Cory sucked into filter :(

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

One of my smaller corys was sucked into the intake of my finnex 360 I put a intake sponge and netting around it yet it still happened, what should I do? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406478611.021939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

First, what are you asking right now? Is it still stuck in there, or is it gone? Also, that looks pretty much coryproof, what with the sponge and all. I honestly don't see how it could have gotten into the tube.

3. Andrew Sackett Member Member

The cory is gone now but he got in the tube with the sponge a net being there, I thought of an idea to put a small bottle with slits in on the intake to make like a HOB intake.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would remove that netting, it's possible the cory got the spines on its fins stuck in it & couldn't break free, other fish could also get caught in it

5. Andrew Sackett Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406480676.154710.jpg this is what I've com up with, it doesn't seem to lower the flow at all, I washed it in hot water

6. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

It is sort of like a person living to tell the tale of having been struck by lightening twice--the odds against this happening after you had already taken precautions are similar to the odds of Bolton winning the Premiership, or Maradona saying sorry about the hand ball into the English net:)---could, but never will happen in my lifetime..
    Therefore, while regretting your loss, I do admire your taking further pro-active steps to safe guard your fish, and I truly believe that there was really nothing further that you could have done to protect your cory, so any sense of guilt that you may feel is wholly inappropriate.
    All the best to you, rick

7. Archie1208 Member Member

I think fluval makes a small intake cover (I know Persmart sells them)