Corydoras Id Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by FishyFan2018, Mar 22, 2019.

1. FishyFan2018Valued MemberMember

Got these thinking they were pandas and they are so not pandas so need to know what kind they are so they can go in the proper tank. The one I know was definitely not a panda but looked so different than any I saw before I got it anyways (yes I know bad bad but figured better off with me where I can put him in a tank with correct perameters than in a noobie tank with incompatible tank mates). They are in my quarentine tank.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Both interesting wildcaught ones.
    My guesses.

1 C.elegans
    2 In one way C.ephippifer jumps in mind (color) but can go wrong completely here.

3. FishyFan2018Valued MemberMember

Ya I have absolutely no clue. My fish guy just said that they came in as assorted so he had no way of knowing for sure. But they seem happy and active and so far healthy.

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Please place some more pics of the second one.

5. FishyFan2018Valued MemberMember

This is the other one.

Attached Files:

6. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Interesting! My LFS often has “assorted wild corys” but I certainly don’t have the identification skills to feel confident about buying them.

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Hahahaha the pics are exactly hiding some ID-points such as dorsal and shape.

Looking at the striping, the yellow color on the head and the long dorsal in the earlier pics point towards C.schwartzi but I think it shape isn't high enough

8. FishyFan2018Valued MemberMember

IMG_20190324_180241.jpgIMG_20190324_180238.jpgIMG_20190324_180241.jpgIMG_20190324_180238.jpg

It's fast and very shy but I'll keep trying to get a decent pic lol

Attached Files:

9. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

First looks like bilineatus, with irregular spotting in inverse instead of clean dots of elegans.
    With the other I wouldn't say schwatzi due to the lack of dorsal line (white in just about every one I've seen, including the ones I have). I'd say agassizii, but the pattern is too fine and has a clear line down the side in the last picture. Maybe melanistius? (@DoubleDutch ?)

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

To be honest I doubt it is C.bilineatus (two lined) but think you are right with C.melanistius.

11. FishyFan2018Valued MemberMember

I was thinking melanistius for the black and white guys. Still not too sure on the other guy yet but thanks guys for the help!

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

One thing is sure : It is from the Elegans group.

13. FishyFan2018Valued MemberMember

I agree.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice