Corydoras,pictus Catfish, Rope Fish, Mbunas, And Peacock Cichlids

1. G

Gavin Chalmers Valued Member Member

Would 8 corydoras, 4 pictus catfish, 1 Ropefish, about 60 Mbunas, and 20 peacock cichlids work in a 220 gallon aquarium together.

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Ditch the pictus and cories, I'd replace them with sydontis cats.

3. emerald6

emerald6 Valued Member Member

Ditch the pictus, cories, and ropefish immediately. Then decide what kind of peacocks and mbunas you plan to keep, research their size and behavior, and work out compatibility from there; the general rules for Malawian compatibility are:
    1. Do not mix any Rift Lake fish from one lake to another lake
    2. Keep peacocks with other haps or less aggressive mbunas (like yellow labs)
    3. Keep the other kinds of mbunas with said mbunas
    4. Keep haps (this includes peacocks) with other haps
    5. Follow all other rules for fish compatibility (like size)

4. OP
    OP
    G

Gavin Chalmers Valued Member Member

I wanted red peacock cichlids, and the website just says Mbuna mixed cichlids but their scientific name is Pseudotropheus sp if that helps. And would a Trinidad plecostomus work in the tank. And how many sydontis catfish should I get. I'm getting the fish of off LiveAquria.com

5. emerald6

emerald6 Valued Member Member

Which "red peacock"? Also, mbuna mixed cichlids are usually (but not always) either hybrids or whatever got mixed up in the shipping. A Trinidad (or common) pleco will NOT work with any Malawian cichlid, as the cichlids will eat the eyes out of the pleco. Not all Synos will work with Malawians; most species (featherfin squeaker, upside down catfish, etc) require different water. Your best bet is to find someone that sells Malawian synos. The next best option is cuckoo synos, but they are not from the same lake as mbunas.

Synodontis njassae (Lake Malawi Synodontis)

Synodontis multipunctata (Cuckoo Synodontis)

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with emerald.

7. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about you do(Cichlids at a 1 Male per 14 Female ratio)-
    45 Peacocks
    45 Yellow Labs
    45 Acei
    45 Rusty
    15 Red Zebra
    25 Cuckoo Synos.