourmet snacks.

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright cool, thanks for the information everyone appreciate it all. Have been reading some more and like you guys have said it's just a matter of the betta so I'll give it a shot one day when I have a second tank in case something does go wrong.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom