Corydoras With Betta? Too Much??? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Billy T, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

Since I’m new guess I have to see No lol at least I’m asking though. I have a baby Betta, she’s about a inch in a 5.5G. Ultimately I would like to add her to a community tank. I’ve seen nothing but snails or ghost shrimp should be added to a 5.5G. I did experiment on aqadvisor though and seen if I got 3 Cories that we’re under an inch I believe the tank wouldn’t be overstocked, I think the Cories reach full size within a year so it would only be a short experiment and I would like to get a 30 gallon soon. I’m sure the wise thing would be wait and get 5 Cories when I get the 30G but just curious?

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Cory's need to shoal in groups of 6+ (I know I'm a hypocrite and don't currently have that). So I would advise against it, wait until you have the 30G. If you really wanted to add something to the 5.5, I'd go with a snail, as bettas sometimes view shrimp as snacks.

Make sure you research really well who you are putting in the 30G (when you get it) with the betta, as they aren't great community fish.

3. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

No community with betta under 20g. Bettas are simply too aggressive in small tanks like 5g... even shrimp and snails sometimes doesn't work. Plus, the cory's need to be 6 or more to feel safe, so you should definitely wait for your 30g.

4. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Yeah it’s like a want thing but she’s doing so well alone that I’ll prolly never even risk it. The first time I put food on my finger in the air she snagged it. I’m in love lol. Wish I knew how old she was. I bought her from Petco in the cup that said baby girl and I’ve had her a little more than a month

And the 2 fish I really want next are Tiger Barbs and Cory’s so that’s prolly what I’ll go with. I know definitely not to mix Betta with Tiger Barbs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  5. G

Gray Tiger New Member Member

In a 10 gallon tank, I actually had a male betta, 4 cories, and 8 guppies. Everyone got along fine.

6. OP
    OP
    Billy T

How many water changes did you do a week?

7. G

Once a week but we didn't have all 8 guppies in there from the beginning. Everyone is now in a palatial 20 gallon tank lol.

8. OP
    OP
    Billy T

How long did you have them in there and were they juveniles then

9. G

Most of them were together for about 6 months. Except two of the cories, all were adults.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Don't put in fish of which you've to upgrade ptetty soon. Even fry of fish that will get bigger need a bigger tank to grow to their full size in a proper way. I have some corys that I lept to long in a frytank. They're stunted.

Upgrade first and then get fish for it. Not the other way around.

11. T

TinaJen New Member Member

When I first started I had an 5 gallon tank and added 3 platties and 3 baby Cory catfish only to have all but one die the same day because I didn't know about overstocking and ammonia levels based on the amount of waste each fish have and considering Cory catfish need a shoal of 4-6 I just wouldn't recommend catfish in a tank under 10 gallons. Sorry, just from my experience.

12. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Thanks and no sorry necessary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice