Corydoras Napoensis

1. platy21

platy21 Well Known Member Member

Saw a group of Corydoras Napoensis at the LFS today, said they were locally bred. I've never seen this species before and was wondering if anyone had any info on them? From what I've read they are pretty similar to the more common corydoras species. Their unit look is interesting though.

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

They are a species related to either Juliis or False Juliis. I forget which.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

They are in the elegans group.
    Highly doubting they are locally bred.
    Certainly not in large numbers I'd expect.
    What price ?

4. OP
    OP
    platy21

They weren't priced yet as they were still in QT. This place gets a lot of fish from local hobbyists so their selection varies from time to time. I've seen a lot of unusual species of fish there over the years. What makes you say they probably weren't locally bred? Are they difficult to spawn in the home aquarium?

5. DoubleDutch

Yeah there aren't bred a lot. But could be.

6. OP
    OP
    platy21

They were cool to see. I've never seen a cory with that type of body shape before. They looked just as at home swimming in the middle of the water column as the bottom.

7. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I hadn't heard of them before so I looked at pictures online. They look really cool! Are you thinking of getting any?

8. DoubleDutch

They are real bottomdwellers like most others.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

In the Pittsburgh area is a very active club with a great many very talented fish breeders. I know at least three who could easily have spawned C. napoensis, Eric Bodrock has been breeding a great many rare species for a number of years. He won't sell fish unless he's raised them himself.

10. DoubleDutch

I didn't say they aren't or couldn't but they aren't offered / sold a lot.

11. chromedome52

Not blaming you, DD, just informing. Pittsburgh has had some great fish breeders over my entire hobby-life, but you are on the wrong side of the ocean to be aware of them, so I was just letting you know. There are still a number of fishbreeding hotspots in the US, but people on forums don't normally follow the fish club information. Clubs are where the real fish breeders are at.

12. OP
    OP
    platy21

I wasn't aware that Pittsburgh is home to some great fish breeders. @chromedome52, if you don't mind me asking, are you from the Pittsburgh area?

13. chromedome52

No, I'm from SW Michigan, but I have attended many conventions, shows, and big events where I meet people from all over the US and the world. I sold some Tetras to Eric a couple of years ago, and I've bought a few fish from him over the years. I was also the Editor for local club bulletins, three different clubs, and I got to see a lot of the exchange bulletins from other clubs. Oddly, I've never actually made it down for a Pittsburgh event, though I wanted to a few years back (couldn't afford the trip at the time). If you want to see and hear about fish that are not going to be in your lfs, attend some club meetings, find out when their auctions are, meet people face to face, not over a faceless computer or phone screen.

A lot of lfs owners don't like clubs, they think the auctions are competition for them. I think some of them also dislike having informed customers!

14. OP
    OP
    platy21

Very cool. I would be interested in learning more about the local clubs and educational opportunities in my area. I've lived in the Pittsburgh area all my life and have somehow missed these organizations.

I found Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society and the Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society after a quick search. I will have to inquire more about their meetings and see what I can learn. It would also be cool to get some quality locally bred fish. I've been searching for a Sajica and Rainbow cichlid and they are tough to come by here, maybe there is a breeder in one of the clubs.

15. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Corydoras napoensis border on "periodically common" in Montreal. I think sometimes it has to do with which exporters are connected with which local importers. I have seen lots of napoensis here, at various points.

If it comes in, someone will breed it. I like the fish - it's a nice little Cory. I can't really say there is anything special to keeping it. It's hardy, like a temp ranges that is easy to work with (22 to 26) - an easy Cory.

There are probably fish that show up in the Netherlands all the time that we never see.

I gave a talk in Pittburgh 12-15 years ago, and if that club is anything like it was then, wow. It was one of the most dynamic clubs I have seen, and the fish in the auctions were really diverse.

16. OP
    OP
    platy21

I actually was messaging the club this afternoon and they had mentioned how they have speakers from all over the country scheduled once a month. I hope to attend a meeting here soon and check them out. They also have member auctions and recently had an aquascaping event.