Cory Too Skinny

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My panda cory (I know that one alone won’t work, I’m trying to rehome it) is rather skinny. I feed the cory sinking pellets, but the danios I have in the same tank will often get to it first. How can I fatten up my cory? Thanks.

My tank is 10 gallons. 12 blue danio, 1 panda cory. The tank has been set up for three months or so. The other cory died on Sunday. The parameters were 0, 0, 20 last night.

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is the cory.
6E9C881D-C075-4D7F-9199-21E12F751144.jpeg

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The substrate looks like it's keeping the food out of reach for the cory.

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know. I only plan on having the cory until I can rehome him/her/them, so I’m not changing the substrate. I have started putting the food for the cory in one of those terra-cotta flowerpots in the tank, though. Would that help?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is the pot buried in the substrate? As long as the cory can get to it, it should be fine.

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
Is the pot buried in the substrate? As long as the cory can get to it, it should be fine.
No, the pot isn’t buried.

I just put the cory’s food in, and the danios are already nosing around looking for it. Is there any way to keep them away from the cory’s food? (I already fed the danios, so it’s not that they’re hungry.)

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try feeding after lights out after the danios are resting and don't take notice.

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
el337 said:
Try feeding after lights out after the danios are resting and don't take notice.
I have been. They still take notice.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've read posts where some people took pvc pipes or tubing to drop food directly to the cories. Might be worth a shot.

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
InsanityShard said:
Try using something like a quarantine tank for feeding. That's what I have to do sometimes for my apple snail.
As in, take the cory out each feeding time and move [pronoun] to a separate tank? Wouldn’t that stress the cory out?

mollybabes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest putting him there all the time if you want to do that

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mollybabes said:
I would suggest putting him there all the time if you want to do that
I wouldn’t have room for a full-time cory-only tank, so I probably wouldn’t be doing that.

Right, I’m rather worried now. The cory has been behaving strangely today. (Foraging a lot more vigorously than usual.) I’m scared that he might be starving. The danios keep eating his food. Is there anything I can do for right now to get him to eat? Is he in danger of not making it through the night? Thanks.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would separate him if he isn't able to get to his food before everyone else

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay. How do I do that? Is any old plastic container fine? How much time do I give him to eat? If I just do this to make sure he eats tonight as an emergency measure, does the container need a heater? Should I use tank water, or just tap water at the same temperature with conditioner? Is it better to stress him by moving him now, or leave him and not know if he eats? Thanks.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as its food safe and clean it should be fine. just give him enough time eat whatever you give him, so maybe an hour or so maybe less depending on how hungry and how much he eats, it shouldnt need a heater if its only going to be used to feed him just make sure the water isn't freezing. hmm I would personally rather know he is eating then not knowing

OP
corywand

corywand

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would this bowl be big enough? Does it matter if it’s had soap in it in the past? Does it need to be covered? Do I need to take any special precautions while netting the little dude? (Am I overthinking this?)
B79D70B2-E414-48D8-868B-87B1334BF030.jpeg

New Threads