Corydoras Fry , Just A Quick Few Questions

1. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Heyyy how's it going? I just had a few simple questions regarding cory fry. I had 6 corys in a 20g long only fish, they were laying so many eggs every week or so, none of the fry ever survived besides 1 little one who I guess really had the desire to live, he is now already much bigger, I then got my hands on a 55g to house my blood parrot fish and decided I would also house my corys giving them more room , so I waited for them to lay eggs again and removed them in order to hatch them and raise them alone in the 20g so later on I could add another 6 to my 55g making it 12 total corys.

In the 20g there is about 30 fry, hard to count but around that.

It's been roughly 8 days since the eggs hatch, I've been feeding them twice a day ,baby brine shrimp and finely crushed tropical flakes by omega oneis that okay? or woulf something else be better?

Should I do daily water changes?

any other advice?

on the side note , these guys just keep producing eggs , they've been in the 55g for a week and there's already around 40 eggs on the glass which I don't mind, I just didn't think it would be possible thinking they would feel stressed from the BP , I guess they don't mind eachother, also been keeping fish for over 5 years and I have 7 aquariums but never raised cory fry so all the help will be much appreciated.

2. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Doesn't answer your question (sorry about that) but I was wondering if you did anything specific to induce breeding? I have 5 cories and would love if they would breed. Only just got them though so im not sure how it works...thanks :)

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I think brine shrimp and the flakes will be fine. As they grow older and their mouths get bigger introduce them to other stuff.
    Yes I would do daily water changes.
    I guess you have Corydoras Paleatus or Aeneus because of the crazy breeding?

4. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

didn't really do much to be honest lol probably not the answer your looking for but what I did do was feed them bloodworms twice a week and the other days shrimp pellets, I had the tank at 75f I then did a water change with the water being 4-5 degrees colder then the aquarium water, they breed every week or so. Also their is no other fish in the aquarium

I have a few tanks but yes in my 20g they are paleatus , and they are breeding nuts , every week or so I have 40+ eggs , but i also have my sterbais in a 55g breeding as well they just laid there 3rd round of eggs but the fry never surive since I leave the parents in the tank and their is also a blood parrot.

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I have not bred corydoras extensively but to me it looks like corydoras just start spawning like crazy, stop to take a rest and then start the spawning frenzy again. This would make sense since they are seasonal spawners in the wild.

I would try to save the Sterbai fry you can probably make some money off them ;)

6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

not a bad idea!!

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Got my best results feeding microworms

8. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

No actually it is what I wanted to hear:joyful: I have some bronze but in a large tank (70g) so maybe if I get them into a tighter space, play with the temperature etc... I too can have babies :) i reckon my ones are still pretty young though (about 3cm?) So I'll wait and see if anything happens on its own first

9. Zahc Well Known Member Member

I'm also in the process of raising my first Corydoras fry. My group are 4 weeks old today. And have been in a 20g 90% bare bottom tank since being rescued eggs from my main tank.

Temperature was 24C when they were born, but at probably 10-12 days old it was increased to 25C. They were fed liquid fry food for the first 3 days, followed by cyclops, crushed NLS pellets and Hikari Carnivore Pellets. The are fed 4 times a day, and received 2 50% water change daily for the first week, but I did drop that down to once a day water change now. Though, I siphon up any waste/leftover food about 30-40 minutes after each feeding with some airline tubing.

They grow very fast when fed regularly.

Here's some pics of mine from today, 28 days old. The runt, aswell as the biggest. The big girl already has the Bronze colouring coming through, while the runt is considerably smaller and less colourful as you can see. I was surprised how much growth rates can vary between each individual fry.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Mines are still very small I would say only 8 days old , I only do daily water change but around 30%. Would you really recommend I start doing two a day? also do you turn on the light during the day, I find them to be much less active when the lights are on vs if the lights are off they are swimming everywhere.

11. Zahc Well Known Member Member

Once daily is fine. As I said, 2 water changes a day only lasted a week for me until I decided it was just just overkill, and getting to painful with a full-time job and busy schedule/lifestyle.

Mine have been getting 12 hours of light each day (timer), since they hatched. They don't appear phased or inactive when the lights are on and get used to a day/night cycle.

12. ChuthuluFish Member Member

ahhhh. now I want cory cats even more:)