Corydoras and guppy fry

Aquaticguy

Hi.
Quick question: Do Cory cats eat guppy fry? Some of my guppy fry disappeared and I don't really know why.

Coradee

Hi, corys would only eat dead or dying fry on the bottom, they’re not quick enough to catch healthy fry.
I’d look at other fish in the tank, guppy adults & other fish will eat fry if they fit in their mouths.

Aquaticguy

Hi, corys would only eat dead or dying fry on the bottom, they’re not quick enough to catch healthy fry.
I’d look at other fish in the tank, guppy adults & other fish will eat fry if they fit in their mouths.
I saw a few guppy fry laying on the bottom maybe that's the case?? Also 2 of the Corys died because of swim bladder disease. I don't know how both got infected and sometimes the cory now is on his side rarely. I think it's because they probably ate some fry, and could not digest very well.

RayClem

Guppy fry tend to hang out at the top of the tank. Corys hang out at the bottom. Thus, is is unlikely that it was the corys that ate the young guppies. However, any other fish in the tank, including the parents will readily snack on the small morsels. Thus, if you want your fry to survive, it is good to have floating plants that provide ample opportunities for the fry to hide or escape. Water sprite (aka Asian Water Fern) and guppy grass are great plants to provide this cover. However, if you do not want live plants, you can also use synthetic floating plants or even make a spawning mop from acrylic yarn and a cork float.

Aquaticguy

Trust me the tank has a ton of live plants. There are pothos roots growing, cabomba, and I will get some floating plants. I actually found some plants like guppy grass but a little smaller and thicker. Oh and also some guppies tend to stay near the bottom since they are a few days old.

Marlene327

Cories will not bother guppy fry at all. I like having them together as fry are usually overfed, and the cories clean up the extra. They skim the bottom sifting sand, and the fry will get out of their way. And if they'd eat a dead one, they'd have no problem swallowing it.

Aquaticguy

Cories will not bother guppy fry at all. I like having them together as fry are usually overfed, and the cories clean up the extra. They skim the bottom sifting sand, and the fry will get out of their way. And if they'd eat a dead one, they'd have no problem swallowing it.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the replies. I am thinking on breeding the Corys, and I'll put that on another thread.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
Replies