Corydoras Sterbai Breeding Project

DarkOne

I was at my LFS last Dec to get some dithers for a tank and they had 5 sterbaI so I picked them up. They've been in a 10 gallon with 4 L128 plecos for QT. Yes, that's way overstocked but I was doing 50% water changes every day so water quality was good (under 20 nitrates). I moved the plecos out and the 5 sterbaI were by themselves while I was figuring out where to put them. I wasn't in a rush as 5 cories in a 10 gallon is fine and I was still doing 50% water changes every few days. Well, they decided to lay eggs last month. I rolled them off the glass and put them in a dip'n'pour with a couple of drops of meth blue. The first batch of eggs didn't do well and most of the fry died within a few hours. The breeders kept spawning every other day so the 2nd batch of eggs did much better and the newly hatched fry did much better.

I kept the fry in a 1 liter ziploc container with an airline and a bit of pilo moss. I was feeding them Golden Pearls 5-50 micron (like powder) for the first few days and now they're eating microworms. I thought I had 20-30 but it was over 40 but I've had a few losses so I'm currently at just under 40.

2019-04-04 22.47.22.jpg

I moved them to a Marina breeder box a couple of days ago and put a thin layer of CaribSea SuperNaturals sand.

2019-04-05 23.57.06.jpg

2019-04-05 23.56.25.jpg

DioAquatics

Looking great! Can't wait till they're of size so I can come and pickup some form 75!

DarkOne

I added a small catapa leaf (indian almond leaf) in the breeder box yesterday to see if it will help slow/stop the losses. Today, they all seem happy and healthy. I usually see 1-2 that don't look like they'll make the day but not today so that's a good sign. I have it propped up so it's sitting at a 45° angle and I noticed that half are hanging out under and around the leaf.

I put some decapsulated brine shrimp in the breeder box last night and I see at least half of them have pink bellies. I'm still feeding them microworms too.

I'm hoping the breeding group will still spawn. I'm going to start doing daily water changes again.

2019-04-08 13.29.46.jpg

No losses today but I was getting a bit worried that I wouldn't have enough fry to raise for those interested and keep a bunch for myself. I'm currently at 36ish fry. Welp, I saw them going at it again this evening and left them to it. I forgot about it until a few minutes ago and went to check to see how many eggs this time. They usually laid about 20-30 eggs each time so that's what I was expecting. I saw about that much on the right side so I picked them out and put them in a dip'n'pour. I looked around the tank and I see about 40-50 on the intake tube for the breeder box! A few more on the left side. I was taking my time trying to stick them to the inside of the dip'n'pour because I read that they have a better hatch rate when stuck to the side of the glass. I did a rough count and there's over 80 eggs!!!

bitseriously

Great work, wish I could sign up for some of your “product”!
Would you mind sharing some broader view pics of your setup, for those of us that are jealous and would like to emulate?
What is your source water? Do u know pH and hardness? Still doing 50% changes? What are you feeding the adults?
What’s a dip n pour? ops:
Thanks, and keep the pics coming!

DarkOne

Great work, wish I could sign up for some of your “product”!
Would you mind sharing some broader view pics of your setup, for those of us that are jealous and would like to emulate?
What is your source water? Do u know pH and hardness? Still doing 50% changes? What are you feeding the adults?
What’s a dip n pour? ops:
Thanks, and keep the pics coming!

It's just a 10 gallon QT that turned into a breeding tank. My tap water is pretty hard but TDS has come down in the last year or so to about 300 TDS. Ph is around 7.6 - 7.8. Temp was at 78°F but upped it to 80°F.

I was feeding them TetraColor Tropical Granules, Repashy (for L128's), Bug bites pleco and HikarI Sinking Wafers. They also got frozen blood worms once a week or so. Once I realized they were spawning, they were fed frozen blood worms almost every day with a few sinking wafers and bug bites. The water changes were about 5°F cooler than the tank water (75°F) to help trigger spawning.

Dip'n'pour is just a specimen container from Lee's.

I had 15 cories and 2 L128's in the 10g. 2 more L128's were added a day later but then all but the SterbaI corydoras were moved to another tank. The 4 L128's and 5 SterbaI were in the tank for another 2 months. 50% water changes every day isn't too bad since it's only a 10 gallon tank. I had a spare Aqueon Quietflow 20 so I added that and took out the internal filter on the far left. 4 plecos make quite a mess.

bitseriously

Great info, thank you! What a productive tank, in such a small package. Here's to 50% daily!
I gotta say (and this is by no means a criticism on you) it's frustrating for a relative newb like me (18 months in the hobby), to be doing the research and drinking the koolaid, where everyone is saying "oh no you can't have cories in a 10 gallon it's way too small, they need a 20long at least", and here you're killing it with 5 sterbais on top of 5 (6?) agassiziI and some not-tiny plecos in your 10. And your water is far from what everyone (who's "everyone" anyways? ) recommends for keeping much less breeding sterbai.
Here's to learning from every available source.

DarkOne

Great info, thank you! What a productive tank, in such a small package. Here's to 50% daily!
I gotta say (and this is by no means a criticism on you) it's frustrating for a relative newb like me (18 months in the hobby), to be doing the research and drinking the koolaid, where everyone is saying "oh no you can't have cories in a 10 gallon it's way too small, they need a 20long at least", and here you're killing it with 5 sterbais on top of 5 (6?) agassiziI and some not-tiny plecos in your 10. And your water is far from what everyone (who's "everyone" anyways? ) recommends for keeping much less breeding sterbai.
Here's to learning from every available source.

6 Agassizii. I had 1 that I found from 1 LFS and added 5 more from another at a later date when I found them.

Well, what most people say isn't completely wrong and is a very good rule of thumb to follow. Kinda like "do as I say, not as I do" but if you take other variables into consideration, it can be done. The general advice most people give is for someone running a regular display tank and doing weekly water changes, not 50% every day. My other tanks were occupied so this wasn't the best situation but I made it work for the 1-2 months before I could shuffle some fish around. Most of my breeding/fry tanks get at least 2 water changes per week, sometimes more depending on the situation. I have 5-6 display tanks that usually only get 25-40% water changes weekly but they're normally stocked. I will do an extra water change or two during the week every 5-6 months or so on those tanks to prevent "old tank syndrome" which is basically a buildup of excess nitrates and other minerals over time. Some people do large 75-90% water changes for the same reason but I rarely do more than 50%.

The key for breeding is excellent water quality more than anything else. Live and frozen foods to condition them is a close 2nd though.

bitseriously

Well said on all fronts.

DarkOne

Fry are doing great. No losses since last post. Looks like there's 1-2 unfertilized eggs from the last batch.

I won't be posting pics anymore so you'll have to take my word for it or unsub from this thread.

I spent some time watching the fry and eggs last night. I lost 2 fry yesterday and I see about 3-4 fry that might not make it. They're very small and thin and it looks like they're not eating (nothing in their bellies that I could see). The eggs were eyed so I was thinking they should pop any minute now.

Well, I woke up to about 50 newly hatched fry so I moved them into the breeder box. There's still about 30ish eggs left. 3 1/2 days to hatch at 80°F.

I dropped a small sliver of Repashy in the breeder box last night and it was all gone this morning .

No new eggs all week so the female(s) laid all her eggs in one day rather than space it out over a few days like last time.

DioAquatics

You got a cory breeding factory over there man lol I'm excited to be able to come and pick up a nice sized group to keep in the 75g

DarkOne

You got a cory breeding factory over there man lol I'm excited to be able to come and pick up a nice sized group to keep in the 75g
Not quite but at least the SterbaI are breeding. And frequently. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough for you, Lchi87 and cadd while still having enough for myself (I want a swarm! ).

I do want to try breeding the OLCs next. As soon as my rainbow fry are ready to move, I'm going to dedicate that 20L for OLC breeding. The rainbow fry seem to be doing really well with no losses that I can see and they all come to the front of the tank, begging for food all the time.

DioAquatics

Not quite but at least the SterbaI are breeding. And frequently. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough for you, Lchi87 and cadd while still having enough for myself (I want a swarm! ).

I do want to try breeding the OLCs next. As soon as my rainbow fry are ready to move, I'm going to dedicate that 20L for OLC breeding. The rainbow fry seem to be doing really well with no losses that I can see and they all come to the front of the tank, begging for food all the time.
One cory project at a time lol I think you have enough for all of us now haha is like a good number of them for the 75

OLC would be nice to have a huge school of them. I’m sure you can get them to breed the same as the sterbai. The rainbows sound super personable! Can’t wait to have some of those guys too!

DarkOne

I think it'd be easier to raise 3-4 batches of cories rather than 1-2. There should be enough for everyone but I think I want at least one more spawn just to make sure . You guys are gonna want a nice big group. A few more hatched this afternoon and there's still a handful of eggs left. I don't see any issues with the newly hatched fry so it's a good sign.

OLCs are much harder to breed. I've read some only spawn once a year (usually in the fall) while others get 3-5 spawns per year so it may take time. They also don't lay as many eggs as other cory species which is why they're so expensive.

All my rainbows greet me when it's feeding time so they won me over as more than just filler fish. Their colors don't hurt either .

I think once the sterbaI are ready to move, the rainbows can go with them. Cories grow pretty fast and I'm seeing 8-10 week old cories almost an inch long. It takes about 4-6 months for rainbows to get to that size.

DioAquatics

I definitely want a nice big school of these guys for the 75g, give the bottom part of my tank some movement. Good to hear the eggs and fry are all going good

Once a year?! They're some picky little buggers huh? Is there anything in particular that gets the OLC to start spawning?

DarkOne

I definitely want a nice big school of these guys for the 75g, give the bottom part of my tank some movement. Good to hear the eggs and fry are all going good

Once a year?! They're some picky little buggers huh? Is there anything in particular that gets the OLC to start spawning?
I have 8 bronze cories and 6 sodalis cories in my 75 gallon and I only see a few bronze during feedings mostly. I was thinking of throwing a few in there to see if that will help them come out more. I'll save about 20-30 for you

I talked to one breeder that said his breeding group only spawns in the fall no matter what he's tried. Some breeders get a few times per year but I don't think I found any reports or posts that have regular spawnings from OLCs or Green Lasers.

DioAquatics

I have 8 bronze cories and 6 sodalis cories in my 75 gallon and I only see a few bronze during feedings mostly. I was thinking of throwing a few in there to see if that will help them come out more. I'll save about 20-30 for you

I talked to one breeder that said his breeding group only spawns in the fall no matter what he's tried. Some breeders get a few times per year but I don't think I found any reports or posts that have regular spawnings from OLCs or Green Lasers.
I would think that some added friends would make your bronze and sodalis come out more. When I had the 6 habrosus I’m the 75, about half of them would be out and the other half hiding. That’s the exact number I was thinking, around 20-25

Well looks like you’re going to have to start getting things ready for when fall comes to breed the OLC.

DarkOne

I originally had 8 bronze and they're pretty active but only half come out regularly. I thought the 6 sodalis would help but they're all really, really shy. I was thinking another 15-20 sterbaI might help. There's already a ton of activity in the tank so it was never a high priority. I still have 10 pygmaeus in a QT that I need to move to my shrimp tank.

You'll need at least 20 for a 75g. Lucky for you, you know a guy that'll give you a good deal .

I've been planning the OLC breeding since I got them. They'll definitely be set up for breeding by mid summer. They'll probably need a couple of months to settle into a new tank.

DioAquatics

I originally had 8 bronze and they're pretty active but only half come out regularly. I thought the 6 sodalis would help but they're all really, really shy. I was thinking another 15-20 sterbaI might help. There's already a ton of activity in the tank so it was never a high priority. I still have 10 pygmaeus in a QT that I need to move to my shrimp tank.

You'll need at least 20 for a 75g. Lucky for you, you know a guy that'll give you a good deal .

I've been planning the OLC breeding since I got them. They'll definitely be set up for breeding by mid summer. They'll probably need a couple of months to settle into a new tank.
Another 15-20 corys should definitely help them feel more comfortable and come out more. If my habrosus don’t breed for me, I’ll put them into my nano bowl.

Hey I’m not mad at having at least 20 of them in the 75 many thanks to the cory connect lol

With the luck you’ve been having breeding, I don’t think it’ll take you too long to get them spawning for you.

DarkOne

1 day old fry in the front with 3 week old fry in the back.

2019-04-13 12.52.46.jpg

The older fry are doing well but I thought I lost most of the new fry. I found about 10-15 under the base of the leaf. Not sure where the other 50+ went. They couldn't get out of the breeder box grate and I haven't found any bodies. I think I'm going to go back to the 1 liter containers for the newly hatched fry.

28 more eggs this afternoon. Looks like they spawn every 8-14 days. Water changes doesn't seem to make much difference but it did rain yesterday. I cut back on frozen blood worms to every other day too.

The 1st batch of fry seem to be doing very well. 2nd batch has thinned out a lot but they also hide under the leaf so I can't get even an estimated count. I think I'm going to keep this latest batch in a container until they get a bit bigger before putting them in the breeder box.

New batch of eggs are starting to hatch already at 2 1/2 days. There's 3 or 4 scooting around this morning. I'm gonna leave them in the d&p for a few weeks before moving them to the breeder box.

I was cleaning the breeder box yesterday and there's more fry than I thought but still much less that where I started. I would guess 20-30 from the 2nd batch. The ones from the 1st batch are doing very well and getting big.

DioAquatics

How long do you think until they’re ready to be rehomed?

DarkOne

How long do you think until they’re ready to be rehomed?
I don't know but the first batch are growing pretty fast compared to rainbowfish so I would guess maybe another month? They're still gonna be too small for a 75 gallon but you can grow them out in one of your other tanks, maybe a 10 gallon for a couple of months.

I dropped a HikarI Sinking Wafer to see if they'd eat it. They had to wait until it was soaked and broken up but it was all gone by morning. They're still chowing down on microworms too.

Here's one of the 1st batch fry. About 1/2".

2019-04-20 23.40.27.jpg

Some like the top of this leaf but there's probably about 20-40 under it.

2019-04-20 23.40.06.jpg

DioAquatics

I don't know but the first batch are growing pretty fast compared to rainbowfish so I would guess maybe another month? They're still gonna be too small for a 75 gallon but you can grow them out in one of your other tanks, maybe a 10 gallon for a couple of months.

I dropped a HikarI Sinking Wafer to see if they'd eat it. They had to wait until it was soaked and broken up but it was all gone by morning. They're still chowing down on microworms too.
That's perfect. Gives me time to set up the new racks and get some tanks ready for grow out for them.

Geoff

Awesome project you got going there! I was just looking online last night for some sterbais. I have a school of them, but down to just 4. You must have spot on perfect conditions! I’ve had my sterbais for a few years and I’ve never noticed eggs. I have cherry barbs and a pearl gourami in the tank too, so maybe they eat the eggs if there ever were any.

DarkOne

Awesome project you got going there! I was just looking online last night for some sterbais. I have a school of them, but down to just 4. You must have spot on perfect conditions! I’ve had my sterbais for a few years and I’ve never noticed eggs. I have cherry barbs and a pearl gourami in the tank too, so maybe they eat the eggs if there ever were any.

Thanks! I have a breeding group of 5 in a 10 gallon that was a QT but turned into a breeding tank. That seems to be the case with a lot of new fish I buy. I did daily 50% water changes because the tank was overstocked (4 plecos and up to 12 cories at one point). I was looking forward to weekly water changes but with them breeding and the fry needing clean water, I'm doing water changes every 2-3 days. Still not too bad since it's only a 10g. I'm feeding them frozen bloodworms to condition them. Gouramis and cherry barbs would definitely eat the eggs and within minutes if not seconds after being laid.

All the eggs from the last spawn hatched by that evening (Sat). There were 3 eggs that weren't fertilized so I have about 25 newly hatched fry in the D&P. The 1st and 2nd spawn are still doing great and getting bigger every day. It's a lot of fun watching 50+ fry in the breeder box scooting around and starting to act like corydoras.

Geoff

The fry sure are cute little buggers. I’m glad they’re doing so well for you.

What part of Jersey are you in?

DarkOne

The fry sure are cute little buggers. I’m glad they’re doing so well for you.

What part of Jersey are you in?
Breeding rainbowfish definitely helps but there's still a learning curve with corydoras. The 2nd batch didn't go so well but better than I initially thought. This last (3rd) batch seem to be doing well but it's only been a couple of days.

I'm in northern NJ, about 10m from NYC. Are you interested in some cories? I'll need to breed some more if you are since I want to keep a swarm and a lot of the current stock is spoken for .

Geoff

I may be interested! If you’re going to breed more anyway, I’ll keep tabs on this thread.

I live in Stroudsburg PA, but I work at Picatinny Arsenal near Rockaway/Dover area.

DarkOne

Looks like I'm having much more success in the d&p with new born fry. I've been adding my GP mix from day 1 and at day 2 I added a few microworms and I see white bellies so they're eating the microworms. I'm still putting in some GP mix for added nutrition. I do about 25% w/c every other day and so far, I haven't had any losses (knock on wood).

The older fry are also doing really well too. I add a small piece of Bug Bites Pleco sticks and after it softens in the water, it's gone within 12 hrs. I've also tried a few pieces of Bug Bites granules and they're gone overnight too.

More eggs today. They're still spawning so I'll collect the eggs later this evening.

I had 2 losses from the last batch which isn't bad at all. They're just over a week old and will be moved to the breeder box. No losses in the breeder box.

I've been feeding microworms every 12 hrs as they can live for 12-24 hrs so there's always some live foods for the fry. I've also been feeding them Bug bites and ground up TetraColor Tropical Granules. They seem to go after the TCTG before the Bug Bites but everything's gone by the next morning.

The breeder box is getting covered with algae so I've been trying to clean a bit off with a brand new toothbrush. I'm also manually doing 25% water changes in the breeder box to get rid of most of the detritus that's been building up.

Another big spawn. I'd say about 80 eggs. I'm using a bigger d&p.

2019-04-28 19.22.20.jpg

Tried to clean the breeder box w/o moving the fry. Water is still a bit cloudy and I also put a ton of microworms in there. I lifted the pilo moss to take this pic and you can see the little fry hiding.

2019-04-28 19.17.09.jpg

There's more under the leaf. The bigger fry are in front of the little fry.

2019-04-28 19.18.00.jpg

I'm surprised how prolific these sterbaI are. None survived the first spawn but they spawned again in 8 days, 15 days, 9 day and 11 days. Seems about +/- 2 days from a rainy day. 3nd and 5th spawns were 80+ eggs.

More than half the eggs hatched this morning. I have a bunch of scooters. The fry in the breeder box are growing so fast, it looks way overcrowded. I've been doing 50% water changes in the main tank every other day to make sure the fry is in pristine water.

I'm also surprised how much the little piece of pilo moss has grown.

Michael Hammond

HI there Darkone. Very interesting thread, thanks for sharing. I Am a breeder of Scleromystax ( ex Corydoras ) KroneI based near Birmingham U.K. I have successfully spawned these fish about 15 times in the past 18 months. I am amazed ( and impressed ) that you have managed to spawn your C.SterbaI so regularly in relatively cramped conditions. You really have to keep up with the water quality in small volumes. Can I ask you,were your breeding stock wild caught, or tank bred? I've tried to spawn SterbaI many times without success.Also, I've never heard of Pilo Moss, is there another name for it? And what advantages are there for having it in the tank? Best Regards.

DarkOne

Hey MH! Glad you're enjoying this thread. And welcome to Fishlore! I have never seen Scleromystax in the US anywhere, local or online. 10 gallon (38liters) isn't too cramped for corydoras breeding. I think it's a perfect size as water changes are easy and there's enough room for them to swim around in. I was changing 50% daily when I had 4 plecos and about 8 other cories in the tank at the same time. The plecos were moved to a 40 gallon and the other cories were moved to a 30g. I was debating on whether or not I should try breeding the 5 sterbaI left in the tank (which is why there were still in the tank) when they spawned. I didn't condition them with good food so the eggs and fry didn't fair too well. Once I started feeding them frozen foods they spawned again and the eggs and fry were good.

I got the 5 sterbaI at my local PetCo so I'm guessing they're tank raised and from the looks of them, from different parents. It was the last 5 in the tank so I grabbed them on a whI'm as I was there to get CPDs and Ember Tetras.

Here's my setup:
10g tank with an Aqueon Quietflow 20 and sponge filter. Blasting sand substrate, just enough to barely cover the bottom.
100w heater (Cobalt NeoTherm)
Temp is 80°F. W/c temp is 72-75°F (50%)
pH 7.6
TDS 350
I haven't checked kH or gH in a very long time but it is pretty high.

Everything but the temp was not ideal for SterbaI breeding but they seem to manage just fine. They were in the tank for 2-3 months before the first spawn. I was feeding them frozen bloodworms every day with a few Bug bites Pleco sticks or HikarI Sinking wafers in the evening (always gone by morning). I've been giving them frozen bloodworms every other day now but it hasn't slowed them down, it seems.

Pilo moss is not a fully identified moss from the Pilotrichaceae family. It grows thicker and more lush than java moss but it's a very rare moss. Moss is great for all fry as it has infusoria and other microbes that newborn fry can munch on as well as give them shelter to hide in. It also sucks up excess nitrates in the tank.

DarkOne

Interesting that the eggs from the last 2 spawns have hatched in 2-3 days where the first few took 4-5 days. Keeping them in the d&p for a week seems to help survival rates. I think most of the fry have hatched but there's still a few unhatched eggs. Easily 80 fry in this spawn.

2019-05-02 15.02.00.jpg

Trying some different lighting to get better pics.

2019-05-02 15.02.17.jpg

the 5/2 fry are not in there yet, just wrote it on the breeder box. I would guess 60-100 from the previous 3 spawns. 1st spawn was a fail.

2019-05-02 15.02.25.jpg

DarkOne

So corydoras leave egg shells after they hatch and they don't dissolve. The first pic in my previous post shows a clump of egg shells with some eggs still unhatched so I left them alone. I did a 75% water change in the d&p with freshly declorinated water. I also cleaned up the egg shells and found that there were only 2 unhatched eggs. It's easy to tell because the shells float around but the eggs will sink fairly quickly. I put a bit of GP mix in case they're hungry.

2019-05-02 23.16.51.jpg

There's another smaller clump of fry on the other side of the d&p.

2019-05-02 23.16.03.jpg

DarkOne

The breeder box is getting covered in algae and I couldn't stand it anymore so I decided to clean it.

I thought pouring them into another container would be easy. Ha! Cory fry don't mind getting buried in sand so make sure you get every one before cleaning. I found about 5 buried deep in the sand. I had to use a baster and blow the sand around to get all of them.

I put the IAL and moss in the container (the little ones hide in the moss) while I was cleaning. When I moved the moss and IAL back to the clean breeder box, one of the little ones hitchhiked back in first. It's under the leaf. I threw out the sand and used PFS. I put more sand this time to cover the nubs that hold the dividers at the bottom. They were running into them at full speed when they get startled.

2019-05-05 22.48.34.jpg

Head count? 75 plus the hitchhiker makes 76 from my count. 3 different spawns.

2019-05-05 22.47.38.jpg

The one in the back, on the leaf is ok. It's just being dramatic .

2019-05-05 22.52.26.jpg

DarkOne

I'm going to have to move some of the first spawn out of the breeder box.

Water quality in the large d&p was getting harder to keep ahead of so I decided to break out the new Marina medium breeder box. I was hoping to move the bigger fry to a 10 gallon to make room for the new guys but I wanted to keep spot feeding them.

I count about 65 fry.

2019-05-10 12.41.39.jpg

Medium and Large Marina breeder box on a 10g. I put a piece of tape folded over as a handle on the large lid.

2019-05-10 14.20.18.jpg

DioAquatics

They’re looking good! Super excited to pick up my group!

Geoff

So cute. Almost like lil tadpoles.

DarkOne

They’re looking good! Super excited to pick up my group!

There are just about 20 of the oldest group reserved for you. I would say another 2-4 weeks.

I've been feeding them crushed TetraColor Tropical Granules and Bug Bites along with microworms. The bigger fry were vacuuming up the microworms so I started with the crushed granules last week or so. I still give them a ton of microworms from 4 cultures so there's enough left for the tiny ones. I do 50% water changes in the main tank every 2 days as well as blow around the detritus in the breeder box so it gets sucked out.

DioAquatics

Can't wait! They're going to give a lot of life to my 75 gallon for sure.

DarkOne

Disappointing morning. I was cleaning the medium breeder box last night and I didn't press the grate down all the way and about 2/3rds of the fry escaped into the big tank. I was able to find and suck up a bunch with a turkey baster but I probably lost about half the fry so about 30 left. The grate on the large box just falls into place but it's been broken in. The new one is a bit tighter and needs to be pushed down or it leaves a big enough gap to allow the fry to swim out.

It's been 14 days and no new eggs.

I'm gonng have to free up the 5.5g and set it up for the bigger cories in the large breeder box.

DioAquatics

**** sorry to hear about the fry. Hopefully you get the adults to spawn for you again so you can have some more, I know you wanted a big school of them

DarkOne

sorry to hear about the fry. Hopefully you get the adults to spawn for you again so you can have some more, I know you wanted a big school of them

I still have over 100 fry total so it's not too bad. I know you and Lchi87 wanted some but I'm not sure who else wanted some. cadd?

I just cleaned out the 5.5g and added some PFS. I'll probably move the bigger cories in there later tonight or tomorrow.

DioAquatics

Oh well never mind than lol. I think you have plenty for now. Yea I'm definitely interested in getting a good school of these guys.

DarkOne

I moved 25 of the biggest ones into the 5.5g tonight, leaving 51 in the breeder box. I might move all the fry in the medium box to the large.

KingD's 25 sterbai.

2019-05-13 00.05.37.jpg

The remaining fry in the large breeder box.

2019-05-13 00.06.05.jpg

DioAquatics

They look awesome! Can’t wait to have them in the tank!

DarkOne

Day 16 since last spawn - Another huge spawn of over 100 eggs today .

80ish fry in the large breeder box and 25 in the 5.5g all seem to be doing great. The 5.5g is a miniature version of what I want, a swarm of cories shoaling/schooling around together.

DioAquatics

Over 100 eggs?!?!? Sheesh man these things are prolific lol. Hopefully I can get them to spawn in my tank too.

I can't wait man! You're making me want to pick them up now lol

Geoff

You must have some good mood lighting for your fish lol. Do you play Barry White for them?

DarkOne

Over 100 eggs?!?!? Sheesh man these things are prolific lol. Hopefully I can get them to spawn in my tank too.

I can't wait man! You're making me want to pick them up now lol

Last big spawn was about 80 eggs and that was 16 days ago. They usually spawn every 8-15 days so I thought they were done. They must've laid the eggs between 3p-6p. It took about an hour to collect all the eggs into the d&p. I'm getting pretty good at rolling the eggs off w/o dropping them. The trick seems to be rolling them 180° so the side that sticks to the glass sticks to your finger, then rolling it off the same way in the container. I read somewhere that there's better hatch rates when the eggs are stuck on something. Makes sense as they wiggle out of the egg shells and it's harder if the shells move with the fry.

Your fry are eating crushed TCTG and Bug Bites. They don't seem to like the blackworm pellets I dropped in earlier today but the tank is usually picked clean by morning. I'm going to try some frozen tubifex and daphnia tomorrow. The fry in the breeder box are still on microworms and just starting to eat crushed TCTG. I'm trying to feed them well so they grow faster.

Rainbows might be ready to move but I need to clear the tank of all the guppy grass and moss before I can catch them.

You must have some good mood lighting for your fish lol. Do you play Barry White for them?
They're actually on the bottom shelf with 2 2200lumen shop lights for the shelf. Not too bright in the tank. I've been playing 80's classic rock on Amazon Echo while doing water changes

I did a water change 2 days ago, just before the rainy weather but I didn't use cooler water since it's being shared with the breeder box.

I also noticed my orange lasers have been more active than normal today. I might have to set up another 10 gallon to try to breed them.

DioAquatics

Last big spawn was about 80 eggs and that was 16 days ago. They usually spawn every 8-15 days so I thought they were done. They must've laid the eggs between 3p-6p. It took about an hour to collect all the eggs into the d&p. I'm getting pretty good at rolling the eggs off w/o dropping them. The trick seems to be rolling them 180° so the side that sticks to the glass sticks to your finger, then rolling it off the same way in the container. I read somewhere that there's better hatch rates when the eggs are stuck on something. Makes sense as they wiggle out of the egg shells and it's harder if the shells move with the fry.

Your fry are eating crushed TCTG and Bug Bites. They don't seem to like the blackworm pellets I dropped in earlier today but the tank is usually picked clean by morning. I'm going to try some frozen tubifex and daphnia tomorrow. The fry in the breeder box are still on microworms and just starting to eat crushed TCTG. I'm trying to feed them well so they grow faster.

Rainbows might be ready to move but I need to clear the tank of all the guppy grass and moss before I can catch them.
That's good to know, thanks for the tips with the eggs. I highly doubt any will ever survive in a community tank with rainbows but at least I know that if I ever decided to separate and spawn them (which I likely will at some point).

Depending on how big they are when I get them, I might put them in a 20L in the fish room to grow out some more before I out them in the 75g. That way I can feed them specifically without anything else eating their food. The rainbows will probably get a quick 1 week QT (just as a precautionary thing) and then go right in the 75 to grow.

How big are the rainbows now again?

DarkOne

That's good to know, thanks for the tips with the eggs. I highly doubt any will ever survive in a community tank with rainbows but at least I know that if I ever decided to separate and spawn them (which I likely will at some point).

Depending on how big they are when I get them, I might put them in a 20L in the fish room to grow out some more before I out them in the 75g. That way I can feed them specifically without anything else eating their food. The rainbows will probably get a quick 1 week QT (just as a precautionary thing) and then go right in the 75 to grow.

How big are the rainbows now again?

What do you have in the 75 gallon now? The sterbaI are 2 months old now. I would wait until they're at least 5-6 months before putting them in the 75g. Rainbows are 4 months old and just over an inch so you might want to put them all in the 20 gallon to grow a bit more. Lots of water changes will help them grow faster.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nj278
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies