Corydoras identifying and a question.

• Thread starter harleygrooo
  • Start date

harleygrooo

Hello, a month ago I picked up some Sterbai Corydoras. One of them is a little different as you’ll see. Was wondering what kind it might be.
E9D8715A-6CB1-4E1E-9F74-8C4782D63983.jpeg
DA9C9DE8-119E-4B3A-B576-CE6D474200EA.jpeg
My last question was regarding this Sterbai Cory;
0A4AA80A-C10C-471C-B97A-C5E857B427E0.jpeg
62197448-2565-455F-BFA8-5A75134FEB87.jpeg
does it seem a little sickly? Compared to its mates;
1B087DFD-8800-4442-9683-F8FC442B710B.jpeg
As you can see the last one is much larger and less pale in comparison, and bulkier.

harleygrooo

Note; the red stuff is their food, I got sinking pellets that have a red center that crumbles everywhere that they seem to not fully eat.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
The first one look like a C.agassizii but is, like the first C.sterbai not that healthy.
Did they arrive.like this?
Corydoras in fact should eat all the food (quite diffucult to overfeed).
Get some.other high protein food (shrimppellets, bloodworms, brineshrimp etc....)

Sorry to say but I doubt the sick sterbai is gonna make it.

harleygrooo

DoubleDutch said:
The first one look like a C.agassizii but is, like the first C.sterbai not that healthy.
Get some.other high protein food (shrimppellets, bloodworms, brineshrimp etc....)

The 3 larger ones came similar to him but grew to that size, this one hasn’t changed and had been this size for about a month now. One came DOA and was the same size. The one i first posted is about the same size as the other healthier ones. I have shrimpellets I’ve been feeding them, it’s what the extra red flakes are. It’ll be gone over night however.

harleygrooo

DoubleDutch said:

Should I get a better picture of that C.agassizii one? It’ll be going on a month in quarantine and I don’t wanna lose that one if I can help it.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
harleygrooo said:
Should I get a better picture of that C.agassizii one? It’ll be going on a month in quarantine and I don’t wanna lose that one if I can help it.
The doubt hasn't to do with the pic, but there are more species looking alike (young C.ambiacus for.instance).

It should be fattened up. It must be a wild caught fish. Could be an idea to deworm them though I suspect the C.sterbai to have an internal bacterial infection.

Personally I suspect they've been on a wrong diet before and therefor got vunerable for infections.

Good food, clean water.

harleygrooo

DoubleDutch Is pro corywaffers with shrimp a decent food to use? I have bloodworms but they’re getting close to needing to be tossed, I can also get blackworms for cheap. The 4 other Sterbai are all very fat and bulky thankfully! And have been growing quite a bit now. They all were tiny when I got them. Now they’re close to my C.Leopardus in size.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
harleygrooo said:
DoubleDutch Is pro corywaffers with shrimp a decent food to use? I have bloodworms but they’re getting close to needing to be tossed, I can also get blackworms for cheap. The 4 other Sterbai are all very fat and bulky thankfully! And have been growing quite a bit now. They all were tiny when I got them. Now they’re close to my C.Leopardus in size.
I am not familiar with these wafers, but they seem to be special for Corys.
Sidenote : The past months I got an Ichy feeling by the brand Tetra.
I noticed this brand often occures in a lot of issue threads lately. Mainly Corys that were only fed the flakes of this brand. Those seem not to supply the right minerals, protein and vitamins for Corys to stay healthy. If the other Sterbai are okay, that won't be the issue in this case.
Variation is keyword for me.

C.leopardus get pretty big !

harleygrooo

DoubleDutch said:
I am not familiar with these wafers, but they seem to be special for Corys.
Sidenote : The past months I got an Ichy feeling by the brand Tetra.
I noticed this brand often occures in a lot of issue threads lately. Mainly Corys that were only fed the flakes of this brand. Those seem not to supply the right minerals, protein and vitamins for Corys to stay healthy. If the other Sterbai are okay, that won't be the issue in this case.
Variation is keyword for me.

C.leopardus get pretty big !
They really do! I think you’re the one who identified them for me actually, they were supposed to be three line cory’s. They’re close to 2.5 to 3 inches now! Besides the one actual three line they can’t with. I’ve had bad luck with tetra flakes and the api sinking pellets. I was using the api brand for a bit but my water kept getting cloudy and milky after use, i did a 60% water change, switched foods and my tank looks much better. Besides the purple sand lol. I usually switch up the food every other day, between the pellets, blood/black worms. Looking for a 4th one to try. Any recommendations?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Not that familiar with brands overthere.

harleygrooo

DoubleDutch said:
Not that familiar with brands overthere.
That’s fine! Thank you though!

Oriongal

For brands available here, I usually alternate between New Life Spectrum Thera-A (or A+), XTreme Community Peewee, Fluval Bug Bites for bottom feeders, and Everything Aquatic bloodworm sticks (available online from their website). Sometimes also Aqueon Shrimp Pellets.

harleygrooo

Oriongal I’ll have to look at my local shops, I live in Vermont so I tend to find more live foods at my local ones at the moment. Bought sinking pellets online an they sent me veggie rounds instead of the shrimp pellets sadly.

Oriongal

Sometimes that's because they're not making a differentiation between shrimp pellets that are pellets meant for shrimp, and shrimp pellets that are pellets containing shrimp. Shrimp are fine with eating veggie rounds, so potentially they meant pellets for shrimp rather than of shrimp?

I believe Petco normally carries the NLS product line, and also the Fluval Bug Bites. I think I've also seen Bug Bites at Petsmart and Petland as well, but not sure. Can find NLS on Chewy and Amazon, and Bug Bites on Amazon. I found the Xtreme at my local fish store, and also on Amazon. The Everything Aquatic food is direct from their website, never had any issue with them sending the wrong thing.

Also forgot to mention Repashy. It's food you make yourself, a powder that you mix with boiling water and then pour into something to let it set (it sets pretty quickly). It hardens into a sort of gel that you can then cut up or tear into chunks, and corys usually like it (Grub Pie is a variety that most of them like). You can refrigerate or freeze unused portions for a couple of days as well (I haven't tried keeping it beyond that, so don't know what the upper limit on storing it once made is.) It's usually found in the reptile-food section, and IIRC also available from Chewy and Amazon.

harleygrooo

DoubleDutch! That reminds me, I’m not sure if you remember but awhile back you tried to help me identify a Cory that looks similar to the 1st one in this post, it was on black substrate. We got stuck in it either being the Agassizi or a blacksail. It’s about the size of my leopardus but a tad larger. Does that help narrow it down? I’ll try to get a picture but it’s shy lol.

harleygrooo

Oriongal said:
Sometimes that's because they're not making a differentiation between shrimp pellets that are pellets meant for shrimp, and shrimp pellets that are pellets containing shrimp. Shrimp are fine with eating veggie rounds, so potentially they meant pellets for shrimp rather than of shrimp?

I believe Petco normally carries the NLS product line, and also the Fluval Bug Bites. I think I've also seen Bug Bites at Petsmart and Petland as well, but not sure. Can find NLS on Chewy and Amazon, and Bug Bites on Amazon. I found the Xtreme at my local fish store, and also on Amazon. The Everything Aquatic food is direct from their website, never had any issue with them sending the wrong thing.

Also forgot to mention Repashy. It's food you make yourself, a powder that you mix with boiling water and then pour into something to let it set (it sets pretty quickly). It hardens into a sort of gel that you can then cut up or tear into chunks, and corys usually like it (Grub Pie is a variety that most of them like). You can refrigerate or freeze unused portions for a couple of days as well (I haven't tried keeping it beyond that, so don't know what the upper limit on storing it once made is.) It's usually found in the reptile-food section, and IIRC also available from Chewy and Amazon.
They sent me the correct brand, just the one food type haha! It was Omega One. Here’s what it looks like, image.jpg
And this is what I had ordered, think it was just and error by accident. F841582E-A31A-4057-9F7D-FFDE56D7574A.png
im interested in the Repashy! Might have to see about getting some.

Top Bottom