Corydoras Fry Dying. Ideas?

1. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

My corydoras spawned about 2 weeks ago, maybe a bit less. All the eggs I could see hatched without a problem and I would see fry everynow and then. Just yesterday I started to see fry coming out of the woods and start foraging like corydoras which I thought was a good sign. I just watched 2 of them die. It is pretty weird. They would swim along the glass and then randomly pass out and fall to the ground. Any ideas as to what caused it? Were they simply not fit enough?

2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

This made me so sad. You know I dont have any help, but I am sad...

Advertisement

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

From experience breeding corys, they won't all make it. I've had times were I would have 50 fry and few weeks later I would be down to 20 fry. I like to do daily 50% water changes making sure water is Prestine for them also getting temp extremely close to the tank not to stress them out. I also feed them 3 times a day with very finely crushed omega one super color flakes and frozen baby brine shrimp. I keep the lights off majority of the day to keep stress levels to a minimum in tell they get little larger.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

Yeah I figured out they wouldnt all make it. I was just worried it was some problem on my part. They are so tiny I havent tried feeding them at all. I have half the tank covered with leaf litter and a decently sized clump of Java Moss which I thought they could live off. I am starting to see new babies tho so I guess the corydoras are still breeding and I still have a chance at it. I am probably gonna try feeding them moina again. The babies are smaller than baby brine shrimp.
    I have a bigger than normal baby, he was thicker than the 2 that died so I hope that at least he makes it so I can now have 10 instead of 9 corydoras.

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

are they currently housed with other adults corydoras?

6. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

Yes, with their parents and an otonciclus. They are pygmaeus, the tiny ones, they didnt not eat any egg that I could see nor fry. If anything I just saw 2 fry eat (or at least they tried) with the parents lol. I hope those make it. I may have just overreacted now that I think about it, it just weirded me about that I was able to literally see them die before my eyes.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

What are you feeding ?

8. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

To the adults? Frozen fish from the market, to the fry, nothing. The tank is planted, established and has leaf litter so I thought there would be enough microorganisms for the fry to survive until they could eat what the adults eat.

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Get some kind of shrimp pellets or grind some of the fish very well so the fry have something to eat, t he y cannot survive off mulm and microorganisms. They need high protein foods to grow and develop like they should.

10. DoubleDutch

Agree with @Mcasella

11. Grimgore

Grimgore New Member Member

I have had a similar issue.. trying to find out what is available to feed such small mouths ... i ground up some flakes into a fine powder ..it works for fry over a week old..

12. DoubleDutch

Get microworms guys. Those survive 24 hours in water so pollution is quite low.
    But in cwrtain stages I did waterchanges every single day.

13. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

I was reading a paper about rotifers and how they could replace artemia in zebra danio growth, so far I see 2 which I am sure are gonna make it since they are already eating with the adults. Apparently I did not do such a great job of raising microorganisms in the tank. The fry is so small that I wonder if they could eat microworms. I keep moina and grindals right now since they are super easy, I find microworms kind of annoying to harvest but I guess I will give them a try in the future.

14. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

You're not using any liquid carbon products, are you?

15. OP
    OP
    BeanFish

Nope :). I think it either had to do with food or simply unfit fish. I think it was fit fish since I see some survivors right now. Maybe not doing water changes played a role since I must admit I skipped some of them.

Advertisement