Corydora Bare Bottom Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sakana魚, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚Well Known MemberMember

I have decided I want to go bare bottom with my tank but I am wondering if that would be stressful for corydoras?

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

in my experience absolutely. sorry :(

3. Abby565

Abby565Valued MemberMember

They pretty much need substrate. They wouldn't do well at all in a bare bottom. My habrosus hated my bare bottom quarantine.

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Corys need substrate, sand preferably, their normal way of feeding is to take in mouthfuls & Filter it through their gills for tiny pieces of food.
    Bacterial film also builds up on the glass of bare tanks & as corys are always in contact with it it leaves them open to bacterial infections.
    So to answer your question, no to corys in a bare bottom tank

5. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I have corys in 4 tanks, 3 with sand.

That said, my peppers thrive in a tank with big, round substrate. I’v Looked closely and no damage to their barbells. So smooth, rounded gravel works too.

But bare bottom, only a fan for some types of fry, not corydoras.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

If you paint the outside bottom of the tank, it will work just fine for Corydoras. Bare bottom tanks only bother them because they are bottom fish, and from their perspective, they can't reach the visible bottom because of the clear glass blocking them. Paint it and they will be fine. I've kept and spawned a few species in bare bottom tanks, including albino C. aeneus, panda, and adolfoi. I've also spawned paleatus and aeneus over fine gravel, and saw no differences in behavior. For breeding purposes (and to me, there is no other purpose for keeping fish) bare tanks are preferable because fry are easier to see and feeding is easier to control.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Not entirely true to me CD : The sand allows beneficial bacteria to grow that will "protect" the barbels. Even in a fry tank this is advised

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  8. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

Hmmm interesting. I have some panda cories in QT in a bare bottom tank, with a rock background taped to the bottom as well as the back. They seem ok so far. Should I add a little sand for them?? They have been in QT for two weeks so far. I still need to switch my main tank to sand before I put then in.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Won't ve a matter of days, but it is a good idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice