Corydoras Behavior

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by poefox, Apr 3, 2006.

1. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

One of my corydoras--justone of them--sometimes swims up to the surface and seems to be sort of snuffling around, particularly around the duckweed. Is this normal behavior? It's always the same one who does it.

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes thats perfectly normal. Maybe it has found a store of food, or microscopic critters growing in the duckweed and hasn't told the others ;) Corys will also zip to the surface for a gulp of air once in a while and then release a little bubble from it's anus on the way down. This is also perfectly normal.
    Carol

3. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Wow, I had no idea, thanks for the info. All these complex things you learn about your fish...glad I found this forum.

4. inariWell Known MemberMember

wait so cories get gas when they do that the child in me finds that hilarious lol anyway i'm new to the world of cories and i was noticing them being well odd to say the least lol anyway that is good to know nothing to worry about thanx

brent

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes, they can breathe air at the surface, pass it through their intestines and then pass the excess from their anus. yep that pretty much covers it. When my children were small they called them "Moms farting fish" and would sit and watch for them to do it ;) Hey at least I knew where they were ;)
    Carol

6. inariWell Known MemberMember

good point atleast they weren't trying to feed them carpet fibers or anything... :p

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

8. inariWell Known MemberMember

a friend of mine had his two yr old brother feed his gold fish carpet fibers needless to say they didn't do too well after they ate the fibers....

9. aj_1992Valued MemberMember

fish can pass gas?! :eek:

10. COBettaCoupleFishlore LegendMember

yea, corys really are underestimated fish. ;) They do have a range of unexpected behavior and are a lot of fun in so many ways.

11. lesValued MemberMember

Is this a fact !??!

My Corys have been farting then !!!! Thought it was copying the behaviour of my gouramis (labyrinth ...) but it seems not !

12. COBettaCoupleFishlore LegendMember

yea.. and corys never try to blame other fish for their farts. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice