Corydora Aeneus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Al913, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

How old do corydora aeneus get?

I am arguing with someone on Youtube about the size of a shoal and the size tank. He said that having a minimum group of 6 corys or any schooling/shoaling fish is a myth. And that fish do fine in a group of 3-4. He claims he had 5 corydora aeneus in a 10 gallon for 11 years, which I have doubts but do believe it can be possible but it most likely wasn't an enjoyable life.

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

About 5-10 years depending on health conditions/lifestyle and genetics, as well as man made dyes to paint the fish
    They should have had a bigger space to spread their fins but maybe he just got the cream of the crop or something

3. OP
    OP
    Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I decided there was no point in arguing with him since he literally is going against what most of the hobby agrees on. Saying that schooling and shoaling fish is fine in a group of 3 is just a big no no no. :(

He also said how Fishlore has a reputation of being overly critical, and that because I was a member of Fishlore that I wasn't credible :(

4. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

I agree, with such healthy ones I would have loved to had them for myself in a way bigger tank with more cory friends lol

5. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Al, don't let him (him right?) beat you down! You're a great member of the FL community. I can see how he thinks that -- with explaining to beginners it can be difficult and it just hits them all of the sudden that they completely have to redo most of their tank. I've been there... no fun. However, we members do it for the best of the fish, and that's purely what matters most. Some people just don't want to listen. They block you out no matter what you say and keep restating their opinion, and add no more evidence to support it. I think you must must must have evidence to support whatever you're supporting. Otherwise, what's the cause? If you can't back it up, you're supporting nothing of value and nothing of my time. At least most beginners here try to listen and grasp all that's punching them in the face. As long as you tried to support what's right, you know you've done something good. Yeah it probably wasted your time, but you did something good. :) Don't let it stop you from being the great fishkeeper you are! You owe that to many of us fishloreans ;)

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

You can't convince everyone, no matter how valid the argument, and this applies to everything in life. Pets, kids, religion, politics, marriage, and the list goes on forever. And now with common core, even math can be debated

You have to just give your information, but then you MUST let it go. You can't win them all.

In his case, with him having healthy fish living a long life in what Fishlore would consider less than ideal conditions, it reminds me of something I learned from a math teacher, many, many moons ago.

SMYSLAR

Shoveled manure yet smells like a rose. They didn't do it right, but somehow got the right result. This seems to also be part of fishkeeping. Every once in a while you find the exception to the rule.

I like Fishlore because they set the standards high, seemingly higher than most everyone else. We advise cories to be kept in groups of 6+, in at least a 24" tank, at ideal temps based on species. This gives us the best opportunity for success. More room for error, so to speak.
    Is this the ONLY way they can live? No. The fish isn't going to say to itself, "my tank is 6" too short, 3 degrees too warm, and I only have 1 friend, so I'm going to die now." It lives as best as it can in his environment. He may even breed, as instinctively he wants to procreate. This is the reason why people still keep fish in less than ideal conditions: because it works for them.

Just my $0.02

Note: I have 9 cories in a 30" tank with one more adoptee in qt. They are albino aeneus, and the tank is 78F. I only know to do this because of this forum!

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Sorry guys, but he might have been right. Corydoras and definitely aeneus can get up to 20-25 years and older (Cory-guru Ian Fuller had a sterbai of 42 year !)
    There offcourse are several things that shorten their lives.
    One of them is keeping them in small tanks.

8. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Better over-critical with happy healthy fish, than laxidasical mysery.

Just sayin.

9. fishychachki

fishychachkiValued MemberMember

How is being over-critical an insult or a reason to disqualify a person's argument, especially when many people here are going by personal experience and scientific findings? Lol

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Keeping 12 aeneus in about 50 litres (13 - 14 gallon?) for years now. Though I love bigger tanks (less waterchanges / stabil parameters) it's not that bad in my opinion.
    52c0858380dcc9f1a405addeb4ab9c00.jpg

11. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself.
    That is truly amazing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice