Corydoras species only tank. Help

1. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have an empty 30G and I am wanting to do a species only Corydoras tank.

I want to know how to set up a tank that will be perfect for Cories! I plan on using sand as a substrate and moving my school of 6 Pygmy Cories over (I want to bump up their numbers)

What decor do I need? What plants do they enjoy? What species shall I add and how many? What is the best temperature for them? What is the best thing to do for them?

My pH is 6.8.

Thankyou :) x

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ooh sounds like a great project :)
    You'll need sand substrate of course & some wood, I find mine like broader leaved plants to rest on & search on for food such as anubias, swords & crypts
    Some moss on the wood not only looks nice but they'll also feed on the insuforia it offers, they may also spawn in it.
    I have oak leaves in my cory tanks & they love them either to sit under or to forage in, so if you don't mind coloured water have some of those as well
    As for temperature I keep mine around 24c.
    Are you only going to have pygmies in this tank or other corys with them? You could easily have a couple of dozen pygmies & a group of larger corys with them

3. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thanks for your help!

I'd like a big school of dwarf cories, either just the Pygmies or another kind too and I would like a larger species as they occupy different areas so I think it'd have more interest with a mix. What would you suggest? I am thinking wither Julii or Venezuelan Blacks but I haven't really looked into it much.

Is there a kind of wood that they enjoy or just any wood? I'll be oak leaf hunting in a few weeks then. Do you collect when they fall or when they're green actually?

Is any moss okay? I have Taiwan, Flame, Java and Subwassertang or should I order something specific?

I want to create the perfect Cory home and I do hope to get them breeding and I just absolutely adore them! And I have plenty of empty tanks to fill with fry ;)

4. Coradee

Any safe wood will do, I have mostly redmoor as I got it cheap, & any moss is fine I have java & willow.
    You need to wait until the leaves are brown & starting to fall from the trees, don't collect from busy roadsides or near industrial areas in case of pollution, get as many as you can then store them in a cool dark place & you'll have a years supply.
    I find the C.schultzei black although lovely to look at are quite lazy, unless there's food around you don't see much of them once they're adults.
    I doubt you'll find true Julli as they're not seen very often, most corys labelled as Julii will be Trilineatus.
    If you can find C. Venezuelanus aka orange venezuelans I've found them to be very active & great breeders. I've had two spawns off mine this week

5. atc84

atc84 Well Known Member Member

Cories also like hiding spots, so having a good amount of shade from light is recommended, which you should achieve anyways from plants and such. with a complete cory tank, i wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with some babies. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thanks guys.

Are the False Julii's similar looking to the true Juliis? I just love the patterns on them.

I have been looking into available Cories and have foudn a few I haven't heard of;
    Slate Cory
    Leucomela Cory
    Nanus Cory
    Rabaut's Cory

All of which are beautiful and I have no idea about them at all, so any information would be great. Would any of these work in the tank?

It currently stands at 6 Pygmies which I want to bump up to at least 10. What sized shoals and how many would you recommend?xx

7. Coradee

Trilineatus or false Julii are very similar hence the mislabelling in Lfs.
    You won't get Nanus as they're from the Suriname & according to the experts there's no collecting going on there as it's too dangerous.
    Slate corys are C.Concolor they're not that commonly seen though you can get them same with leucomelas & Rabauti, your Lfs should be able to order them for you, if they can't you could order online from somewhere like Rare Aquatics or Aqualife
    All the ones you've mentioned would work with the pygmies, I'd up their number to at least 12, & have a group of 8/10 larger corys. You could probably have more pygmies but 12's a good starting number & when they breed you'll end up with a lot more :)

8. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thank you.

I am ordering from this seller on eBay. It says they're all wild caught. I haven't used this seller before but they have the best selection of cories. These are the Nanus ones;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151244786542?var=450289642121
    If they're not Nanus, then do you know what they are or if they'll be suitable?

I would really like Pygmies, "Nanus" and Leucomelas could I do those and the "Juliis"?xx

9. Coradee

I wouldn't do 3 groups of the larger corys as you haven't room for good size groups, you could do two groups of 6.
    A word of warning, quite a few of the pics that seller is using have been taken off the net, some he's even cropped the copyrights off them, they're not pics of fish he has in stock.
    Having found that out the pic probably is Nanus, but that won't be what you get as they're not being collected, you could be sent napoensis or bilineatus.

10. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thanks for having a go at the ID. From the pictures I thought the "Nanus" and Leucomelas were dwarfs, sorry! They just have that itty bitty look.

Such a shame about their pictures. I really hoped I'd found a decent Cory supplier. My usual supplier has some Cories but not many different types. I'd be stuck with pretty "normal" ones. Not that that's a problem, I just thought about looking for something a little different :)

So, if I have 12 Pygmies, 12 Habrosus and 8 Julii (or false, whichever they turn out to be) does that sound like a good number? I won't be adding them all at once, I just want to have my final stock in my head just in case I spot the ones I'm after on my travels!

Do they need caves or will plant cover be okay? I have a few pieces of bog wood I plan on using but should I scape it so it has caves or will they find their own hide out spots?

I will be moving the 6 Pygmies I have once I've got the substrate down and the plants in and I've let them settle a bit. I want to add the larger shoal last as they tend to be the diggers so I want to give my plants a fighting chance.

Thank you ever so much for helping me plan this :D xx

11. atc84

Once the plants get rooted, generally after 2 weeks, the cories can't rip them out like larger fish can. They probably couldn't even uproot them from day 1.

If your tank is heavily planted with no excess nitrogen then you could add fish that habit the upper areas, since that wouldn't be overstocking.

Check aquabid for groups of 6 for cories, they'll be cheaper that way.

12. Coradee

13. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thanks. I am trying to do a more natural set up without man made hiding places in this tank.

I'm ip in Sheffield so Lancashire isn't too far, thanks for those links. We don't have any good aquatic stores anywhere nearby. The one I'd heard was great was the most awful shop I've ever been in! I'm really finding it hard to find good places to buy aquatic stuff. I tend to use ebay but then you don't really know what you're getting.

I may also send the ebay cory guy a message asking for a couple of photos of his stock, if he says no then I definitely won't be buying them, but if they look like they're healthy and good quality, I'll consider it!

Thank you ever so much for all your great help. I'm always nervous about trying to do something new and you've really helped ease my mind.xx

14. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

These are the pictures of the Nanus Cories from the seller. I was sent lots of photo's of their stock and they look healthy too. I think these little cuties will be my large shoal :)

$_0 (1).JPG $_0.JPG

sorry the pictures are tiny, I can't quite figure out how to put them in full size.x

15. Coradee

That's good they sent pics of their actual fish, always makes me wary when sellers use pics off the net.
    If you can work out how to post a bigger pic, I can show it to an expert & get a positive ID for you.

16. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

I thought if they said they wouldn't send me pictures, I wouldn't use them but as they did, I think I will.

I'll try and figure out how to enlarge them. Thanks.xx

17. atc84

those are really nice looking cories. I'd go with them. :)

18. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Could these be Napoensis instead of Nanus ? Not sure btw !!!

19. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

I am not very technically minded so I have had to take a photo of the computer screen and upload that, not sure how clear this is going to be but, here goes!

WP_20140806_037.jpg WP_20140806_048.jpg

These are the photo's that showed more individual cories, the others were of the shoal. I love the look of these little guys, I have no idea what I am looking at but Carlos, the seller said he keeps them at 25c pH 7.6 if that's of any help?xx

EDIT: they do compare pretty well to the Napoensis DoubleDutch!x

20. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd still say Napoensis. Beauties as well !!!