Corydoras Behavior

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
One of my corydoras--justone of them--sometimes swims up to the surface and seems to be sort of snuffling around, particularly around the duckweed. Is this normal behavior? It's always the same one who does it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that's perfectly normal. Maybe it has found a store of food, or microscopic critters growing in the duckweed and hasn't told the others Corys will also zip to the surface for a gulp of air once in a while and then release a little bubble from it's anus on the way down. This is also perfectly normal.
Carol

OP
P

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea, thanks for the info. All these complex things you learn about your fish...glad I found this forum.

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
wait so cories get gas when they do that the child in me finds that hilarious lol anyway i'm new to the world of cories and I was noticing them being well odd to say the least lol anyway that is good to know nothing to worry about thanx

brent

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, they can breathe air at the surface, pass it through their intestines and then pass the excess from their anus. yep that pretty much covers it. When my children were small they called them "Moms farting fish" and would sit and watch for them to do it Hey at least I knew where they were
Carol

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
good point atleast they weren't trying to feed them carpet fibers or anything...

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
a friend of mine had his two yr old brother feed his gold fish carpet fibers needless to say they didn't do too well after they ate the fibers....

les

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Yes, they can breathe air at the surface, pass it through their intestines and then pass the excess from their anus. yep that pretty much covers it. When my children were small they called them "Moms farting fish" and would sit and watch for them to do it Hey at least I knew where they were
Carol
Is this a fact !??!

My Corys have been farting then !!!! Thought it was copying the behaviour of my gouramis (labyrinth ...) but it seems not !

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
les said:
Butterfly said:
Carol
Is this a fact !??!

My Corys have been farting then !!!! Thought it was copying the behaviour of my gouramis (labyrinth ...) but it seems not !
yea.. and corys never try to blame other fish for their farts.

New Threads