Cory stocking question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by freak78, Dec 17, 2012.

1. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Is there like a general rule of thumb of how many can be added to a tank? Like 1 per every 10 gallons or anything like that?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Not really that I'm aware of, I would base the school size on other bottom dwellers and tank size.

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

As Matt said, it depends on tank size. Type of Cory and other bottom dwellers also come into play.

4. OP
    OP
    freak78

Strictly Cory's as bottom dwellers nothing else.

5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Tank size? Minimum tank size for most corries is 29g. Pygmies and such do alright in a 10g if they are on their own but a 20g long is better.

6. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

We need the tank size, dimensions and other tankmates to work that out.

7. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Cory's like to be in groups, so I would definitely not go below 5 of them. It is also recommended to give them plenty of floor space. I've heard some people say a 20 gallon is enough for 5 cory's (depends on size of corys), but I probably wouldn't put a group of cory's in anything smaller than a 29/30 gallon tank.

8. OP
    OP
    freak78

This is more of a general question. My tank is a 55 gallon and I have 8 total. My aquarium info is up to date.

9. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

After looking at your current stocking, I wouldn't add a much more. If you do, just a few. I usually push the limits of my stocking and add extra filtration, so others may disagree.

10. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I plan on stocking my 63g with 10 as the only bottom dwellers...

11. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would think 8 is good for your setup, if you do add anymore I would go with 2 more peppered.

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you have room for 4-5 more peppered corys, to complete their school.

13. OP
    OP
    freak78

No I'm not going to add anymore. I'm happy with the stock. The peppered Cory's interact well with the rabauti cory's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice