Corydoras in cherry shrimp breeding tank?

  • Thread starter mang0
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

mang0

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
so little bit of a long story here, apologies. i got 3 corydoras for a 10 gallon tank, but the LFS sold me 2 different kinds (2 bronze one peppered) and told me they would school and be fine together. normally i do not trust fish store employees but i do trust this one as they work at one of the best fish stores in my city, are known for be super knowledgable. i knew a little bit about corydoras but took that gamble as everything else that the employee told me about other fish i know about was correct. lo and behold, this was a mistake as i have one lone corydora. and they will not let me return it, and i can't really give it away to someone else as of now.

i'll be getting a spare 10 gallon tank in a few months, and want to try out some shrimp breeding in it. but i'm thinking that i can put that one peppered in the 10 with the shrimp, get 2 more peppered and have those in the shrimp tank and then get another bronze for the other 10 gallon.

my question is will the corydoras in the tank impact their breeding at all? i've heard corydoras are safe for shrimp but want to double check. and i also plan to have IAL in the tank, i want to make sure those are safe for corydoras. TIA!
 
  • #2

jpaquatics

Active Member
Member
Messages
339
No fish is completely safe for shrimp, you might not lose as many as you would if you had tetras, danios, or another nippy fish like that, but there’s no guarantee the shrimp will be safe. Especially not shrimplets. I say go for it, the losses you have most likely won’t be enough to affect the shrimp’s overall population.
 
  • #3

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,923
Sorry to say but if they not allow you to return it after giving wrong advise (first principles of keeping Corys are.unknown ??) ) I think it they aren't quite as knowledgable as they suggest.
 
  • #4

SnookusFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,191
I keep pygny corydoras with shrimp and ghey dont even eat the newly hatched shrimplets which are tiny. I would say a bigger cory might although the new hatched shrimp are surprisingly quick at jumping out of the way
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

mang0

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
DoubleDutch said:
Sorry to say but if they not allow you to return it after giving wrong advise (first principles of keeping Corys are.unknown ??) ) I think it they aren't quite as knowledgable as they suggest.
yeah you make a good point, but i've realized it was just that employee. i've been back since then and all the others have been full of good info and helpful, it was just her. so i try not to ask her questions haha. some might say i shouldn't go back after that expierence but honestly they are really good and their fish are all super healthy (my only other option is a bad LFS or petsmart) so it is what it is. and they don't do any returns or exchanges, so it wasn't just my case but it's store policy. what can you do
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

mang0

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
SnookusFish said:
I keep pygny corydoras with shrimp and ghey dont even eat the newly hatched shrimplets which are tiny. I would say a bigger cory might although the new hatched shrimp are surprisingly quick at jumping out of the way
awesome, and i'll make sure to have plenty of hiding spaces. thanks!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

mang0

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
jpaquatics said:
No fish is completely safe for shrimp, you might not lose as many as you would if you had tetras, danios, or another nippy fish like that, but there’s no guarantee the shrimp will be safe. Especially not shrimplets. I say go for it, the losses you have most likely won’t be enough to affect the shrimp’s overall population.
sounds good, that's what i was thinking. and i'm not trying to have hundreds or anything, so some population control might be a good thing. thanks!
 
Top Bottom