Cory won't eat - Page 3

Betta Obsessed

Yes, same with me. I see my gouramis pecking at it... but my corys look healthy, active, and alive, so, like you said, they must be eating something!

david1978

Mine seem to graze all over the bottom. They don't "attack" food like most fish. Guess that's the right word. Lol

Betta Obsessed

Yeah, my gouramis practically lung for the food! Sometimes, if I'm holding my hand over the tank, they think it's food and jump out at it and peck it! I think the corys are okay, though, probably you just never see them eat the food.

matt415

Mine seem to graze all over the bottom. They don't "attack" food like most fish. Guess that's the right word. Lol

Yes maybe I'm just being too cautious haha. I just want to know they're getting more than any little scraps or algae in the tank, but I guess its kinda hard to be sure of that.

david1978

I drop in a few larger sinking pellets about half an hour after lights out. If not they usually don't make it to the bottom. Lol. Then I get fat bettas.

Betta Obsessed

Ha! Omg, so true... I guess it's just hard t keep cory's and know if they're eating or not.

david1978

As long as they aren't real skinny your good. Lol

Betta Obsessed

If they're not skinny, healthy, and alive, you should be good!

DoubleDutch

Matt, they are 99,9% sure wild caught fish.
Crumble the pellets to tiny little bits.
The other fish don't mind the food, the Corys will scavage the whole day to get their share.

matt415

Matt, they are 99,9% sure wild caught fish.
Crumble the pellets to tiny little bits.
The other fish don't mind the food, the Corys will scavage the whole day to get their share.

Interesting, thanks for info.

I will try crumbling up the food and see what happens. Thanks so much.

Fanatic

Hi, my specific cory has been acting very odd, and seems to be under nourished. He eats, but just doesn't look good at all. He has faded eyes, torn dorsals, and a lack of barbel length.

I am going to question DoubleDutch on this topic.

What do you think this could be? He looked similar to how he does now when I bought him.
His biggest attribute that he does, is swim slowly and hovers around the middle of the tank. He does touch the bottom, but he'll just float in the middle sometimes.

IMG_0814.JPG

kbn

he might be old

Lunnietic

Following. One of mine does this but I brought it at adult age. And saw it slowly turn to this. (I brought baby's at the same time that are doing fabulous)

DoubleDutch

Can you post a pic if the substrate ?

Redshark1

Why did you buy a fish looking like that I wonder?

It looks to have suffered a long period of stress. The fins look to have been bitten off, maybe the barbels too.

If young and kept in good conditions I'd say it could recover. Good luck.

Betrayer

If you wouldn't mind answering, what size tank do you have? What are his other tank mates? How long have you had him? The damage to his fins, tail, and barbels were present at the time you purchased him?

Fanatic

he might be old

He’s only an inch long, I don’t know.

Can you post a pic if the substrate ?

The substrate is pea gravel, and none of the others have injuries.

Why did you buy a fish looking like that I wonder?

It looks to have suffered a long period of stress. The fins look to have been bitten off, maybe the barbels too.

If young and kept in good conditions I'd say it could recover. Good luck.

I bought him because there were only three there, and I needed every one. Plus, I don’t leave sick fish at the shop without a reason.

If you wouldn't mind answering, what size tank do you have? What are his other tank mates? How long have you had him? The damage to his fins, tail, and barbels were present at the time you purchased him?

He’s in a 31 gallon, and here’s the stocking.

9 White Skirts
7 Albino Cory
1 Honey Gourami
1 Thicklip Gourami
1 Kribensis
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Nerite Snail (just added him yesterday)

Yes they were present when purchased.

Betrayer

How long have you had him?

Some thoughts I have are:

Since he looked that way at the time of purchase, there is a good chance he was being bullied or possibly was being kept in less than ideal conditions at the store. Hopefully, with good food and care, he will begin to show improvement.

I would suggest keeping the water as pristine as possible. Do you happen to know your current parameters?

What are you currently feeding? Quality food and protein-rich options should be helpful. Shrimp pellets, carnivorous wafers (not algae wafers), and quality flakes would be a good staple diet. Brine shrimp make a nice treat. I'm glad he is still eating. Do you feel he is able to "compete" well enough for the food even with his injuries?

Keep a close eye out for any bullying. Even if your fish didn't cause his initial injuries, they will sometimes pick on a weakened fish or one that is swimming/behaving differently.

In response to your comment about not leaving a sick fish at the shop for no reason. I have a very soft heart too and I know it can feel very tempting to try to "save" a fish that looks weak or ill. There is certainly nothing wrong with that idea. However, the problem is that if you add the unwell fish into an established tank, you are risking the entire community of fish. At least that is the way I have come to look at it over time. If you have a separate QT/hospital tank where the fish can be housed until they have fully recovered, that would be different.

I don't see any obvious signs of illness based on the single picture, but there could be something I'm missing. Illness isn't an area of expertise for me.

Hoping for the best for your cory!

Fanatic

How long have you had him?

Some thoughts I have are:

Since he looked that way at the time of purchase, there is a good chance he was being bullied or possibly was being kept in less than ideal conditions at the store. Hopefully, with good food and care, he will begin to show improvement.

I would suggest keeping the water as pristine as possible. Do you happen to know your current parameters?

What are you currently feeding? Quality food and protein-rich options should be helpful. Shrimp pellets, carnivorous wafers (not algae wafers), and quality flakes would be a good staple diet. Brine shrimp make a nice treat. I'm glad he is still eating. Do you feel he is able to "compete" well enough for the food even with his injuries?

Keep a close eye out for any bullying. Even if your fish didn't cause his initial injuries, they will sometimes pick on a weakened fish or one that is swimming/behaving differently.

In response to your comment about not leaving a sick fish at the shop for no reason. I have a very soft heart too and I know it can feel very tempting to try to "save" a fish that looks weak or ill. There is certainly nothing wrong with that idea. However, the problem is that if you add the unwell fish into an established tank, you are risking the entire community of fish. At least that is the way I have come to look at it over time. If you have a separate QT/hospital tank where the fish can be housed until they have fully recovered, that would be different.

I don't see any obvious signs of illness based on the single picture, but there could be something I'm missing. Illness isn't an area of expertise for me.

Hoping for the best for your cory!

I've had him for about a month now.
My water is not the best right now, but the parameters are in check.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - o
Nitrate - >20

I mean that its not the best because it's got pieces of veggies floating about, and it's a bit hazy because of that. My BN made a mess of his broccoli.
My HOB has floss, but it's not working for some reason. Everything was clear with the water, until my other canister filter stalled overnight.

Taff

HI there, it is very laudable to rescue sick fish from the store.

However when doing it we have a responsibility to it and our other fish especially to put it in a QT /hospital tank.

QT should be normal but especially if rescuing fish already showing signs of stress and possibly disease.

Having a fish with health issues in QT makes it easier to ensure everything it needs is exactly right and that it does not need to withstand other more boisterous tank mates especially in the conflict for the limited foodstuffs we put in.

With a weakened fish the temptation is to overfeed the tank trying to make sure the weakest gets his share of the food.

I realise that perhaps the expense of a large plastic container, small heater, sponge filter sometimes gets neglected but it is a very good investment for what is probably around the $20 mark.

One thing that I use all the time to feed fish is a turkey baster. They cost less than $2 and soaked food can be shot right under the nose of any fish anywhere in the tank. Fish love it to as they chase the food as it is fired; as if they are hunting. A great investment.

Hopefully with good food and clean water any health issues will resolve. It is good however that you are keeping it under enhanced supervision.

DoubleDutch

I don't see malnourished fish to be honest.
The gravel worries me cause it seems that food can get out of reach, possible causing local ammonia / nitritespikes that Corys are the first to encounter. And also can cause bacterial issues.cause of that.
How is the flow in the tank ?

Betrayer

The gravel worries me cause it seems that food can get out of reach, possible causing local ammonia / nitritespikes that Corys are the first to encounter. And also can cause bacterial issues.cause of that.
I agree that the fish doesn't necessarily appear malnourished. Your ideas are definitely worth considering. Fanatic did mention that this particular fish looked this way at the time he purchased him. Also, this is the only cory out of 7 that appears unhealthy. Those facts would make me lean towards the idea that the damage was caused before the cory left the fish store. I could be wrong of course, and I definitely think your theories/suggestions should be considered.

Fanatic - Would it be possible to post a whole tank shot as well as a pic of the healthy-looking cories?

Fanatic

Excellent flow, but I don't see the food sinking down actually, they eat it just fine.

I agree that the fish doesn't necessarily appear malnourished. Your ideas are definitely worth considering. Fanatic did mention that this particular fish looked this way at the time he purchased him. Also, this is the only cory out of 7 that appears unhealthy. Those facts would make me lean towards the idea that the damage was caused before the cory left the fish store. I could be wrong of course, and I definitely think your theories/suggestions should be considered.

Fanatic - Would it be possible to post a whole tank shot as well as a pic of the healthy-looking cories?

Sure, I can get a full tank shot.

DoubleDutch

You're right. Overread that part.

I have had one Cory in my Venezuelanusherd that caught finrot before I got it His name Tailless explains.
Though treated with med it never 100% recovered. So damage could be done before you get fish and sometimes irreversable. The lack of barbells could prevent to eat decent. Still think it doesn't look thin or so.

Hoping clean water and good food will resolve things.

Fanatic

Morning, my plan has been chosen for the day.
I’m running out for some errands and I’m going to drop by the LFS to get bettas for me and my brother. I’m also going to pick up some sand for my 31 , just so the Cory can be happier on a better substrate.

Do you have preferences on certain substrates, most importantly can I buy black sand?

DoubleDutch

Morning, my plan has been chosen for the day.
I’m running out for some errands and I’m going to drop by the LFS to get bettas for me and my brother. I’m also going to pick up some sand for my 31 , just so the Cory can be happier on a better substrate.

Do you have preferences on certain substrates, most importantly can I buy black sand?
Why not. (My choice is PFS btw)

Taff

HI there, JBL do an exceptionally good, fine black sand called Sansibar. It really does enhance the colours of the fish. It is the only substrate I use these days.

Fanatic

Why not. (My choice is PFS btw)

I got some sand! My question is, I really have to remove fish for this rescape, but can I do a 75 percent waterchange?

B2EA7E2C-B059-423A-A1C5-904DF828EAA1.jpeg

Fanatic

Doooooone!
I worked for three hours, and no breaks for anything! My feet are aching, and now I’m upstairs lounging on my couch!

I’ll post some pics when the fish get out of acclimation.

CBDE3863-7115-421A-AB98-DEB6214250E5.jpeg
22012C71-7952-44B2-9552-F5C77B18C5F9.jpeg
643C79D4-5737-4BCE-85BC-D29AA57491D1.jpeg
5F6456B0-2E48-4EB8-B58E-1BE69CA26C04.jpeg
4A61DAC4-C1DE-41C3-90A4-E0A95DA70E47.jpeg
671EDEE8-5FC2-4696-B8EB-A71CA7C88008.jpeg
Here’s some stats about the tank.

I changed 90% of the water, and removed 40 pounds of gravel. I replaced it with black sand, and redid the entire tank. I cleaned off the pipes, and glass. The fish are now back inside the tank after being in a plastic tote for three hours.

I am very happy with how it looks now, but I will be getting new plants for my birthday gift, that’s another story for some other time

Fanatic

DoubleDutch
Fish are settled in, and the water is still a bit cloudy but getting better over time.

I probably won’t be feeding broccolI again, because it just polluted the water badly.

The Cory were huddled together last night, but now they are swimming apart, and actively. I watched them eat this morning, and they did enjoy pushing their head inside the sand.

DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch
Fish are settled in, and the water is still a bit cloudy but getting better over time.

I probably won’t be feeding broccolI again, because it just polluted the water badly.

The Cory were huddled together last night, but now they are swimming apart, and actively. I watched them eat this morning, and they did enjoy pushing their head inside the sand.
I only feed the shortly cooked brocollitrunks

Fanatic

I only feed the shortly cooked brocollitrunks

Yeah, I'll probably do that instead.
What do you think of the sand?

Taff

HI there, the tank is looking great; sand looks amazing and that Cory looks very, very happy.

AllieSten

Your tank looks great! I have black sand with my albino cories. I love the contrast for sure.

Fanatic

Your tank looks great! I have black sand with my albino cories. I love the contrast for sure.

Same here, it looks much more vibrant. I wonder how my dad will respond to the new substrate

I did this while he went on vacation, hehe.

Betrayer

The sand looks really great in your tank! Glad to hear that the cories are settling in and enjoying their new substrate It's a big job to change it all over like that--nice work! Hope your dad likes it!!

Fanatic

The sand looks really great in your tank! Glad to hear that the cories are settling in and enjoying their new substrate It's a big job to change it all over like that--nice work! Hope your dad likes it!!

I did it all by hand, and that was tiring.

DoubleDutch

Looks great !!!

Betrayer

HI Fanatic! How is your tank doing? Does your dad like the sand?

How is the cory with the damaged fins and tail? Showing any improvement?

Fanatic

HI Fanatic! How is your tank doing? Does your dad like the sand?

How is the cory with the damaged fins and tail? Showing any improvement?

Hey EJ! It's doing just fine! My dad was eh, he doesn't like black, haha!
My mom thinks it makes the fish look brighter, and vibrant.

I have news that the cory has gone downhill from previous health.
The kribensis picks on him, and really takes advantage. He's got a shorter dorsal, and no barbels left on his mouth.

Swims slowly, stays hidden from the other 6 cory.

DoubleDutch

Hey EJ! It's doing just fine! My dad was eh, he doesn't like black, haha!
My mom thinks it makes the fish look brighter, and vibrant.

I have news that the cory has gone downhill from previous health.
The kribensis picks on him, and really takes advantage. He's got a shorter dorsal, and no barbels left on his mouth.

Swims slowly, stays hidden from the other 6 cory.
That's why I hate Kribensis. Just like guppies (oopssss sorry)

Fanatic

Do I even try to heal him?
I'm going to do a water change.

Any medications, or special care?

Betrayer

Aww, I’m sorry to hear that your cory’s condition has worsened. If he’s being picked on by your Kribensis and even staying hidden from the other cories, I would personally move him into a hospital tank. Do you have a small tank that could be used for that purpose? I keep an extra 10-gallon that I use for a hospital or QT as needed. I always try to keep some extra filter floss and ceramic rings in my filters that I can move over into the 10-gallon filter when/if I need to set it up. Even a 5-gallon would work fine for this.

If you have something like that available, I would add a thin layer of sand to it and buy some water wisteria, hornwort, or anacharis to float in the tank to provide a sense of security. I’d also add some Indian almond leaves. Then just keep the water clean and feed small amounts of nutritious foods. I think this would be his best chance at recovery. I wouldn’t treat with meds unless you see clear signs of infection—redness, fuzzy growth etc.

eligri

Not a loach, I know. But similar to my other loaches I guess..

Anyways, my Corydoras won't eat. At all.
Don't recall the exact type, but a pretty standard 1 inch corydoras group (4 of them) in a 15-20 gallon tank.
Kept them there for a week so far.
Temp is about 26-27C.
Only other resident in that tank is a betta. They get along fine.

The corydoras school, but won't eat at all and are extremely passive unless startled.

I have tried feeding at night, no success. I have placed the food right infront of them; no success.

The foods I have tried:
Frozen white mosquito larvae. Freeze dried bloodworms. Some form of meaty sinking wafers (forget the name, but quite popular with my shrimp, bettas, pleco and yoyo loaches). Algae wafers. Betta food. Flakes. Shrimp pellets. Granules.
Nothing works.

I keep the tank clean, so params should be fine. Running old filter media and been upp for about 2 months, so it's cycled.

What can I do?

Thanks

Edit: plenty of hiding spots also

eligri

Watched them for about an hour in the middle of the night; didnt even touch the food and barely moved.
They dont look pale and not insanely skinny, but have lost some weight.

DoubleDutch

got a pic ?

eligri

got a pic ?
Nope, not at home right now. They look a bit thin, but no sunken belly.

Katie Dawn

Nope, not at home right now. They look a bit thin, but no sunken belly.
Please take a few pics when you get home and post here. That will help folks here help you!

RayClem

What are you water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?

Bettas are pretty tolerant of water parameters as they often live in isolated pools in nature and live in small containers for the first months of their life.

Corydoras are scaleless fish who are sensitive to water parameters. I suspect this is a new tank since the only other inhabitant is a betta. If the tank is not properly cycled, the water might not be suitable for the corys.

eligri

What are you water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?

Bettas are pretty tolerant of water parameters as they often live in isolated pools in nature and live in small containers for the first months of their life.

Corydoras are scaleless fish who are sensitive to water parameters. I suspect this is a new tank since the only other inhabitant is a betta. If the tank is not properly cycled, the water might not be suitable for the corys.
It's not new, running very old filter media & décor (1-2 years old) and tank itself is about 1-2 months old. Should be fully cycled.

Wouldn't they be more skittish if ammonia was present? Don't have my water test kit at the apartment, but seriously doubt the params are bad. Been doing 1-2 wc's each week and quite minor feedings.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
DaleM
  • Question
Replies