Cory Near Death- Aquarium At Risk

Steven1999

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone,

I came home from work today to see that another one of my Catfish is severely injured. Can anyone help diagnose this, this is the second time occurring. I think it looks like a gill fungal infection, this seems to happen overnight. Need help bad, I feel like a horrible keeper because I can't find a solution. Thanks,

Steven

Attachments

Steven1999

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This aquarium is new, less than a week with inhabitants. I haven't even gotten around to checking, and only have an Ammonia tester. Should probably go and buy the whole shebang.. Assuming the Ammonia is fine (never had a spike) and also the Nitrate/trite are ok, where do we go from there?

I started it a week ago and added the AquaSafe and CleaningBacteria by Tetra products (DeChlorinator and Beneficial Bacteria)

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven1999

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cool thanks. I have plants in the tank so I assumed that the levels would be ok. I do only have 4 Corys (now 3) in the 10 Gallon, may need to make more places for them to hide

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It the tank is not a week old are you sure your cycled? Your profile says you understand the nitrogen cycle. How many new fish did you add. Need water parameters for sure. Do you keep any Prime on hand, it willl neutralize any ammonia and help the fish... red gills maybe ammonia burn. Truthfully I don't think your cycled.

Steven1999

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have done this with a Betta and the original Cory since I got them and never had any problems with them, other guys can't handle it I suppose. I assumed keeping it up for a few hours and throwing the bacteria in would help solve the problem but guess not.

What will the levels be when I test an uncycled tank?

Also to note I used previous algae covered rocks (shown in avatar), also covered plants. I think if I buy that solution the fish might have a chance.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding bottled bacteria doesn't get you a cycle right off the bat, just supplements if you are doing a fish in cycle making the time a bit shorter... but it still takes a bit of time and doesn't happen in a few weeks. Treat yourself and get an API master test kit, you won't regret it! Then all your bases are covered!

Steven1999

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will test the Ammonia right now, I can check back later and show you guys the full chart.

Thanks I need to hear this and learn the hard way that things don't go poof.. haha.

Steven1999

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ammonia.

Headed off to the shop, be in touch soon. Do you think dosing with the Tetra Lifeguard and also the Seachem Prime would help prevent better? Or just the Seachem should do it?

Also if I were to dose with the Seachems when would be appropriate?

Nitrite and Trate in order, very disappointed that the API Master Kit I bought didn't come with chart readers. It advertised it did.

Nitrite/Trate in order, disappointed the API Master kit I bought advertised chart readers (none in box). Should I still put a dose of both Seachem Stability and Prime in?

The chart readers were on the back of the information kit haha. Any ideas to go forward guys

Going to close this up and use the Tetra Lifeguard tablets to make sure no more infections. Good luck all.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom