Corydoras in gravel an option?

Oblivion
I was planning to get some Corys after my tank stabilizes and I was reading that they need sand to protect their barbels or something? Do I have to get sand? I really don't want to change out the gravel for sand...too much hard hard work for me. Will regular gravel be okay?

tkfury
I had some larger pea gravel before, never noticed my cories having trouble but I did notice that the sinking food would get inbetween the gravel and make such a mess. Since putting some finer pea gravel in, I still haven't noticed my cories having any trouble but they eat up just about everything now so there is less for me to vacuum. Just as an example, to get a size idea of what I use - the gravel is just a little bit larger than my cories eyes. (I know there is a grade scale but I don't know what it would be.)

I think as long as you stay away from anything too large or has sharp edges you should be fine. Cories probably would perfer sand but I don't believe its a must have.

lilsoccakid
they really prefer small gravel or sand. big gravel can hurt them

Oblivion
Hm...any other input? One says its okay, just be cautious, and they other says nay?

COBettaCouple
We got flat glass marbles when we got our first cories after reading about their barbels and they did great. Pool filter sand, smooth river rocks, flat glass marbles.. the main thing is to not have pointy edges so anything like those would work for the cories.

mlinden84
When I first got my cories, I had large smooth river rock (about 1/4 inch size pebbles) and they did fine.
I recently switched them to sand and they do love it! They have so much fun digging around and playing in it!
But I think gravel or sand is ok, as long as it isn't too sharp for them (but you wouldnt want sharp gravel for any of your fish ....)

Sabi
From what I see sand is best. Buut I can say that my cories seem to be doing good in smallish gravel.

jsalemi
Same here -- both my tanks have the smallest size gravel, and the corys do fine with it.

Oblivion
Would TopFin aquarium gravel work? It's the PetSmart brand and my Pleco seems fine with it. It's just that replacing all the gravel will be kinda hard for me...could I just like like 1/2 inch of gravel and sand on top or something?

jsalemi
Yea, TopFin's smallest gravel is fine -- that's what I have in my 10g, and the corys don't mind it at all.

tkfury
The thing with adding sand on top - its probablly going to sink down between the gravel and end up on the bottom. If it doesn't, you're still going to have to stir it and it'll end up under the gravel anyways. (You know how if you sift a bowl of mixed nuts, how all the larger pieces come to the top?)

Oblivion
So TopFin gravel esta bien? Alright cool. Thanks guys and gals.

jsalemi
Yea, the thing about TopFin is that they don't really make their own stuff, AFAIK -- it's made by the usual vendors, and sold under the TopFin label as the PetSmart house brand.

darkwolf29a
Gravel is fine for corys. I just make sure to use the smallest gravel I can get, in the biggest size bag. I found some really good stuff at Petsmart, that's nice and round, and the corys seem to love it.

I'm not a fan of sand at all. It's too much work, and you still end up with dirty sand. After I took mine out, I was VERY srprised at the mess it had become. I'll never use it again, that's for sure.

jsalemi
Check out the video of my panda's that I uploaded earlier into the Freshwater Videos forum -- you'll see them happily digging into the small gravel in my tank.

rileyrk190
I also have small gravel, and for years they did fine. I did add some sand in with the gravel about a month ago. They are MUCH happier with sand, and enjoy playing in it. However like I said they were totally fine in gravel. Maybe you can consider just adding a small patch of sand in the tank for them to play in? I bought a bag at lowes, and boiled it to be safe. This also removes a lot of the small particles and won't cloud up the water nearly as much as if you were to just dump it in. My cories were never happier

Oblivion
Like, I would love to have sand, it's just I am going to have a hard time removing all the gravel and putting in the sand...so that's why I don't want to get sand...because I have nowhere else to put the fish in to switch out the stuff.

Here's a pic to confirm my gravel

It is not rounded, but actually kinda pointy

rileyrk190
very nice tank! I'm sure your corydoras would be fine in that gravel. However, I added sand in with my gravel, pushing a bit to the side and making a few sandy patches. I was able to add the sand with the fish in the tank. I'm sure you would be able to find a dark colored sand if you wanted to add some, but your cory's would be fine in that type.

Oblivion
Ok thanks about the compliment and info.

BritishFishGuy
I was thinking of getting 4 or 5 Corys (Sterbai) for my 125L tropical aquarium but while looking around for info found that they are meant to be kept on small particle substrate as SHARP gravel can hurt their barbels. In my tank I have smooth Gravel so would Corys be happy in my tank.
I have 5 zebra Danios and 5 cherry barbs and I would be getting them on 26th JAN 2013 and my tank has been running for around 4 weeks.
Thanks BritishFishGuy

kinezumi89
Welcome to FishLore!

It's true. Some members have successfully kept cories in gravel tanks, but personally I quarantined one in a gravel tank and he lost his barbels. His name is Stumpy He's been in sand for a few months now but they haven't grown back.

Hope you enjoy the site

Jaysee
Welcome to the forum

It's true. Some members have successfully kept cories in gravel tanks, but personally I quarantined one in a gravel tank and he lost his barbels. His name is Stumpy He's been in sand for a few months now but they haven't grown back.

It's a good thing he doesn't have to "hunt" for food

Many members keep corys on gravel. I used to as well. Having switched to sand, there is no question in my mind that that is what they prefer. There are different kinds of gravel, and some are sharper than others. From what I've seen, the river gravel (what people call smooth) is the best. It's smooth because the water flow makes it so. The other kind of gravel seems like they just crush rocks, which can cause sharp edges. Now that gravel, if placed in flowing water, over time will become smooth, but it's not sold that way, nor is there enough water movement in aquarium to accomplish this.

Tonia
HI British Fish Guy!!!!

Welcome to fishlore!!! There is a wealth of knowledge here from some amazing members and lots of good ideas.

Sounds like you've got good plans for your tank and you're doing the research to make sure that your new tank mates will be happy in their home!

Again, Welcome!!!

Fashooga
I used to have gravel in my tank and I think my cories hated it. They would just sit there and only move during feeding time. Since I switched to sand (Pool filter I used) they been happy since. They dig holes and push left over gravel that I missed around.

I think it's a hint...

BritishFishGuy
Welcome to the forum

It's a good thing he doesn't have to "hunt" for food

Many members keep corys on gravel. I used to as well. Having switched to sand, there is no question in my mind that that is what they prefer. There are different kinds of gravel, and some are sharper than others. From what I've seen, the river gravel (what people call smooth) is the best. It's smooth because the water flow makes it so. The other kind of gravel seems like they just crush rocks, which can cause sharp edges. Now that gravel, if placed in flowing water, over time will become smooth, but it's not sold that way, nor is there enough water movement in aquarium to accomplish this.

where your corys active on gravel at all or where they swimming just better with sand
Thanks for the help, BritishFishGuy

Jaysee
They are more active with the sand, but I didn't have smooth gravel.

BritishFishGuy
Ok I think they keep them on gravel at my LFS so will ask them for more advice on them and whether they have ever had any deaths due to infection or anything like that, thanks again for all of your help
BritishFishGuy

Jaysee
Ok I think they keep them on gravel at my LFS so will ask them for more advice on them and whether they have ever had any deaths due to infection or anything like that, thanks again for all of your help
BritishFishGuy

To be honest, the fish store does not keep them for any real length of time. Their tanks are just temporary holding tanks.

BritishFishGuy
To be honest, the fish store does not keep them for any real length of time. Their tanks are just temporary holding tanks.
Ok then I will ask them anyway incase they have any experience with corys

Jaysee
Ok then I will ask them anyway incase they have any experience with corys

Yes, ask about THEIR experience, not what goes on at the store.

Butterbean
I have had my corys for a long time 3 years and up. I have gravel and have never even had a sick one so for me gravel has worked and I don't plan on changing it. However I do know most people recommend sand and some have had very bad experiences with gravel. The only reason I'm posting is to let you know they can do good on smooth gravel but that doesn't change the fact that perfect conditions for them is sand.

brodylane1122
I have had my corys on gravel (smooth gravel) and quite frankly I don't think they care for it too much. I only have one left, and will not be replacing them. I will be finding something else for bottom feeders.

plug
My experience was totally the opposite. I had Cory Cats and Emerald Cats on gravel, and they seemed pretty good, though I admit that some of the barbels were a little smaller (but not the Emerald Cats)
I switched to PFS and within a week all my cory cats lost their barbels and all eventually died. And all my Emerald Cats lost their barbels as well and died except for one, who is still alive.

I have since purchased another cory, a peppered cory about a month ago. So far, his barbels are ok and he seems ok, although not very active (not suprising since he is alone).

I also have 3 upside down catfish, and their barbels were not affected by the sand

Like I say, I think my situation is an anomoly, rather than the rule. But is is disheartening to see what happenned especially since the main reason I changed to sand was for my cory cats

BritishFishGuy
I have had my corys on gravel (smooth gravel) and quite frankly I don't think they care for it too much. I only have one left, and will not be replacing them. I will be finding something else for bottom feeders.
Did they die because they had hurt their barbels or did they die of old age
Thanks BritishFishGuy

brodylane1122
Did they die because they had hurt their barbels or did they die of old age
Thanks BritishFishGuy

Honestly don't know. I only had them for around 6 months.

BritishFishGuy
Thank You all
I will seriously rethink getting Corys

Jaysee
Thank You all
I will seriously rethink getting Corys

If Corys are no good, I don't see how any other bottom dweller will be.

JDcichlidlover
I know my featherfin catfish was losing his barbles because he was on gravel for most of his life. since I switched to sand his barbles are already looking better and he's out shuffling around more too
And of course my cichlids adore playing in it. lol

dezignstuff
I have 6 green corys (small) and have rounded gravel that's about half the size of the corys. All barbels intact and very active fish. They might enjoy sand more, not sure about that, but there's no lack of rooting around in that tank.

3aquariums
I have river gravel, very round, in a 75 gallon. The cories are green and sterbI and they enjoy digging pits in the gravel that I have to keep smoothing out. They also tunnel under decorations. They are most active when I get home. I haven't had any problems with them, but I did make sure to spend the money on the smoothest natural river gravel I could get.

Honestly don't know. I only had them for around 6 months.

My last batch of cories lived 4 years on smooth gravel. Hope this helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tnrsmomma
Top Bottom