Cory Strangeness

1. fish time Well Known Member Member

So basically I was watching one of pepper corys and he was eating leftover peas but then I kept seeing that he kept eating sand and spitting it out repeatedly and then he did like a scratch like thing as if he had sand in his gills and he scratched to get it out is this normal if corys have to much sand in there gills they will do like a type of scratch to get it out it least that's what I saw it as ba9ff416ab39f8b0c98894c90bd44c75.jpg
  2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I dont think corydoras can pass substrate so big like that trough their gills. Corydoras find food by digging in the substrate so totally normal. When they scratch like that its usually parasite related.

3. fish time Well Known Member Member

The other corys are fine though he dose get some in his mouth and spits it out repeatedly which is weird the other corys don't do it though mabey once or twice and that's it

Mabey he is just playing in it I'm not to sure but he did do a scratch movement when I saw he had alot of sand in his mouth
  4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Spitting sand out is normal behavior he is just looking for food. If the scratching continues I would then be worried about the presence of parasites on your fish. Some scratching every now and then isnt really worrying but when it starts to happen all the time then it does become worrying.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Agree with BF. What are they fed ?
  6. fish time Well Known Member Member

My corys are fed peas and algea wafers sometimes
  7. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I was a bit afraid of that. They show this because they are hungry !!
    Corys are 99% carnivores so they should more "meaty" food be fed to stay healthy.

Bloodworms, brineshrimp, shrimppellets, etc... .

8. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Cories are carnivorous so they need meet in their diet. Vegetables and algae wafers don't have to be fed.