Corydoras tank?

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I used to think they were bad but I've fallen in love with corycats! I have a 20gal and I was thinking of getting about 8-12 assorted corydoras and putting them in there with a Betta that's currently stuck in a small, cramped container :(. I was going to put some Java Moss and maybe some other plants in as cover and decoration. Would that work out?

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i wouldnt get much more than 8 and i would probly get the same species IMO but you can try it but get 3 of each kind would be my suggestion and the betta would be fine but you need cover for them so some caves or some plants that arent very high with larve leaves

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They will do great in the twenty, I would also suggest the same species and not more than six. If you want variety then you could get a mixture of green and albino C. aeneus.the betta would love being in there with them.
    I have a 29G set up that way except I have two black angels and seven Corys(two albino, five green C. aeneus) with lots of plants.
    Your Betta and the corys would love lots of plants also. It would make a very attractive tank.
    Carol

4. dahly Member Member

Great timing for this  Post!  They are having a drawing for children 12 and under for a number of  Betta's at the GCAS swap meet, Saturday.  I'll bring my boys, or at least the youngest and hope to win a Betta.  Meijer's (like a WalMart) is selling a 10 gallon kit for $20, (unless there's a better deal at the swap) and I'll put the Betta in with some Cory's (from the swap) and live plants (from the swap), for my son!  Not me, my Son, my little boy.  What a deal!   ;)

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I REALLY like the trilinear ones - if they have those I'll get 5 and a few green C. Aeneus. If the green ones don't like it I can move them in with my other ones in my main tank :)

Thanks for the advice!

6. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

i would love to get some corys soon after i get another platy :D

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Marc the triliner ones are very nice. Corys need at least 3 of their own kind and are happy, happy critters ;)
    Dahly- shame on you for infecting that innocent child with MTS :D Maybe mom would let you uumm him have that big tank if he asks ;D
    Carol

8. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

"Meijer's (like a WalMart) is selling a 10 gallon kit for $20" the one that is cose to me is selling a 55g starter for less than $120

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

eek! i want one! :)

10. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

lol

11. Marc Well Known Member Member

So as to not stress the tank I'll have the Betta in first, then add 4 trilinear. If they are unhappy I'll add another, otherwise I'll add 4 of the bronze (aeneus)

Thanks for all the advice :)

12. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, the Betta will love the Corys. Mine are having issues with their little Otto brothers right now but they need more Ottos to defend themselves. The one-to-one ratio doesn't work ;D .

Rose

13. Marc Well Known Member Member

Hehe. This Betta is really peaceful and easygoing. NEVER EVER EVER seen him aggressive (except to my other rescued Betta).

I'll get pics as soon as I can, it'll be a nice tank! Some java ferns and java moss, going to try and make a cork mound and cover it with java moss (or something similiar) thanks to a tutorial I saw at plantgeek.net. Sandy bottom, BIO-Wheel power filter... Gonna try and get driftwood as a base for the ferns, too. Any other suggestions for decorations/plants?

14. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

i really think it started out as a curiosity issue and the ottos ran away and now it is a game of "tag" with the ottos not being at all sure they aren't on the menu for the next meal. i am not worried about the bettas eating them, just "scaring them to death". neither betta had ever been in with ANY other fish of any kind before and i am not sure they know what they are LOL. any way when they are within eyesight of each other "the race is on" until the ottos find a hiding place the betta can't get into.

Rose