Corydoras Aeneus & Sterbai Questions Plus Community Tank Stocking

jreinhart
Got a few questions concerning Corydoras Sterbai. I have a 25 gallon dirted planted tank (Amazon inspired biope). There's a school of Cardinal Tetras, a double red Apistogramma cacatuoides, and two Corydoras Aeneus.

I've read conflicting information about Corys shoaling with different varieties. Some things have said that some different Cory species will shoal together and some things haves aid they won't. I'm finally ready to expand my Cory shoal to 6 members.

In the June 2015 issue of TFH I read a great blurb about the Corydoras Sterbai. I completely fell in love with their coloration and that they like to perch on driftwood and live plants. The C. aeneus are nice but I prefer to get other types of Corys.

The one negative thing the article said about C. sterbaI is it has a very noxious toxin, which is sometimes secretes. The article specifically mentioned the care needed when bringing C. sterbaI home.

Here's the questions.

1) Will Corydoras SterbaI shoal with the two C. aeneus I have?
2) How concerned should I be about C. sterbai's toxin? Am I liable to get harmed by it through normal handling of adding it to my tank? Will C. sterbaI normally release this in a community tank? Is its toxin likely to harm the other inhabitants in my tank (both fish, invert, and plant)?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisement
Jim
I think that article stated that they really have to super stressed before releasing the toxin. Not sure but I also thought the article did not specifically name which types of Cories did it.

Advertisement
jreinhart
I think that article stated that they really have to super stressed before releasing the toxin. Not sure but I also thought the article did not specifically name which types of Cories did it.

Thanks. I ended up getting off my butt so I could grab the mag and quote that bit properly. The column says:

"It's worth mentioning that the orange-fin cories (C. sterbai) seem to be among some of the most noxious cories when it comes to releasing toxins. These fish should be bagged individually and handled gently between the aquarium store and the home. A couple of pellets of activated carbon in the bag are helpful, as is a small piece of filter media."

I might have missed another portion of the column that references C. sterbai's toxin though.

Coradee
Some corys are more prone to giving off a toxin when stressed, sterbaI are one of them but they have to be super stressed before doing so & it usually happens in shipping, in the small amount of water the toxin is is more potent & they can just keel over & die.
Once in your tank they'll be fine & there'll be no danger to you or your other fish.
Corys should be kept in species groups of at least 6 not mix & match, whilst they will hang around with other species for security in small numbers you'll see much more natural behaviour when they're kept in larger groups of their own kind.

jreinhart
Some corys are more prone to giving off a toxin when stressed, sterbaI are one of them but they have to be super stressed before doing so & it usually happens in shipping, in the small amount of water the toxin is is more potent & they can just keel over & die.
Once in your tank they'll be fine & there'll be no danger to you or your other fish.
Corys should be kept in species groups of at least 6 not mix & match, whilst they will hang around with other species for security in small numbers you'll see much more natural behaviour when they're kept in larger groups of their own kind.

It sounds like I'd be okay if I added SterbaI to my tank insofar as the toxins are concerned. But, that I shouldn't add the SterbaI because it is best to keep Cories in conspecific groups of 6+?

A shame that I can't get any Sterbai. The standard C. aeneus are pretty in their own way although they don't compare to the Sterbai.

Coradee
You could rehome the aenus & have a group of sterbaI instead.

Advertisement

jreinhart
You could rehome the aenus & have a group of sterbaI instead.

Not a bad idea at all. Unfortunately it is easier said than done. To my knowledge the local fish stores won't take fish unless the fish are a return. None of my friends have tanks or if they do they're fully stocked.

Have to decide whether I am able to find somewhere to rehome the two aeneus, if I'm ok with having a mixed group of sterbaI and aeneus (would you say that is bad for the fish?), or stick with having just aeneus.

There is one other option that I'd rather avoid. My wife had a tank but no longer has it running. Can't recall its size and am afraid it may only be 5 gallons. I've been planning to very shortly to take her tank and set it up as a QT since I don't have a QT currently (I know, that's pretty irresponsible of me).

Coradee
Have a look on Facebook for fish groups in your area, there are usually lots of buy/sell/swap groups on there that you may be able to find a good home for your aenus.
I know some people say it's fine having mixed groups of corys but in my experience they really do much better in single species groups, if your tank was a little bigger you could have had two groups of 6, good excuse to upgrade maybe?

jreinhart
Have a look on Facebook for fish groups in your area, there are usually lots of buy/sell/swap groups on there that you may be able to find a good home for your aenus.
I know some people say it's fine having mixed groups of corys but in my experience they really do much better in single species groups, if your tank was a little bigger you could have had two groups of 6, good excuse to upgrade maybe?

Would love to have a 120 gallon. The money just isn't there for that. If it was I could probably afford the tank but not an appropriate stand.

I like this stand:

And this tank:

I could always hope that I could get one on the secondary market as a price I could afford. Perhaps someday.

Anders247
I agree, cories should be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

Advertisement

Coradee
I'm not in the states, maybe one of the US members could tell you when the next dollar per gallon sale is, you could pick up a cheap tank & if you're handy at DIY make a stand for it.
I've seen some nice stands made out of breeze blocks, I think you call them cinder blocks? & then just clad in cheap tongue & groove

jreinhart
I'm not in the states, maybe one of the US members could tell you when the next dollar per gallon sale is, you could pick up a cheap tank & if you're handy at DIY make a stand for it.
I've seen some nice stands made out of breeze blocks, I think you call them cinder blocks? & then just clad in cheap tongue & groove

My dad is a skilled woodworker. Unfortunately, he's a perfectionist so a stand would take forever and might not actually ever get finished.

Perhaps I'd need to scale back my hopes and put the stand first. Something like would let me do 36 gals (at $1/gallon sale).

jreinhart
I agree, cories should be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

Looks like I should grab some C. aeneus to bring up my shoal to 6. On the plus side C. aeneus is much cheaper than the Sterbai. The few places nearby that have SterbaI are charging $14-$18 per Sterbai. I can get the C. aeneus for well Petsmart has them on sale for $3 ea or $1 ea if I picked up the albino ones (I won't get those).

There is a short term happy ending to this after all.

Chris99
I agree with the dollar per gallon sale and a DIY stand if you have the tools or know someone who does. I've stopped buying stands and have either use a sturdy shelf rated for the load (for 20 gallon and below) or made my own. I think the last dollar per gallon sale just wrapped up about a month ago. It will probably be late summer when it comes around again.

Just a quick note on the toxin. Before I knew about cories having toxins I bought a group of 6 sterbais and brought them home in a single bag. The drive was probably close to an hour for this particular store and there were no issues at all. I read that article as well and was glad everything went well for me.

Advertisement

Chris99
My dad is a skilled woodworker. Unfortunately, he's a perfectionist so a stand would take forever and might not actually ever get finished.

Perhaps I'd need to scale back my hopes and put the stand first. Something like would let me do 36 gals (at $1/gallon sale).

Don't count him out. I can knock one out in a weekend and I'm no expert.

jreinhart
Don't count him out. I can knock one out in a weekend and I'm no expert.

But, are you a perfectionist? He started making a base for the playpen my bunnies hang out in. That was over 3 years ago. It still isn't done because it has to be just right.

He also has been remodeling my parent's kitchen. That started in 2000. It still isn't done.

Bijou88
Fwiw, petco's $1 per gallon sales are only good up to 55 gallon usually. It's usually only for the 10, 20 long & tall, 29, 40 breeder and 55.

I got this stand for my 40 gallon breeder, they don't show the 40 online but they have it in store at mine

jreinhart
Fwiw, petco's $1 per gallon sales are only good up to 55 gallon usually. It's usually only for the 10, 20 long & tall, 29, 40 breeder and 55.

I got this stand for my 40 gallon breeder, they don't show the 40 online but they have it in store at mine

That's a nice looking stand and a decent price. I'll keep that in mind for the next dollar sale.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nismo2372
Replies
Views
Zonotrichia
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views