Corydora Rapidly Dying Off

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I originally had 13 Corydora (three Laser and 10 Adolfoi) in my 60 gallon and they were all doing great up until a couple weeks ago. Now I'm losing one about every 3 to 4 days for no apparent reason. They day before, the doomed fish is very pale, but still active and eating. Then the next day he is dead and attached to the filter intake, or has been devoured by the two Assassin Snails.

I have no clue what the problem is. Tank is well established and all parameters are spot on. It's hard to say, but I believe my issue started after introducing the Assassin Snails. I didn't bother quarantining them. I also added four nerite snails a few weeks ago, which I did not quarantine. Is it possible that I introduced some snail-resistant parasite to the tank that is killing off my Corydora one by one? I'm now down to one laser and seven Adolfoi and don't want to lose any more (obviously). The other tank inhabitants (2 Angels and 6 Geophagus Tapajos) appear to be unphased. I think I may go ahead and administer a broad spectrum antibiotic this evening.

Is it possible they are dying from stress? Perhaps from the Geos constantly picking around the substrate?

I noticed one of the Adolfoi looking slightly pale last night, and I attempted to remove him from the tank, but couldn't catch him, so I gave up. This morning, I expected him to be dead, but instead one of the Lasers was dead and all seven Adolfoi look fine. Attached is a pic of a Laser that was attached to the intake this morning. Do you guys see anything out of the ordinary?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you feeding?

This one looks to have a sunken belly.
Maybe (de)worm them first?

If it was some kind bacteria (antibiotics) I'd expect more deads under the other fish as well

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are you feeding?

This one looks to have a sunken belly.
Maybe (de)worm them first?

If it was some kind bacteria (antibiotics) I'd expect more deads under the other fish as well
I pop a couple cichlid pellets in every other day so the Angels and Geos can pick them apart, and the Cories clean up the pieces that get left behind, and I also drop a half cube of Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms on alternating days. I watch them eat to ensure they all get some food, which they do. I've tried throwing Hikari sinking wafers in specifically for the Cories, but the other fish grab them and carry them away. I don't think they are starving, but I suppose it is possible. Odd thing is they all appear healthy one day, the next they are pale, then the next they are dead. If they are that sensitive, then I guess I should be feeding more Cory-friendly foods.

What would I use to de-worm?

Last edited:

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mmmmm if they only got the cichlid pellets then it coukd have been a lack of.the proper protein (amino acids) / minerals / vitamins, but if they also get bloodworms / brineshrimp I hardly can imagine that.

Try to crush the shrimppellets to tiny pieces. The cichlids don't have interest in the tinoest pieces or.at least need some time to collect. Corys will gladly eat the dust.

Prazipro or Kusuri are decent dewormers to me.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When you say crush the Shrimp pellets, do you mean the cichlid pellets?

So go ahead and deworm as a precaution to rule that out? I have Seachem Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Focus. Should I use one of these? I think I may have some Prazipro or similar dewormer come to think of it. But if I had a worm problem, wouldn't it be noticeable by the Cories getting really skinny from being eaten from the inside out? That isn't happening.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also worth mentioning is that I've seen swimming around and along the leaves of my Swords and Vals and a lot of the leaves look ragged and torn like they are being eaten. Do Cories typically eat plants? Maybe they are in fact starving. I've had them for several months and they don't appear to have grown at all.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you say crush the Shrimp pellets, do you mean the cichlid pellets?

So go ahead and deworm as a precaution to rule that out? I have Seachem Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Focus. Should I use one of these? I think I may have some Prazipro or similar dewormer come to think of it. But if I had a worm problem, wouldn't it be noticeable by the Cories getting really skinny from being eaten from the inside out? That isn't happening.
I meand the Sinking wafers.

They are mainly carnivorious. Sounds as if they are desperately searching for food.

The condition you're describing (getting pale and die) makes me think of what I call "algaewaferitis". A lot.of people are not aware Corys are mainly carnivorious amd need the right protein to stay healthy.

But as said the brineshrimp and bloodworms should do the job

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I see. I haven't consistently been feeding the brineshrimp and worms as much as I should. Should every other day be sufficient?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@DoubleDutch has given you some very good advice. I would add....put some of the crushed food in there for the corys after lights out. You may want to add shrimp pellets to their diet. Crush and drop them in well after lights out. Hopefully the other fish will be resting and the corys will be able to eat in peace. The fact that they seem to be eating your plants leads me to believe they are missing something in their diet.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@DoubleDutch has given you some very good advice. I would add....put some of the crushed food in there for the corys after lights out. You may want to add shrimp pellets to their diet. Crush and drop them in well after lights out. Hopefully the other fish will be resting and the corys will be able to eat in peace. The fact that they seem to be eating your plants leads me to believe they are missing something in their diet.
And maybe feed some brineshrimp / bloodworms also after the light are out.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay. So hold off on any meds for now?

What is the typical growth rate for Adolfoi? I swear they're virtually the same size as when I bought them 4 months ago.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I meand the Sinking wafers.

They are mainly carnivorious. Sounds as if they are desperately searching for food.

The condition you're describing (getting pale and die) makes me think of what I call "algaewaferitis". A lot.of people are not aware Corys are mainly carnivorious amd need the right protein to stay healthy.

But as said the brineshrimp and bloodworms should do the job
100% this. Algae wafers are not enough. I supplement with a bunch of protein for them that sink (including frozen bloodworms).

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

What is the typical growth rate for Adolfoi? I swear they're virtually the same size as when I bought them 4 months ago.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I would try feeding them better to start with and only use medications as a last resort.

I can't say how quickly that species grows. I only have albino and bronze. I am thinking all of mine were pretty well full size within 6 months after I got them.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adofloi supposedly grow to 2-1/2" or more, but mine range between 3/4" and 1".

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I’ve found adolfoi to be slower growers than some of the other species, mine seemed to stay the same size for a couple of years, although that was probably an illusion.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Could be another proof they've got too less of the right protein.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My cories are pigs. I can't get them to stay smaller and I wish they did LOL. I have peppered and albino ones. They are also laying so many eggs everywhere. I did have one randomly die though. It was more malnourished than the others so maybe it was outcompeted for food?

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I ran out of shrimp pellets, but I'll pick up some more this evening. Should I just drop a couple in after lights out and let them peck at them as they slowly disintegrate, or should I crush them in a powder and sprinkle them in? If I do the latter, I'm concerned most of it will get sucked up by the filters (I have two AC70s on a 60 gallon). If I drop them in whole, they'll be pushing the pellets around and drawing attention from the other fish. I want to say I should just dump so much food in that the larger fish are overwhelmed, so that the Cories can get their share, then siphon out anything leftover. Would be a chore to do that though.

Oh yeah, so why one at a time and they look healthy up until the day before they die?

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom