Cory pricing Question

1. Falcon JJ Member Member

I picked up a couple more peppered cories today so my lone pepper would have some company of his own kind, since he ignores all the other cories. My preferred LFS was fresh out, so I went to petsmart. I was a bit surprised at the huge difference in prices between the different cory species. The albinos and greens were only like 1.99 each, the peppers were about $6 each, and the sterbai were almost $10 each! My LFS always has the cories at 2.99 each no matter the species, but I will admit they rarely have anything other than albinos. Does anyone know why the peppers and sterbai would be so expensive at Petsmart? They can't be that rare... or are they? Anyway my little guy is a LOT happier now, as soon as I dropped in the 2 new boys, he slammed right into them and proceeded to play "bumper cars" with them for a while. I've never seen him so active! I'm glad I made his day. The boys are loving their new home and settling in well. :D

Attached Files:

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Prices vary wildly over here too peppered, bronze & albino are the cheapest, they are prolific breeders which probably explains it.
    Some corys are much harder to breed & lay fewer eggs, sterbai aren't one of those but are always dearer here too.
    Stores will charge whatever they think they can get for them

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I'd call those prices excellent! Here in Australia in my local area the common corys cost $7.50 ea and that is the cheapest out of 4 stores! Again the cheapest sterbais are around here are $15 ea!

I'm real jealous of you Americans and your cheap fish. :p

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Agree, all those are bred and indeed the cheapest overhere. Only think the Sterbai is a slow grower (can be wrong). Lot of other species aren't bred but almost all wildcaught. They often are more expensive.
    Buy some more at a cheaper LFS.
    They and you will love that !!!..