Corydoras flopping on sides

Rosemoss

I have a 20g long planted tank with two female bettas, an ivory mystery snail, and a corydora. I noticed the past few days that my Cory slowed down (he’s usually scuttling around the bottom really fast) I looked up the behavior and most people said that corys sleep weird. But tonight I saw them flopping on their side at the bottom of the tank back to their upright position and so forth. They have random burst of energy where they look back to normal but overall do not look great. My water levels are fine and I do small water changes weekly to clean the gravel. What could be the cause of this? I hate seeing them struggle:( I’m new to this hobby so anything would help!

RedOnion

I have a 20g long planted tank with two female bettas, an ivory mystery snail, and a corydora. I noticed the past few days that my Cory slowed down (he’s usually scuttling around the bottom really fast) I looked up the behavior and most people said that corys sleep weird. But tonight I saw them flopping on their side at the bottom of the tank back to their upright position and so forth. They have random burst of energy where they look back to normal but overall do not look great. My water levels are fine and I do small water changes weekly to clean the gravel. What could be the cause of this? I hate seeing them struggle:( I’m new to this hobby so anything would help!
It would help if you could fill out the Emergency Form

Rosemoss

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20gal
How long has the tank been running?
June 28th
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
2 female betta imbellis, one Cory, one ivory mystery snail
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
once a week
How much of the water do you change?
15-2
What do you use to treat your water?
API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
1-2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish?
Bottom feeder tablet, and 4-6 betta pellet (2-3 between them)
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Aqueon bottom feeder tablets and aqueon beta food
Do you feed frozen?
No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
I used to frequently then went to every once in a while due to constipation concerns

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Since June 28th
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
2-3 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Lethargic, leaning to side, was flopping from side to side but that’s stopped since yesterday, short bursts of energy
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
I got an air stone since my nitrate levels were normal
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Has completely slowed down. Used to dart around the bottom
Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
2-3 days ago during a water change I realized I hadn’t seen my Cory then found him in a hide. He’d usually dart away easily but he was struggling to swim and flopping. My other inhabitants are doing fine it’s just my Cory who is struggling

RedOnion

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20gal
How long has the tank been running?
June 28th
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
2 female betta imbellis, one Cory, one ivory mystery snail
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
once a week
How much of the water do you change?
15-2
What do you use to treat your water?
API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
1-2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish?
Bottom feeder tablet, and 4-6 betta pellet (2-3 between them)
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Aqueon bottom feeder tablets and aqueon beta food
Do you feed frozen?
No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
I used to frequently then went to every once in a while due to constipation concerns

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Since June 28th
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
2-3 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Lethargic, leaning to side, was flopping from side to side but that’s stopped since yesterday, short bursts of energy
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
I got an air stone since my nitrate levels were normal
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Has completely slowed down. Used to dart around the bottom
Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
2-3 days ago during a water change I realized I hadn’t seen my Cory then found him in a hide. He’d usually dart away easily but he was struggling to swim and flopping. My other inhabitants are doing fine it’s just my Cory who is struggling
Okay so corydoras need to be in groups of 6+ to feel safe to go out, so I would get 5 more of the same cory. It looks like you have a Julii Corydora. The temperature in the tank is also a bit high, I would recommend lowering the temp down to 77 for the corydora, the bettas will be just fine at 77.

Also cories prefer sand or really smooth gravel, your gravel seems a bit sharp and could cut the corydoras barbels. If you can add a thin layer of sand they would appreciate it.

Rosemoss

Okay so corydoras need to be in groups of 6+ to feel safe to go out, so I would get 5 more of the same cory. It looks like you have a Julii Corydora. The temperature in the tank is also a bit high, I would recommend lowering the temp down to 77 for the corydora, the bettas will be just fine at 77.

Also cories prefer sand or really smooth gravel, your gravel seems a bit sharp and could cut the corydoras barbels. If you can add a thin layer of sand they would appreciate it.
Thank you very much! I lowered the temp and will get some more buddies for him. Will 6 really be ok and a 20 gal long? That isn’t too much? Also, alternatively could I get a carpet plant over sand? Thank you again for your time!

RedOnion

Thank you very much! I lowered the temp and will get some more buddies for him. Will 6 really be ok and a 20 gal long? That isn’t too much? Also, alternatively could I get a carpet plant over sand? Thank you again for your time!
Nope adding 5 more is not a lot at all, you could even add more. The plants wont do much for their barbels. Corydoras shuffle through sand to find food and it comes out through their gills. You could easily add some black sand on top of the gravel. A small 5/10lb bag should be fine since you will be doing a thin layer. There is a way to add sand even with water and it will not make a mess, I have done it before and it works. If you do plan on doing that then all you need is a water bottle and the sand.

Get a water bottle cut ONLY the bottom part off so you can fill it in with sand. Make sure the cap is screwed on. Put the sand filled bottle in the water and get close to the gravel, unscrew the cap and let the sand fall. Repeat till you finish the sand. After, you can flatten the sand or whatever. The cories will seriously appreciate it.

Also make sure to feed the corydoras some good food, it will beefen them up!

Rosemoss

Nope adding 5 more is not a lot at all, you could even add more. The plants wont do much for their barbels. Corydoras shuffle through sand to find food and it comes out through their gills. You could easily add some black sand on top of the gravel. A small 5/10lb bag should be fine since you will be doing a thin layer. There is a way to add sand even with water and it will not make a mess, I have done it before and it works. If you do plan on doing that then all you need is a water bottle and the sand.

Get a water bottle cut ONLY the bottom part off so you can fill it in with sand. Make sure the cap is screwed on. Put the sand filled bottle in the water and get close to the gravel, unscrew the cap and let the sand fall. Repeat till you finish the sand. After, you can flatten the sand or whatever. The cories will seriously appreciate it.

Also make sure to feed the corydoras some good food, it will beefen them up!
Ok thank you very much! I’ll grab the corys and the sand tomorrow. I really do appreciate you I’m still really new to this. What food do you recommend besides the aqueon tablets

RedOnion

Ok thank you very much! I’ll grab the corys and the sand tomorrow. I really do appreciate you I’m still really new to this. What food do you recommend besides the aqueon tablets
I like to feed my corydoras a mix of what is listed below. They love all of them, the mini color pellets all the fish eat as well so its not just for corydoras. The shrimp pellets are also really good for everyone and my cories love nibbling on them. The hikari sinking wafers are good and contain beneficial ingredients for them. I am glad I could help:)

Make sure to get the same corydoras, other species of corydoras do not usually school together so since you got a Julii Corydora I would get 5 more of the Juliis.

Omega One Shrimp Pellets.
Hikari sinking wafers
Omega One Mini Color Pellets

DoubleDutch

I like to feed my corydoras a mix of what is listed below. They love all of them, the mini color pellets all the fish eat as well so its not just for corydoras. The shrimp pellets are also really good for everyone and my cories love nibbling on them. The hikari sinking wafers are good and contain beneficial ingredients for them. I am glad I could help:)

Make sure to get the same corydoras, other species of corydoras do not usually school together so since you got a Julii Corydora I would get 5 more of the Juliis.

Omega One Shrimp Pellets.

Hikari sinking wafers

Omega One Mini Color Pellets
They are C.trilineatus but often sold as C.julii. But in both cases you can't go wrong (C.julii aren't in the trade so all available are C.trilineatus).

Wait with new Corys till the sand is in for a few weeks. It has to "ripen".

FishDin

Ok thank you very much! I’ll grab the corys and the sand tomorrow.
Even though you will take care not to make a mess when adding the sand, be sure to thoroughly wash it prior to using.

Rosemoss

Update!
With the addition of more corys and an airstone, the Cory seems to be doing better today. They’re moving around more and not going on their side. Still a little lethargic but overall better!

RedOnion

Update!
With the addition of more corys and an airstone, the Cory seems to be doing better today. They’re moving around more and not going on their side. Still a little lethargic but overall better!
thats good to hear, keep us updated!

Rosemoss

thats good to hear, keep us updated!
Final Update!
I can’t believe but I think the biggest benefit has been from adding the other corys! He’s schooling with them and his energy is back! Amazing. Thank you for your help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views
Platyarelife
Replies
Views
augustburnsred52
Replies
Views