Corydoras For 20 Gallon Long

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
302
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 20 gallon long with an Aquaclear 50, temp 77F, ph around 6.8 and slightly hard water. I have 5 pangio semicincta (kuhli loaches) and 9 pangio cuneovirgata (dwarf kuhli, max size 1.5").

I was planning on having this tank be only for kuhli loaches but i've fallen in love with the little corydoras, i think them and the kuhlis would go well together. I've tried to do a mix between a South East Asian/South American biotope so it has fine sand, round pebbles, branches, catappa leaf litter and lots of plants (still need to get more).

I am looking for suggestions on what species of cory cat would like this tank setup and how many i should get.

Thank you! :)
 

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Messages
1,829
Reaction score
810
Points
158
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have a 20 long as well. I'm planning on pygmy cories. They only get about an inch long. Very very active.
 

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
That would be a lot of bottom schoolers, but if I was to add any corydoras, I'd add pygmies as they will school in the middle of the tank too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
302
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
I have a feeling you may be overstocked, so I would not add anymore fish.
What makes you think i'm overstocked? I'd genuinely like to know since kuhli loaches have a very low bioload and my cuneovirgata are super tiny.

FriarThomasIII said:
That would be a lot of bottom schoolers, but if I was to add any corydoras, I'd add pygmies as they will school in the middle of the tank too.
True, but even in this 20 long my kuhlis only inhabit half the tank and throughout the day i don't see them at all. I was definitely aiming towards middle schoolers but wanted opinions first.
 

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Messages
529
Reaction score
109
Points
38
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually, nevermind, what I meant is that your fish may not have much room because most of them are bottom dwellers. Sorry.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
302
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Actually, nevermind, what I meant is that your fish may not have much room because most of them are bottom dwellers. Sorry.
It's alright. If only others could see my tank and the activity thoughout the day. 5 normal sized kuhlis IMO barely take up any room.. let alone the cuneovirgata.
 

Attachments

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
I'd reccomend the pygmeus cory cat then. They are absolutely tiny and cute, harmless, and swim from bottom to the middle, occasionally on the top for a gulp of air. Do you want schooling fish or just the bottom dwellers?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
302
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
FriarThomasIII said:
I'd reccomend the pygmeus cory cat then. They are absolutely tiny and cute, harmless, and swim from bottom to the middle, occasionally on the top for a gulp of air. Do you want schooling fish or just the bottom dwellers?
I'm just looking for fish with a lot of personality like my kuhlis. I love them to death and they are hilarious in the evenings but i don't see them much throughout the day. I figured corydoras were similar but are not nocturnal. I'm not a fan of tiny schooling fish such as tetras, rasboras, etc.
 

Baba

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
481
Points
108
Experience
4 years
Ravynn said:
I'm just looking for fish with a lot of personality like my kuhlis. I love them to death and they are hilarious in the evenings but i don't see them much throughout the day. I figured corydoras were similar but are not nocturnal. I'm not a fan of tiny schooling fish such as tetras, rasboras, etc.
Pygmy corys have tons of personality. I love mine (C. pygmaeus) and wouldn't trade them for anything.
 

penguin02

Well Known Member
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
967
Points
118
Experience
2 years
You should not have that many bottom dwellers in a 20 gallon long. Pygmy cories would be your best bet since they swim in the middle of the tank. And if you don't like schooling fish, there's plenty of other options (livebearers, gouramis, ect.) that would be better options than cories.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,072
Reaction score
6,100
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I had 9 kuhlis (6 P. Oblonga, 3 P. Kuhlii) with 6 peppered cories in a 20g long w/o any issues. I finally got 3 more P. Kuhliis so I moved the 6 cories into my 40g and added 6 more (12 total). My tank is heavily planted and running a Fluval 206 canister.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
302
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
I had 9 kuhlis (6 P. Oblonga, 3 P. Kuhlii) with 6 peppered cories in a 20g long w/o any issues. I finally got 3 more P. Kuhliis so I moved the 6 cories into my 40g and added 6 more (12 total). My tank is heavily planted and running a Fluval 206 canister.
Interesting. Are you talking about C. paleatus? They're cute.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,072
Reaction score
6,100
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Ravynn said:
Interesting. Are you talking about C. paleatus? They're cute.
Yep. The 6 I had in the 20g were on the larger side at just under 2". The 6 I added were smaller at 1.5". They all started shoaling when they were introduced into the 40g.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
302
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a hold of my store and right now they only have albino cories + salt and pepper cories (assuming they're corydoras habrosus). Do habrosus swim in the middle or is that only the pygmies?
 

alexbeal1117

Valued Member
Messages
176
Reaction score
109
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Ravynn said:
I got a hold of my store and right now they only have albino cories + salt and pepper cories (assuming they're corydoras habrosus). Do habrosus swim in the middle or is that only the pygmies?
Habrosus corys will swim in the middle of the water column, just not as much as pygmaeus does. From what I've seen and experienced though pygmaeus are also a lot more shy than habrosus corys. Habrosus are also slightly larger but the size difference isn't that much. Overall I like the personality of habrosus a lot more if you're keeping 6-12 of them (12 is more ideal). Pygmaeus though have a more personality and are more intruiging when they are kept in schools bigger than 12.
 

Baba

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
481
Points
108
Experience
4 years
alexbeal1117 said:
From what I've seen and experienced though pygmaeus are also a lot more shy than habrosus corys.
I can't comment on habrosus behavior but pygmaeus tend to be shy if they share a tank with boisterous tank mates.
Since I keep them with C. paleatus and H. amandae (Ember Tetra) they are all over the tank and in the open. They even join the Ember shoal on occasions.
 

alexbeal1117

Valued Member
Messages
176
Reaction score
109
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Baba said:
I can't comment on habrosus behavior but pygmaeus tend to be shy if they share a tank with boisterous tank mates.
Since I keep them with C. paleatus and H. amandae (Ember Tetra) they are all over the tank and in the open. They even join the Ember shoal on occasions.
My pygmaeus school have a tank all to themselves minus a colony of orange sakura neos and some amanos, plus there's lots of plants sine it's my high tech set up. The tank is in my bedroom, on the opposite wall of the door as well. They're fine and out and about until I come within 1-3 ft of the tank. If I am that close most of them retreat into the plant cover. It could just be that mine are shy and skittish, though my habrosus did seem to be more outgoing.
 

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Messages
3,864
Reaction score
2,238
Points
308
Experience
2 years
Personally, if it were me, I'd just get more kuhlis. It sounds like you really enjoy them, and from what I've heard the more the merrier in terms of activity.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom