Cory : sand stuck on slime?

1. angiet Initiate Member

Hello. I noticed that some of my corys have a few white specs on their heads but I really don't think it's ich. Can the sand they root about in become stuck on there slime?

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

I've have those mini sinking pellets get stuck on some of my cories and it always makes me laugh. So I'd say it is quite possible.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you attach a pic? We might be able to tell what it is.

4. angiet Initiate Member

So I've got some pictures. At closer glance it looks like bits of sand stuck on their slime. I ad a killer case of white spot a while ago and it doesn't look like that. Nothing on my guppies nothing on the cory fins either. They were flashing a few days ago but I did a pwc and it's all stopped now I'll up load the pics

5. angiet Initiate Member

1465733516417.jpg 1465733527301.jpg 1465733535215.jpg 1465733544898.jpg 1465733553823.jpg 1465733561457.jpg

6. angiet Initiate Member

Could it be Oodinium?

7. angiet Initiate Member

Think I've solved it. Cos the one I was worried about who looked covered in little granular things just swam by and was clear of them so I think it's sand and little tiny air bubbles getting g stuck on his slime. Minimal flashing but I've read it's fairly normal in corys.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd be a bit concerned if your fish were flashing.

9. axel Member Member

theres one time my neon poop and sand stick to my cory back...but usually it will gone...just keep observing

10. angiet Initiate Member

Thanks. Apparently they bash them self's at times to get sand and food that is stuck out of there gills. I've read quite a few posts about it.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have never heard that, and I've never seen my cories do that. Not sure how normal that is.

12. angiet Initiate Member

Oh right. Best I do some more reading then
    What did you think of the pictures?

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know, but I'm not sure if I believe that it's sand stuck to their slime coat. None of my fish have had that issue, so I don't know if that's a feasible explanation or not.

14. angiet Initiate Member

So should I treat for ime thing or just wait and watch

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No use in treating if you don't know what it is. I'd monitor to see if they get more spots.

16. angiet Initiate Member

Ok thank you. All behaviour otherwise is normal I've seen the fish flashing twice today it's 7 pm here. I'll keep watching and see what happens ☺ thanks again

17. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've had corys almost give me heart failure thinking they had Ich when they'd had specks of sand on them too.
    I've also had corys flicking to clear their gills but they only do it very occasionally, if yours are doing it regularly then I'd be a little concerned.

18. angiet Initiate Member

Thanks coradee. I've seen it twice today. But I get them skimming through the sand which some posts said that that is normal behaviour. Flashing against the terracotta jar once and skimming through the sand once too.
    I'm 99.9% sure it's sand on him cos when he swims off he showers it down but a little stays on him. Either that or its tiny air bubbles. They look and act really healthy. I lost all my stock a while back due to an evil evil white spot break out so I'm a little paranoid. I'll try and get some better pictures.

19. angiet Initiate Member

1465759878856.jpg

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That looks kinda like ich, but if it comes off while he's swimming, then it must be sand.