Corydoras not swimming

Aquaticguy

Hi.
I have 3 Corydoras and last night I saw one of them eat one of my guppy fry. Today, I saw two of them just laying around not moving, just rapid movement. One of them is almost on his side, and idk what happened. My other Corydoras is very active and is very healthy. Can someone please help me??

Flyfisha

Hey Aquaticguy ,
I am not going to say fill out the emergency template but others may find it helpful?
How old is the tank . Etc etc .
How long have the fish been in your water?etc etc.
the more information the better.

I am going to ask if you have tested the water for ammonia and what the level is for ammonia and nitrates?

Aquaticguy

I don't have an ammonia measuring kit right now, though I will buy one. I have normal test strips rn and it shows 0nitrite 10-15 nitrate. I will try to buy a good test kit like API's. My tank is a 16 gallon tank and it was running for 4-5 months now. I bought the Bronze Cory's the same day. I quarantined them while the main tank was cycling. The tank is home to 9 neons, a few adult guppies, and guppy fry. I separated the 2 Corydoras in a 5 gal. I am treating with salt and m blue right now. I feed them peas day to day.
Also I read about M. Blue and researched about it. It says it cured fin rot, fungal infections, etc. But I don't know if it will. Does it actually cure fin rot and maybe help with swim bladder??

Tigerburp

I don't have an ammonia measuring kit right now, though I will buy one. I have normal test strips rn and it shows 0nitrite 10-15 nitrate. I will try to buy a good test kit like API's. My tank is a 16 gallon tank and it was running for 4-5 months now. I bought the Bronze Cory's the same day. I quarantined them while the main tank was cycling. The tank is home to 9 neons, a few adult guppies, and guppy fry. I separated the 2 Corydoras in a 5 gal. I am treating with salt and m blue right now. I feed them peas day to day.
Also I read about M. Blue and researched about it. It says it cured fin rot, fungal infections, etc. But I don't know if it will. Does it actually cure fin rot and maybe help with swim bladder??
It might not help with swimbladder

Aquaticguy

What could help? And is my Corydoras on there sides a sign?

Flyfisha

A corydoras should not be on its side Aquaticguy so yes in answer to the question it is a bad sign.

Fresh water is my suggestion. But you have started adding medication and salt ? I would still change some water often.

From what I have read feeding peas is not going to help a fish much. Not a meat eater like a corydoras anyway. I would slow down on the food .

Aquaticguy

I can agree with the peas. What could I feed him, I did not feed him anything today, and I don't know if he can even reach the food since he is just on his side.

Flyfisha

I would not feed anything for a few days.
A healthy fish can go over a week without food no problem. A sick fish possibly will not eat anyway?

Tigerburp

I can agree with the peas. What could I feed him, I did not feed him anything today, and I don't know if he can even reach the food since he is just on his side.
Use a syringe or turkey blaster to direct some soaked pellets his way

Aquaticguy

Bad news: 1 died.
Good news: The other one can now maintain its body, and now isn't on his side. He also ate some of the food that I put a day ago.

AndEEss

Don't add salt to a cory tank.

Tigerburp

Don't add salt to a cory tank.
You can use salt for corys ,in small amounts

DoubleDutch

You can use salt for corys ,in small amounts
But why exactly adding salt in this case ?
What are we treating?

Aquaticguy

What are we treating?
I add salt if there are any other disease the fish has that the salt can sometimes help. I don't put it always, only when I feel like the fish has many problems.

DoubleDutch

I add salt if there are any other disease the fish has that the salt can sometimes help. I don't put it always, only when I feel like the fish has many problems.
"A shot in the dark-treatment" ?
When fish have many problems there is something terribly wrong.

Aquaticguy

"A shot in the dark-treatment" ?
When fish have many problems there is something terribly wrong.
Yea and the Corydoras couldn't even swim well so I treated with salt if there are any external parasites, or other disease since he was sick so his immune system was probably pretty weak at that point.

Tigerburp

What are we treating?
I am just correcting that user

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDin
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
  • Question
Replies