Corydora Top Fin Gone, Bloody Wounds On Back

1. Shelaelae13 Initiate Member

Hello all,
    I've only been in the fish hobby for just over a year, and I'm lucky enough that this is the first big problem I've encountered. That being said I have no idea really how to help the little guy. About a week ago i noticed one of my Albino Cory's had bloody wounds along his back, and part of his top fin was missing.

This is a pic from a week ago.

I tested the tank and the parameters were 0 ammonia and nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, and pH is 7.6. I did a large water change anyways just to be safe, and by the next day his wounds were healing. Over the course of this last week, his wounds randomly reopened, but would close by the next day. He has also lost all of his top fin since, except for the boney parts. He still eats well and swims with the other Cory's, so I was just going to see if he would heal on his own. However now, a week later, the boney parts are fuzzy, and this has me really worried now.
    Here is a pic from today.

I tested the water again, and it's the same 0 ammonia and nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, and pH is 7.6. He is in a 20 gallon tank with peaceful fish, sand, and all decor has been pantyhose tested for sharp spots. All help is appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance!
  2. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

What are the other peaceful fish you have?

Welcome to the forum!

3. Shelaelae13 Initiate Member

Thank you! I have 6 Albino Cory's, 2 Otocinclus and roughly 8 Neon Tetras.
  4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That is strange, as those are peaceful fish. I'd even add some more otos.

Is it possible he got stuck underneath some decor and scratched himself?

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I think your fish got stuck somewhere.
    Try some melafix or esha 2000 to prevent fungussing.
  6. DylanM Member Member

I think that would be more to cure fungus at this point, in the second picture I can see some on his damaged fins sadly. Hope the cory makes it
  7. Shelaelae13 Initiate Member

I'm going to add more Oto's. I just need to wait for the store to restock. I forgot to add that I also have a Amamo Shrimp. Will the melafix hurt him?

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't bother with Melafix - it's basically useless. Something stronger might be necessary.

In the mean time, I'd do large and frequent water changes to keep water quality pristine, which encourages healing.
  9. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

It doesn't look ill, eats and swims with the other Corys. There is a secundairy fungal infection so in my opinion no harsh / strong meds are not really needed at this point.
  10. Shelaelae13 Initiate Member

Not to doubt anyone, but I don't know if he really could have gotten stuck. I only had a small decoration in there when it first happened, and where it's located and how it is would make it quite hard for a fish to get stuck.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your decor is rough, and fish can be quite wily in getting stuck in odd places.
  12. Shelaelae13 Initiate Member

What would you recommend for meds for a Cory? I've got the Marineland's All in One cure on hand. It says that it treats fungus, but not to use it on scaless fish.
  13. DylanM Member Member

I've no experience with this product, but generally if it says not to use it one type of fish, do not use it on that fish. Also, since we know the problem here is fungal, you want to use a treatment that specializes in curing fungal infections. The all in one won't work as well as a specialized product, ignoring the fact that you probably can't use it in this case at all.
  14. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Corys are scaleless fish !!!
    So get another anti fungus med.