Corydoras and pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DrSahl, Aug 6, 2015.

1. DrSahl

DrSahlValued MemberMember

Hi all.

As some of you might know I just made a tank and once again I have some more questions (it seems problems like to turn up just after you got the tank up)

I am planning to have 6 corydoras matae in the tank, but I am still abit worried if they are able to do well in my substrate (its not totaly rounded, so it might be alittle sharp) thats not good for them.. When I look up for people that had the same substrate, some say its fine and others say their corydoras have taken some damage...

Should I think about getting a pleco instead ? or should I even keep both ? How hardy is the Matae ?
    I am trying to keep most fish and plants from the Orinoco basin and other rivers nearby. I know there is a zebra pleco, but that might be abit to pricy I think if I need more than one.

Any advice or suggestions ? if you want to see the substrate you can look at the pictures in my "50 gallon orinoco thread" in the tank forum.. the substrate is 1.5 - 2,5 mm

2. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Would you consider sand as a substrate? Cories adore sand and will thank you for it. What is the substrate in the Orinico basin?

3. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

The substrate is mostly sand in Orinoco, but I've chosen a black gravel substrave for various reasons (easy to clean, easy for plants and for the colour of the fish) But I have seen pictures from the basin with very dark/black bottoms that was not sand... but well I am no exptert.

The gravel is already in and the tank is cycling "without fish atm, will get them next week" I know most pleco's dont really clean anything, but if I could not get the cories I just think a pleco might be a nice addition to my setup... but again I really want the corydoras, but not if they get hurt.

It looks like this or you can see it in my tank on my other thread (in the tank section) image Its in cm's not inches :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Looks quite rounded. Barbelloss often is caused by bacterial infections. Got some of mine at gravel as well. Longest barbelss of them all ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438956995.799699.jpg
    At Planet Catfish it is possible to click on the region and you'll get all catfish in the se area.
    It is C.Metae BTW (Latin for Meta's Cory).

5. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

My cories have been on gravel for a year with no damage to their barbles. That gravel looks fine to me . You could always do an area of dark sand for the cory cats to play in. Sand is supposed to be ideal but gravel works too. Alison

6. JafetValued MemberMember

I have 17 panda cories on gravel and 2 vampire plecos in a 100 gal planted tank everything has been going good

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

Ty all for the replies.

I think I will take the chance then, the lfs said it should be fine as well.

8. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Just keep an eye on the barbels. They should be ok with that gravel, however youll see more natural behavior with sand. What I did in my 55g since I didnt want to sand the whole thing, is I used a plant substrate, but capped the whole right half of the tank with black sand. The cories absolutely love it, and even over time, the sand hasnt fallen through the gravel like people often say it will with sand caps. I also find the sand easier to clean, as debris and leftover food cant sink down into it like it will with gravel, it stays on the top and comes right out with the siphon.

9. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

I had a Malawi tank years back and it was a to keep the sand clean tbh. I've done all to make a good looking tank without having to much trouble (I will clean it every week and water changes once every 2 weeks) atleast thats my starting position. it might be every week water changes.. I want to keep it as simple as possible, without it being to simple.

But ty for the advice, I might think about it later on.. you never know what happens

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice