Corydoras Raggedy Fins

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Laurengr, May 19, 2017.

1. Laurengr

LaurengrValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've had these corys for a while now, and have notice a few tears in their fins. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they might've been like that since I first got them. If not, it happened early on. All my water parameters are fine, so I would be surprised if it was fin rot. Any ideas what the cause might be and how to treat it? They're in a community tank and quarantining them would be difficult 28] c8f24efac4c8fc18a824c8bc0da5366a.

2. Betrayer

BetrayerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +648
    They do look quite torn! If you could share a little more information, that might be helpful:

What size tank do you have?
    What other tankmates live with your cories? How many cories do you have in total?
    How long have you had them, and how long has your tank been set up?
    How are the cories behaving overall?
    Are they eating well, and what do you feed them?
    Any other pictures of them?
    What are you using to test your water parameters?

I know there are a lot of questions Any info you can share may be helpful in terms of figuring out the problem and how best to treat it.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Why are they all hiding in the corner under the filter? That is so not like my cories. Mine are out and about and all over the tank. Who is in the tank with them?

4. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,698
    You said in another post that you had peaceful tankmates... that is not quite enough info, we need exact tankmates. Anyways, my corydoras also had ragged fins when they first came in, took less than 2 weeks to heal up. Good water quality and an adequate diet should do the trick, a lot of people feed algae wafers and stuff like that to corydoras when they are carnivores.

5. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    It's a 130L tank, running two filters on it so there's plenty of filtration, water movement etc.
    In with them I have a pair of German Blue rams, a dwarf gourami, some neon tetras, a bristlenose, and a Siamese algae eater.
    I have 4x bronze and 3x peppered corys, I know I need to up the numbers but I want to make sure these guys are all good before adding more.
    Tank has had fish in it for a bit over four months now I believe, and was cycling for probably a month before that. 2 of the peppered and one bronze I've had since I first put fish in, and the others I've had maybe for a month. The three newer bronzes are the ones with fin issues, everyone else seems to be perfectly fine.
    The behaviour is pretty normal, but they have taken to hiding behind the sponge filter lately a fair bit. I'm pretty much putting this down to needing to get a couple more at the moment, but any suggestions as to why this may be are welcome!
    They are eating perfectly well, and are currently on mostly aqua one tropical flakes, and they tend to have a nibble on vege wafers as well. They were on nutrafin max until recently. I'm going to buy some frozen food soon if that's of any interest, am not entirely sure what I should be giving them in all honesty.
    I'll try to get some more pictures of them
    And I use the API master test kit. I've just noticed the pH is a little higher than usual (about 6.8) so I'm working on dropping that slightly, that's probably just because i did a large water change in the past week and didn't check the pH 28]

6. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    My peppered corys are always out and about, it's just the bronze that have started hiding the last few days. They do come out and swim around for a while sometimes, particularly one larger one ventures out on its own. Not sure why they've started doing it, kind of why I started this post, a bit concerned something's up

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,752
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I suspect the fins are torn cause of bad waterconditions in the LFS (or even the wholesaler).
    I'd do frequent waterchanges(the might go spawning as well hahaha) and possible some esha 2000 or so.
    Strange thing is I have 5 of these aeneus. The biggest but the most skittish Corys I have. possible quite sensitive for tanksize (panicking in smaller tanks). Don't feed veg-wafers. They are 95% carnivorious.

8. MissRuthless

MissRuthlessWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +386
    Experience:
    5 years
    I feed my cories shrimp pellets. They freak out for them.

I don't think it's impossible that the DG could have nipped them - mine was temperamental, and didn't like anyone in his space. Cories get in everyone's space indiscriminately, and they never learn who to stay away from. At least mine don't. It's not super likely, but not impossible either. I don't know much about rams per se, aware they're on the peaceful end of the cichlid spectrum but I own the other "peaceful" cichlid species (kribs and keyholes) and they have their nippy moments too. Just a thought.

Also, you say "fine" but what are your actual water parameters? Also why are you wanting to lower your ph? It's already pretty low. Are you using anything to lower it?

9. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,752
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Is there a double thread about this ????

10. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    Will start doing smallish water changes every couple days then, hopefully that helps! Not sure what esha 2000 is, have never seen it locally. The Veg wafers go in for my bristlenose and everyone has a little nibble sometimes is all, they're never in there specifically for the corys

The DG is probably more peaceful than the rams in all honesty - in fact the three of them tend to only bully each other occasionally. The male ram tends to chase everyone out of his territory but never have witnessed fin nipping, so I'm guessing it's not from that.
    0 everything really, I've never had nitrates in any of my tank surprisingly but it hasn't seemed to have any effects on my fish. I have heard that the API kits can be a bit dodgy when testing for nitrates however, so that might be why it's not showing up. And as for the pH I prefer it to sit at 6.5ish mainly for the rams, however everyone else in the tank seems to be doing well at that pH as well. I dosed a tiny bit of API pH down this afternoon, much less than recommended on the bottle for my size tank. I mostly rely on the driftwood I have in there to keep the pH down but I suppose since doing a large Water change it hasn't quite settled yet. I only have dosed the pH down previously when first establishing the tank, and it has stayed consistent since then
    And I don't think there is a double thread?? I will check thought

11. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    @DoubleDutch unless you're referring to another post I made about my cories today, it was similar in that I was asking about why they might be hiding behind the filter, and used the same picture.

12. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,752
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I wouldn't use Ph down !!!
    A stabil one is more important than a lower in my opinion.

13. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    eSHa 2000 is a broad spectrum fish medication. I've never seen it in the states. You will see it listed on this site a lot since it is the medication a lot of our members can get.

14. Betrayer

Ratings:
    +648
    I think your cories' fins should recover just fine. You have received some great advice from several members above. In summary:

1.) Try doing several partial water changes each week while their fins are healing. (Do you use Prime or something similar when you change the water?)

2.) Start feeding the cories a more carnivorous diet. Shrimp pellets are great. You can also do bloodworms as an occasional treat.

I would also suggest making sure that they have some areas of the tank where they can be at least partially hidden. When they have areas where they feel secure, they may feel more comfortable coming out from hiding.

Increasing the number of each type should also help reduce stress. I do agree with your idea to wait a little while as you monitor how these guys are doing. I wouldn't wait too long though. I would recommend setting up a quarantine tank for any new fish you plan to introduce to your tank. Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Finally, I don't think it is likely that your tank actually has no nitrates. Re-read the instructions for the nitrate test. It is more involved than the other tests and involves LOTS of shaking. It is easy to get a false 0 reading if you aren't following the instructions carefully. I know from experience -

15. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    I haven't been able to get the stable pH stuff I need unfortunately, it's always sold out. I'll try to not use it again though thankyou!

I'm in Australia and have never seen it here

Yes I always use prime now, I was using API stuff but decided the prime would be much better for the size tank I'll start to look into what better foods I can get, are shrimp pellets dry or frozen?
    Will definitely look into buying more decorations and plants for cover, maybe I'll end up doing a rescape!
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare tank, I decided to fill them all up. Would it be a bad idea to add fish directly into the tank? I've never had any infectious problems where I buy from, just singular fish that don't cope.
    I will retest today for nitrates!

16. Betrayer

Ratings:
    +648
    Shrimp pellets are dry. I use Omega One brand.

Rescapes are always fun! I think your cories will appreciate some nice options for cover. Do you have any live plants?

I find that a quarantine tank provides some peace of mind. I would be devastated if I introduced new fish into my established tank and inadvertently spread an illness to my healthy fish. Can a person get lucky and never have that happen? Possibly, but it is a risk each time.

Let us know your nitrate levels once you retest. I'm curious. I'm off to bed, but I'll check back in the morning.

17. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have two huge amazon sword and a java fern, and some other little thing I tried to grow from a tissue culture but is just growing really slowly and I no longer know the name. Local stores don't have a huge range of plants that appeal to me , and unfortunately where I live I can't get anything imported to me! I always keep an eye out for something interesting
    Managed to get a nitrate result! It was either 5/10ppm, I did it a few hours ago and can't entirely remember. It took much more shaking than I have been doing before but at least I have a result now!

Become a Fishlore Member