Corydoras won't eat

eligri

Not a loach, I know. But similar to my other loaches I guess..

Anyways, my Corydoras won't eat. At all.
Don't recall the exact type, but a pretty standard 1 inch corydoras group (4 of them) in a 15-20 gallon tank.
Kept them there for a week so far.
Temp is about 26-27C.
Only other resident in that tank is a betta. They get along fine.

The corydoras school, but won't eat at all and are extremely passive unless startled.

I have tried feeding at night, no success. I have placed the food right infront of them; no success.

The foods I have tried:
Frozen white mosquito larvae. Freeze dried bloodworms. Some form of meaty sinking wafers (forget the name, but quite popular with my shrimp, bettas, pleco and yoyo loaches). Algae wafers. Betta food. Flakes. Shrimp pellets. Granules.
Nothing works.

I keep the tank clean, so params should be fine. Running old filter media and been upp for about 2 months, so it's cycled.

What can I do?

Thanks

Edit: plenty of hiding spots also

eligri

Watched them for about an hour in the middle of the night; didnt even touch the food and barely moved.
They dont look pale and not insanely skinny, but have lost some weight.

DoubleDutch

got a pic ?

eligri

got a pic ?
Nope, not at home right now. They look a bit thin, but no sunken belly.

Katie Dawn

Nope, not at home right now. They look a bit thin, but no sunken belly.
Please take a few pics when you get home and post here. That will help folks here help you!

RayClem

What are you water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?

Bettas are pretty tolerant of water parameters as they often live in isolated pools in nature and live in small containers for the first months of their life.

Corydoras are scaleless fish who are sensitive to water parameters. I suspect this is a new tank since the only other inhabitant is a betta. If the tank is not properly cycled, the water might not be suitable for the corys.

eligri

What are you water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?

Bettas are pretty tolerant of water parameters as they often live in isolated pools in nature and live in small containers for the first months of their life.

Corydoras are scaleless fish who are sensitive to water parameters. I suspect this is a new tank since the only other inhabitant is a betta. If the tank is not properly cycled, the water might not be suitable for the corys.
It's not new, running very old filter media & décor (1-2 years old) and tank itself is about 1-2 months old. Should be fully cycled.

Wouldn't they be more skittish if ammonia was present? Don't have my water test kit at the apartment, but seriously doubt the params are bad. Been doing 1-2 wc's each week and quite minor feedings.

RayClem

Hopefully, the tank is cycled. But since you are noticing abnormalties, actually testing the water will be useful. Usually, you can take a jar of tank water to your LFS and get it tested there if you cannot run your own tests. Without test data, you are only guessing as to what is wrong.

eligri

Hopefully, the tank is cycled. But since you are noticing abnormalties, actually testing the water will be useful. Usually, you can take a jar of tank water to your LFS and get it tested there if you cannot run your own tests. Without test data, you are only guessing as to what is wrong.

I'll bring my test sticks here, should give a rough value.

But I'm 99% sure its not water params. Not the regular signs of ammonia, with exception to lack of eating. No red gills, no stress, no breathing at surface, etc.

50% WC didnt do anything either, which should have helped if it was just slightly bad params.

Anybody else had trouble feeding these fish and solved it? Should I try yet another food?

otterblue

Perhaps you could call the store you got them from and ask what they fed them.

DoubleDutch

I'll bring my test sticks here, should give a rough value.

But I'm 99% sure its not water params. Not the regular signs of ammonia, with exception to lack of eating. No red gills, no stress, no breathing at surface, etc.

50% WC didnt do anything either, which should have helped if it was just slightly bad params.

Anybody else had trouble feeding these fish and solved it? Should I try yet another food?
Of course one should try other food.

Still no pics ?

eligri

Think they are doing well!
Havent seen them eat, but they look a little bit fatter now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
20 Gallon Tank Corydoras Food Crisis
Replies
Views
CaptainSupport
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies