Corydora Bare Bottom Tank?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys need substrate, sand preferably, their normal way of feeding is to take in mouthfuls & Filter it through their gills for tiny pieces of food.
Bacterial film also builds up on the glass of bare tanks & as corys are always in contact with it it leaves them open to bacterial infections.
So to answer your question, no to corys in a bare bottom tank

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have corys in 4 tanks, 3 with sand.

That said, my peppers thrive in a tank with big, round substrate. I’v Looked closely and no damage to their barbells. So smooth, rounded gravel works too.

But bare bottom, only a fan for some types of fry, not corydoras.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you paint the outside bottom of the tank, it will work just fine for Corydoras. Bare bottom tanks only bother them because they are bottom fish, and from their perspective, they can't reach the visible bottom because of the clear glass blocking them. Paint it and they will be fine. I've kept and spawned a few species in bare bottom tanks, including albino C. aeneus, panda, and adolfoi. I've also spawned paleatus and aeneus over fine gravel, and saw no differences in behavior. For breeding purposes (and to me, there is no other purpose for keeping fish) bare tanks are preferable because fry are easier to see and feeding is easier to control.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you paint the outside bottom of the tank, it will work just fine for Corydoras. Bare bottom tanks only bother them because they are bottom fish, and from their perspective, they can't reach the visible bottom because of the clear glass blocking them. Paint it and they will be fine. I've kept and spawned a few species in bare bottom tanks, including albino C. aeneus, panda, and adolfoi. I've also spawned paleatus and aeneus over fine gravel, and saw no differences in behavior. For breeding purposes (and to me, there is no other purpose for keeping fish) bare tanks are preferable because fry are easier to see and feeding is easier to control.
Not entirely true to me CD : The sand allows beneficial bacteria to grow that will "protect" the barbels. Even in a fry tank this is advised

Last edited:

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm interesting. I have some panda cories in QT in a bare bottom tank, with a rock background taped to the bottom as well as the back. They seem ok so far. Should I add a little sand for them?? They have been in QT for two weeks so far. I still need to switch my main tank to sand before I put then in.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm interesting. I have some panda cories in QT in a bare bottom tank, with a rock background taped to the bottom as well as the back. They seem ok so far. Should I add a little sand for them?? They have been in QT for two weeks so far. I still need to switch my main tank to sand before I put then in.
Won't ve a matter of days, but it is a good idea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom