Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Corydorys And Bristlenose Plecos Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by opinewv, May 14, 2019.

1. opinewv New Member Member

Can a school of Corydorys and 1 bristlenose pleco live in the same 60 gallon tall tank?

2. blue velvet keeper Well Known Member Member

what tankmates? just them?

3. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't see why not, but like said above; what are the tank mates?

4. Brittany Rismiller Valued Member Member

I have a large school of bronze corys and 2 bristlenose plecos in a 50 gallon and there haven't been any issues between the 2 species. I do plan on separating the 2 plecos since sometmes they get into fights. Like actual slamming bodies together and with their gill spikes out fighting I havent seen them fight for a while but I do need to rehome one. I'd love to set up another tank but am not able to right now.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

6. opinewv New Member Member

I am just in the process of deciding what to stock in my 60 gallon (36” W x 18” D x 21” H), Estes sand substrate. I plan a community tank. I’m wondering if the 2 bottom dwellers would get along with each other’s presence.

Thank you for your answer. It is exactly what I needed to know. Mine will be in a 60 gallon tank.

7. Brittany Rismiller Valued Member Member

You're welcome! I feed my bristlenose plecos zucchini and omega one veggie rounds, and I have omega one shrimp pellets for my corys. I just supplement the corys with the shrimp pellets since they're really good at eating up old food that may have drifted onto the substrate. They are perfect for filtering the sand since they're constantly sifting and turning it over. Helps release any gas levels that are built up, too. In case you're unfamiliar with Omega one, it is the safest for any kind of snails or shrimp you have in your tank. Omega one does not contain any kind of copper. And Omega one usually has premium ingredients for not a whole lot more in price than the other stuff [ ]

8. opinewv New Member Member

I appreciate the feeding advice, particularly for the Omega one as I have just ordered a variety of nerite snails for the tank. I am working on stocking the entire tank and am looking for peaceful centerpiece fish as well.

9. Brittany Rismiller Valued Member Member

Nice! I also have a zebra nerite snail and it's going strong. For medications (only when absolutely necessary) and food just be sure to look out for copper or copper compounds since it's harmful to invertebrates, such as your snails (and my snail and shrimp). I've got 4 amano shrimp. They are amazing algae cleaners. They also love the veggie rounds and even the flake food (also the omega one brand, the color enhancing one that is in a red container). Petco is the only pet store I've been able to find the omega one brand.

Since there are tons of peaceful fish out there it's hard to suggest any. Ive never owned rainbow fish but I have heard they are fairly peaceful and they do come on lots of different colors and a couple different shapes. Ive been dying to get boesemani rainbow fish. They're gorgeous and I've seen videos of them, they are pretty calm but don't stay in one spot too long.

10. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I've got a male and a female BN pleco in a 40 Breeder with a school of panda corys. All is well. I've also got bolivian rams for my bottom dwelling centerpieces. Three females. Thinking I might need to add a male or replace a female with a male. They're usually pretty peaceful and very colorful once they reach adulthood.

11. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I have had my cories kept in the same tank with two bristlenose plecos at one time with no issues, they really don't care about the cories and go about their own business.

12. opinewv New Member Member

Thanks for the feedback. I gather the Bolivian rams are not bothered by either the plecos or the Cory’s. I am tempted by a pair of kribensis but figured the bottom water column would be too crowded.

13. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I don't know a whole lot about kribensis, but from what I gather, you could do a pair instead of bolivians if you prefer. The males get slightly larger, but not by much.

14. opinewv New Member Member

Are Bolivians difficult to keep?

15. opinewv New Member Member

I have red-eyed tetras and Serpae tetras in another tank that I’d like to move into the 60 gallon. I am trying to figure out a focal fish for the tank. Would the tetras leave an angelfish alone, or would they nip at its fins?

16. opinewv New Member Member

I am in the deciding process. I have red-eyed tetras and Serpae tetras in another tank that I was thinking over moving to the 60 gallon tall tank. I’ve always wanted to have angelfish and kribensis but I hear that is not a good idea. would the tetras nip at the angelfish’s fins? I’ve had gourames before. They were pretty fish but not particularly interesting. I am open to suggestions.

17. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I've had pretty good luck with them. They're known for being fairly hardy. @jmaldo can probably tell you a lot. He breeds them. My profile avatar is one of my females. The hardest thing I have encountered is determining gender, and losing a male that refused to eat. He came from PetSmart though. That in itself to me makes it harder to get them to take off.

18. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

"Bolivians"
    One of my favorite fish. They are oblivious to other fish unless it's feeding time or they are spawning. They remind me of puppies, will always come up to "Greet" me (they know who the food guy is) LOL
    Basically a "Great" community inhabitant. I have kept them with Angels, Corys, Plecos, Tetras, Guppies and EBAs. In my experience a very hardy and easy to keep fish. I have raised a couple hundred. About to sell the remaining juvies.

Good Luck with your choice.

19. Brittany Rismiller Valued Member Member

Your bolivian Ram is gorgeous! [ ]