Corydoras and zebra danios

aj_1992

Valued Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if i can have corydoras and zebra danios together in a 10 gallon tank. i thought about guppies and z.danios, but i was afraid that the guppies would get bullied by the zebra danios. and does anyone know what the approximate dimensions of a typical 10 gallon aquarium is? jw

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that would be fine. The zebras might nip a little bit, but the corys should be okay with some hiding places if they need them.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
the general rule of thumb is 1 inch per gallon I really hope u don't use the metric system 'cause idk the conversion lol

~inari

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cories and danios should be good together. make sure to put some plants or ornaments in the tank so that the cories can hide if they want to, and make sure the gravel isn't too rough on the cories.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aj_1992 said:
i was just wondering if i can have corydoras and zebra danios together in a 10 gallon tank. i thought about guppies and z.danios, but i was afraid that the guppies would get bullied by the zebra danios. and does anyone know what the approximate dimensions of a typical 10 gallon aquarium is? jw
I believe the standard 10 gallon tanks are: 20" L x 10" W x 12" H. We put flat marbles (from the crafts department at the store) in the tank with our corys.. it needs a little more cleaning than gravel, but looks great and gives the corys nothing but smooth surfaces for their delicate barbels.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good call with the marbles. Make sure they get food because some of it might drop between the marbles and they may have trouble getting at the food that way.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wolfman21 said:
Good call with the marbles. Make sure they get food because some of it might drop between the marbles and they may have trouble getting at the food that way.
Thanks. Yea, i noticed that happening so I set up a container with some blue gravel in it that I drop the wafer on. Put a bridge on it and dug out some of the gravel under the bridge in their "lake". They especially like when i put the food under the bridge and it's funny to see just the end of their tails sticking up as they all eat it. Right now it's regular aquarium gravel, but i'm going to replace it with the smaller gravel that will be more gentle on the corys.

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think (and hope) they will be okay together! I plan on going to an LFS next week over my spring break and buyin 2 corys to add to my own 10 gallon tank and 5 zebra danios! I can't wait! Well, Corys seem peaceful enough, and my Danios occupy the top half only, so I think they'll stay separated for the most part. Good luck! Keep me posted!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's pretty cool to see them eat, when they are pretty much vertical. They are definitely cool little guys

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
are u taking about ur danios or cories???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
inari said:
are u taking about ur danios or cories???
The cories probably - they look so funny when they're all together and eating a wafer with those little tails sticking up & wiggling.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
the cories in a group are so fun to watch, whether they're swimming around or eating or just sitting.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wolfman21 said:
the cories in a group are so fun to watch, whether they're swimming around or eating or just sitting.
yea, a lot of people get them (or totally ignore them) thinking "oh those are JUST cleaner fish, nothing interesting", but they are so fun to watch and they are such hard little workers. Sometimes I'll watch one thru the big magnifying glass and watch the way they move their barbels and all. But I love when they take a break for play time most. Work hard - play hard if you're a cory cat.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are definitely like a pack of puppies, the way they eat or follow each other, etc. I was at a couple pet stores today and looking at the zebra danios. I think a tank with them and the Danios is going to look great.

jri4 - Looking forward to hearing how your tank is and seeing it too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom