Corydoras Id

1. Mr-and-Mrs-Bubbles

Mr-and-Mrs-Bubbles New Member Member

We picked up a new Cory to put with our others, but we can't seem to identify what he is. "Munchkin" is much darker than our green so maybe he isn't one? Any and all help is greatly appreciated :) 1527166810628730387644.jpg

2. DaloAquatics

DaloAquatics Valued Member Member

Looks like a emerald green corydora. They can be darker like that.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :)
    That is not an Emerald Cory, but a Bronze :)

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

5. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Def bronze. I'll show you the difference. Emerald is more green. Bronze is more brown. They also have different size differences. I got an emerald and bronze beside each other 20180511_122656.jpg 20180524_093945.jpg 20180524_093844.jpg

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Emerald Green, Corydoras/Brochis splendens (they're arguing over the genus again) has more rays in the dorsal fin with the first spine longer than the rest of the fin. @Sarah73 , your photos are all Corydoras aeneus. The short, rounded dorsal fin makes this an easy ID. The splendens is also much greener, but the dorsal fin is the best way to differentiate the two. Many stores simply don't know the difference, or don't care.

Corydoras aeneus is a variable fish with a wide range in the wild. Also, there are populations sold as aeneus that are different species, or may be different species.

and @DaloAquatics , there is no such thing as a "Corydora". The word is Corydoras, whether singular or plural. It is the name of the Genus these fish belong to, so even one is a Corydoras. A common mistake, and one that I believe is often caused by auto-correct.

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

The first one is an emerald. The last picture is an bronze. Look at the colors. First one is much lighter while the other one is a brownie color.

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

The first one is a C.aeneus as well to me.

The fish of the OP is too.

9. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Agreed that every picture in this thread, comments included, are Bronze. Bronze can have a greenish tint.

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

As I said, the two species are differentiated by the dorsal fin. Look at the Dorsal Fin.