Corydoras have Swim bladder and no swim bladder at the same time?

darkcat

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallon high
How long has the tank been running? About 9 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? About 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 corydoras, 1 gzl, 1 betta, 5 neon tetras. Ik that the corydoras are low but we had 6 but 4 died. I'm thinking of letting them be.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Trying to do once a week.
How much of the water do you change? 50
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No fish in
What do you use to test the water? Api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Just did a water change should be 0.
Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? When all fish is not bloated.
How much do you feed your fish? 3 sinking wafers, 3 pinch of pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
Do you feed frozen? Yes once a year
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
No
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last Friday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Seems to float at last Friday night, and Saturday. However seems to turn right yesterday and today
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No, maybe becoming paler.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

So it's having swim bladder issues but sometimes he's okay. Does he have swim bladder? Sometimes, he floats on accident and rotate, but other time he can rest still. Does he have sbd?? If so, what can I do?
It looks like it has swim bladder. It's getting worse and worse. Can somebody tell me advice? Please!! I don't want any more corydoras to die!

SquidBones

A lot of information to unpack there, I’m not sure you needed to type out all that information first thing, just state what your issue is and answer anyone’s questions if they have one. Just to help lessen what you have to type out.
Anyway if your Cory is having issues staying upright it could be a variety of reasons why. Try giving him less food, or a few peas, I know constipation can cause fish to get s little topsy turvy. Otherwise I’m not sure what the issue can be, hopefully someone more experienced can comment soon.
Also, why’ll this is my own opinion, I would recommend not changing so much water so often. In my experience stress can be a lethal killer and the excitement might even be what’s causing your lil catfish to go spinning. If your tank has a good filter, try lowering the water changes to 20% every two weeks, maybe even monthly depending on how fast it gets dirty. But that’s just my own experience and opinion.

MacZ

Sorry, I have to disagree with the advice.

First of all, peas are generally not helping, someone used it on goldfish once and it got better, likely without causation, just correlation, and since people think it works on other fish. Especially with more carnivorous fish like Corydoras this is futile. Additionally they have a different digestive system to many other fish.

Secondly, water changes are not stressing out fish if done correctly and regularly. It is not necessary to do a full clean-up and gravel vacuuming each time. Keep up the waterchanges, clean water is essential.

I see two problems: No water parameters and the feeding seems to be a bit problematic. Bottom feeders have to be target fed, especially with tetras in the tank. It sounds a bit like a starvation problem.

Also, can we see a picture of the tank and fish in question?

Edit: And I have to add: There is no swim bladder disease as is perpetuated all the time. Buoyancy problems can be caused by a number of reasons, yes, including a type of infection on the organ, but that is quite rare. Most often it's a systemic problem.

darkcat

Okay, yesterday, I tried feeding him in a breeder box with my air pump off, and he got better. I'll try to feed more and do more water change. Fishes are: 2 corydoras, 1 gzl, 1 betta, 5 neon tetras. Ik that the corydoras are low but we had 6 but 4 died

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
FishBoy101
  • Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies