Corydoras Eats Vegetables

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Gourami36, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

One of my corydoras aeneus likes to eat vegetables that I feed to my snails and bn. I was told they are not supposed to eat many vegetables. What should I do?

2. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Mine eat algae wafers all the time and have done so for years.

3. Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

They can snack on vegetables if they enjoy eating them, it’s not going to do them any harm. They’re kinda like dogs, actually. They need primarily meat but can eat plants if they want to as well. As long as their main food is meat based, then they’re fine to indulge in veggies. (By meat based I mean shrimp pellets and such.)

4. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Their main food is shrimp pellets and hikari cichlid gold. I have to feed vegetables to my bn and snails almost every day though.

5. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

What would be the problem?

6. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

You said they are more carnivorous and not supposed to eat a lot of vegetable.

7. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

It’s not that they CANNOT eat veggies, but they need a good protein diet as well. Some people think they will eat waste and algae, which is not a good staple diet. They’re fine if they have a variety....lucky, mine won’t touch any!

8. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Any other foods I should feed them? They have hikari bottom feeder wafers, hikari cichlid gold sinking, or shrimp pellets daily. Veggie rounds and frozen bloodworms once a week. And of course the vegetables. Mainly bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, zucchini, and broccoli stems.

9. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

That’s a great variety, mine also love flake food, weird...and bug bites are a hit.

10. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Mine never eat flakes. I was going to buy some bug bites anyway. Can they eat sinking betta food?

11. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

I don’t see why not, it’s also a carnivorous diet.

12. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Mine thoroughly enjoy the pleco veggies too. IMG_20190209_153435.jpg

13. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Great photo! My habrosus won’t touch it!

14. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Thanks:) they only start eating once it's been in the tank for a day or so, when it's nice and squishy!!!

15. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

It eats so aggressively. That is the only one that eats vegetables. The others just ignore it.

16. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ah see, my snails do not allow much to stay for long. Lol

17. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Be aware there might be different levels / kinds of protein aso in cichlid- and or bettafood. Let the staplefood simply be their own.

18. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

The staple is shrimp pellets and bottom feeder wafers 4 times a week. Everything else is weekly.